Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

khermann

>"I'm old by gamer standards, older than some of the developers, and I've playtested my share of games."

>"Thanks for your stunning insight."

>"are you just ejoying the sumgness of your smartness and breadth of experience, teaching me a valueable life lesson in How To Game?"

LOL.

> butthurting all over the place

> "I love the internet".

Cool story!

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Maybee its just because he is pissed about the constant whine.

The butthurt starts to really reach critical mass, the whine about a (of course) buggy beta that only shows a small part of the whole game is seriously over the top by now. More or less 10 people here do nothing else than constantly whine in every thread how much they hate the game. Why are they even here if all they do is telling everyone how ****ty everything is? Zero constructive help just crying like a baby. Do they do that in real life too? Bitching for 10 hours because they got the wrong fires to their steak? The 50 dollars or whatever they donated to the kickstarter campaing do not entitle them to demand anything. Its a goddamn game do you have zero other interests in live so everything depends on this beeing exactly what you want? Do they think that constantly repeating themself will make people listen? Usually it does the opposite. Do they really think that screaming louder than anyone else makes them more important?

I guess some people need a reality check, I bet that the majority of backers just wanted a nice cRPG in ISO style like they played as kids and do not give zero ****s about the details as long as its fun and the story is nice.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 6

I get it. If I felt compelled to reply to every hyperbolic "check your head,bro" post in a beta forum (ironic in it's own regard, given the context) I would barely have time to **** at home while getting paid to work. ..... probably shouldn't leave that sentence as it is, but.... labor day, bitches, ma drinks ohn, uhhhhngg.. ok so. I love all you guys, let's start there.

So I am not playing the "beta" , as i more or less plainly explained in OP <-- that was me

I'm on another playthrough of D:OS, in which I find combat lackluster but tactically sound, and the latter is more important to me overall, but we all have a level of fidelity that just "feels right" -- for kids this feeling is impressionable, for us old brajes, it just ain't that easy but we still love the spirit of the game. /single tear /pours out a 40

I don't hold grudges. Everyone should be passionate about a cRPG. But I will cut you evaluate your reasoned argument if you try and tell me what you think I know is something I think I know.

edit: more spirit.

Edited by khermann

@Mayama I read that as just general nerves while waiting for the next build that should be here Any Minute Now and make everything all better.

Upcoming: Exhilaration about the things that have been improved, followed by disappointment about the things that haven't, followed by another round of doom, gloom, and butthurt. Rinse and repeat until release, and beyond.

And for those with eyes to see, a pretty cool game in the making.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I don't hold grudges. Everyone should be passionate about a cRPG. But I will cut you evaluate your reasoned argument if you try and tell me what you think I know is something I think I know.

Oh so you are basically posting while drunk.  At least now your posts complete lack of quality and huge amount of idiocy make some sense.  I also appreciate you assuming I was posting just about you, and going out of your way to mention you haven't even played the beta yet think it is okay for you to post about the beta in the beta forums and how bad it is.

Here is some friendly advice.  If you haven't even played it, either take it to the non beta general discussion forum or shut up.  Also maybe don't post while drinking because you just look like a moron.

Meanwhile I did play the early releases of Divinity Original Sin, and yes, it was just as bad on it's first release as the first release of Eternity was.  Maybe slightly less buggy, but not particularly fun to play or interesting either and combat was balanced even worse.

@Junta: Mostly I am just tired of the same broken record posts over and over.  All of us who have played the beta know it has issues.  We gave our feedback.  We know a patch is coming in the next week or so.  There is no point to continue to belabor the point when the things being complained about might have already been fixed.  Or in simple terms.... where I grew up we have a saying.  If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Here is some friendly advice.  If you haven't even played it, either take it to the non beta general discussion forum or shut up.  Also maybe don't post while drinking because you just look like a moron.

:snip:

Or in simple terms.... where I grew up we have a saying.  If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything.

Need to live your advice before you start giving it...cheers kherman

Or in simple terms.... where I grew up we have a saying.  If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything.

Completely nonsensical post, but not something unexpected from the guy who thinks destructible environments and being able to freeze water are the top two qualifications for a BG successor.

I think you are wrong with your basic assumption that PoEs combat is inferior to that of any other IE game, and nothing what you could say is going to change that. Shocking, I know.

Sensuki asking Josh Sawyer about the quality of PoE combat in his RPGCodex interview:

Josh: "Honestly, I think it will take us a while to exceed the complexity of IWD2 fights. IWD2 and BG2 were built with a lot of tried-and-true scripting functions that programmers and designers developed over previous titles and expansions. Like any other feature, AI in PoE is being built from the ground up, so we have to add layers of complexity over time."

Yeah all those people saying herp derp they had better AI in BG2. Why is the AI so ****ty in PoE 15 years later. Its like saying herp derp why cant you build a proper moon rocket... they build the first one 50 years ago!

LOL terrible analogy.

We've got dune buggies driving around on Mars now. We didn't have the technology for that 50 years ago.

Analogy aside I can sympathize with Josh on this point.. Developing a competent scripting system isn't exactly easy..

Developing competent AI on top of that.. even harder..

Edited by Immortalis

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Points that, to me, would be considered in the "Spiritual Successor to Baldur's Gate":

1)  Elements that can affect other elements like Divinity.

- I.e. - Freeze hitting Water making Ice.

2)  Most objects can be destructible.

He? Two things that were NOT in any of the Infinity Engines games, as requirement for a spiritual successor?

I can understand people who cling to every single little detail that was part of those games being disappointed. It is undeniable that some things were lost in transition, a few of them major. But asking for things that were never even considered in those games as features?

I never said "requirement" but I did list a few points that, to me, would be considered in their "spiritual successor" to a 14+ year old game.  Obsidian can incorporate sweeping changes into their "spiritual successor" such as switching from an AD&D universe to their own universe or building environments in 3D or eliminating combat XP in favor of quest XP or including a never-ending stash but the notion of incorporating destructible environments or elements that affect other elements (such as lightning hitting water and shocking people standing in it) is too dramatic? 

Completely nonsensical post, but not something unexpected from the guy who thinks destructible environments and being able to freeze water are the top two qualifications for a BG successor.

I agree that when Karkarov started his post with "friendly advice" in the form of hurling insults and finishes his post with "If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything." it came off a little nonsensical.  Also, I never stated destructible environments and elements affecting elements as my "top two qualifications for a BG successor" ... Please read the above response to Endrosz. 

I agree that when Karkarov started his post with "friendly advice" in the form of hurling insults and finishes his post with "If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything." it came off a little nonsensical.  Also, I never stated destructible environments and elements affecting elements as my "top two qualifications for a BG successor" ... Please read the above response to Endrosz. 

Look, if you haven't played the beta, you have no business speaking to it's successes or flaws and any academic discussion belongs in the general forum. That AND drunkposting just makes you look like a fool.

It's easy to get tired of the same squad of ~8 guys wailing like a broken record about how the game and it's creators suck, are monsters, with nothing productive to add. Maybe you would prefer "if you can't say anything (productive), don't say anything at all" better?

Regardless, you listed graphical gimmicks as top of your list for features you would look for in a BG successor, and that was informative to your priorities to me. Also funny.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 1

Look, if you haven't played the beta, you have no business speaking to it's successes or flaws and any academic discussion belongs in the general forum. That AND drunkposting just makes you look like a fool.

It's easy to get tired of the same squad of ~8 guys wailing like a broken record about how the game and it's creators suck, are monsters, with nothing productive to add. Maybe you would prefer "if you can't say anything (productive), don't say anything at all" better?

Regardless, you listed graphical gimmicks as top of your list for features you would look for in a BG successor, and that was informative to your priorities to me. Also funny.

You have me confused with khermann since I did not drunk post...at least today.

Also, http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67489-the-general-suggestions-thread/?p=1487070.

Yes, I listed some graphical "gimmicks" that I would like to see in PoE.

Oh so you are basically posting while drunk.  At least now your posts complete lack of quality and huge amount of idiocy make some sense.  I also appreciate you assuming I was posting just about you, and going out of your way to mention you haven't even played the beta yet think it is okay for you to post about the beta in the beta forums and how bad it is.

Meanwhile I did play the early releases of Divinity Original Sin, and yes, it was just as bad on it's first release as the first release of Eternity was.  Maybe slightly less buggy, but not particularly fun to play or interesting either and combat was balanced even worse.

@Junta: Mostly I am just tired of the same broken record posts over and over.  All of us who have played the beta know it has issues.  We gave our feedback.  We know a patch is coming in the next week or so.  There is no point to continue to belabor the point when the things being complained about might have already been fixed.  Or in simple terms.... where I grew up we have a saying.  If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything.

heh, butts hurt all over. QQ and GG thanks for the advice, ma. Your ability to sustain a reasoned argument is, well, typical - sad to say. Take anything you want out of context, and relate it only to your perception so you may define all terms of the argument (no matter how myopic) -- and above all - assassinate all credibility against the person with whom you are supposedly "arguing", which is a tactic you avail yourself to in quite pedestrian fashion. I like you. /pat

Good luck with life.

Edit: pat

Edited by khermann

Oh so you are basically posting while drunk.

Amazing, unthinkable, i know. If only there were some path...some person...some great thing I could follow... have I told you about Jesus?

At least now your posts complete lack of quality and huge amount of idiocy make some sense.

Yeah, let's see how this goes, professor persuasion.

I also appreciate you assuming I was posting just about you, and going out of your way to mention you haven't even played the beta yet think it is okay for you to post about the beta in the beta forums and how bad it is.

wrong. i've played the beta a fair bit. I stated that I have decided to stop playing the beta. Thanks for going the extra mile and not clarifying my point with the subtle reference i make WITH ARROW to OP.

Go back, start again.

Here is some friendly advice.

.....so, so friendly. I am swimming in compassion and empathy....devour me!

If you haven't even played it

I have.

<some logically irrelevant bullsh*t>  Also maybe don't post while drinking because you just look like a moron.

Got it. Thanks, mister!

Edited by khermann

Are you guys complaining a clearly still in progress beta isn't as good as a fully released game called Baldur's Gate 2 that has had almost a decade of patching and fan contributions to it again? Could we at least wait for the backer beta to get it's first patch before we keep beating a dead horse? This is a BETA, a REAL BETA. This is what they are all like, get over it.

Maybee its just because he is pissed about the constant whine.

The butthurt starts to really reach critical mass, the whine about a (of course) buggy beta that only shows a small part of the whole game is seriously over the top by now.

MsBTN3d.jpg

The game is not only terrible, but it doesn't resemble the IE games at all. The bugs have nothing to do with the fact that the game is bad.

Obsidian has absolutely no interest in fixing Sawyer's absurd design, so I guess you're right, it might be better to just shut up and watch this game miserably fail. So many people have dropped support of this isometric stealth simulator simply because Obsidian completely ignores their backers.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

We also have this thing called the Golden Rule where I am from panther.  So when kherman acts like a jerk and starts insulting people he basically is saying "I am a jerk and it is okay if people treat me like trash."

Since all his posts either make no sense, just rampantly insult other people, or admit to posting drunk I would find someone else to say "cheers" to.

Good luck with life.

Edit: pat

Thanks, I am holding up fine though.

You have me confused with khermann since I did not drunk post...at least today.

Also, http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67489-the-general-suggestions-thread/?p=1487070.

Yes, I listed some graphical "gimmicks" that I would like to see in PoE.

It's possible to use "you" generally.  I didn't confuse anything.

The game is not only terrible, but it doesn't resemble the IE games at all. The bugs have nothing to do with the fact that the game is bad.

Obsidian has absolutely no interest in fixing Sawyer's absurd design, so I guess you're right, it might be better to just shut up and watch this game miserably fail. So many people have dropped support of this isometric stealth simulator simply because Obsidian completely ignores their backers.

Judging by your forum titles, you didn't have any support to drop, nor are you a backer. I suspect the only face around here that resembles those weeping caricatures is your own.

• Like 4

@Helm Honestly dude, why are you even on the forum spreading negativity among people that are looking forward to the game and actually have invested in the game as well? I get that you don't like the game and it's OK, you are free to play whatever you want and think what you want, but coming on the Pillars of Eternity forums to start a fight is pointless and immature. This topic is a dead end, people like the game and people don't - that should be the end of the story. 

• Like 1

Using it is great, the Ignore Preference, literally like throwing out a chamber pot, since there is no convincing inanimate leaky poo containers to smell like vanilla beans. Let the poor, overworked forum gardeners shovel it off the sidewalk. I mean you can still see it from your window, still see their avatars, but the stink is gone.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Gosh, hard to believe how butthurt some people can get when they have to deal with the truth. Now your whining about the criticizers is even getting personal. :grin:

Bug fixing is not enough to save this game, that is why we have numerous threads about the terrible systems design and how bad the game is. You guys should learn to embrace reality and stop living in denial.

By the way, I am a backer. I just haven't linked my backer account to my forum account. It gives me the freedom to be extremely critical. :) You guys could have figured that out yourselves, but I guess you were too busy flaming all the criticizers and whining about their opinion because they hate the game.

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.