No Arrows Good thing or bad?

ctn2003

Just thought of something and that is the characters being made larger could of been done to make them easier to spot in the grass.I say revert back to the small size and ccut the grass down to just above ankles.We can live without the waist high grass IMO,though many will probably want it as is?

No arrows is not a good thing.

But I already noticed that everything in this game has been dumbed down substantially. Quite sad that Obsidian has failed by making a game that has less depth than Dragon Age. Hopefully this Beta was nothing more than a tech demo and Obsidian eventually redeems themselves.

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Maybe they just skipped on implementing 20 ammunition types before balancing ranged combat speed, reloads and feels. Never know what is bug and what is a feature in beta.

Still I'd prefer to have various types of ammunition. It actually can balance guns, if they will shoot slower and be more powerful and ammunition and gunpowder would be hard to come by.

Yes.  Any benefits you get from specific arrows types can just be handled by abilities.

Abilities? Like talents, and class specific powers (which classes?). Would they be per day or per encounter? And would they apply to firearms too, or just bows and x-bows? And if you enchant your launcher, would these abilities stack with it?

I'm not sure I like that idea. Wouldn't it be easier to just give us arrows? Of course they'd have to rework the inventory, or give us quiver slots, or allow us to make stacks of 100+ of an arrow type so as to take into account that individual inventory space in this game is only 8 slots

Edited by Stun

Stocking up on arrows was one of the most inventory-cluttering aspects of the IE games. Good riddance.

So your answer to that is to get rid of arrows? :facepalm:

Yes.  Any benefits you get from specific arrows types can just be handled by abilities.

So you mean rangers can imbue arrows with fire or acid damage or easier stuff like clicking on add +5 to these arrows I am about to fire off.

Stocking up on arrows was one of the most inventory-cluttering aspects of the IE games. Good riddance.

So your answer to that is to get rid of arrows? :facepalm:

So you mean rangers can imbue arrows with fire or acid damage or easier stuff like clicking on add +5 to these arrows I am about to fire off.

Either.  Both.  Anything is better than carrying around 21 fire arrows which I will never use because I am constantly waiting for the perfect opportunity to use them, which never comes because I don't realize it until too late.

Edited by lobotomy42
  • Like 2

Yes to arrows. I wish they are expensive, and not just an inventory annoyance, but really feel like a resource.

Arrows were pretty expensive in middle age. Probably not as much as a sword, but I would say 5 of them could buy you a short sword.

Well off the mark. Hunters could afford arrows but they'd not be able to afford a sword. Swords were about status much more than usefulness.

When Henry V succeeded the throne, he immediately began restocking the royal armoury in the Tower of London for a foray into France. He set the fletchers of England to begin making arrows, and we have a record of a contract for 12,000 arrows that cost the Crown £37, 10s, which translates to about $25,000.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1e7xa3/how_expensive_were_arrows_and_how_many_did_your/

So (economy of scale for a big order though) that's $2 per arrow.

Swords cost a lot more.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=25025

Even today with our better production techniques it's still about $250 for a sword (maybe a $100 for something like a long dagger or seax)

I'm happy not having arrows although they could add an arrow courier to automatically carry arrows back and forth to me from the wagon...

Edited by hairyscotsman2

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, they can be handled by arrows.

• Like 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

**** arrows, gimmme a codpiece mounted revolver.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Im also against having to buy stacks and stacks of arrows every time I go to town and that the current design of both the enemy hp pools and inventory system would not benefit from having limited ammo.

However I can see how limited ammo would be one way to balance the strength of ranged combat, particulary the guns which deal absurd amounts of damage. And ammo types are always a treat to juggle around even if it ends up being an absurd money sink.

I was not a fan of arrows. They just seemed unnecessary. In BG2, I just went for Firetooth on my Archer even though it sucked compared to Tuigan because I didnt want to deal with arrow foolishness. They took up way too much inventory space and I did not feel compelled to swap arrow types often. If anything, I ended up hoarding a bunch of special arrows and never actually doing anything with them.

• Like 1

I was not a fan of arrows. They just seemed unnecessary. In BG2, I just went for Firetooth on my Archer even though it sucked compared to Tuigan because I didnt want to deal with arrow foolishness. They took up way too much inventory space and I did not feel compelled to swap arrow types often. If anything, I ended up hoarding a bunch of special arrows and never actually doing anything with them.

Which would mean that the firetooth wouldn't be an awesome reward anymore, because it wouldn't be as special anymore. It would just be another bow that doesn't require any arrows just like the rest of the bows in the game.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

A really good thing for me anyway, I easily get bored of buying small things like that. Don't really like repairing gear either. 

Repairing gear was part of the original plan for PoE. Fans lashed out against it, and the idea was killed by OE.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

We want Arrow!! post-85918-0-26388200-1409274817_thumb.gif    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer:_The_Movie

Just kidding no cartoon emo raindeers..

As a massive suggestion to the devs players want arrows implemented (around 70%)  - however both the devs and the players want a good arrow system. So our suggestion is that you make normal arrows unlimited, But have quiver pick ups with limited arrows   If not now its a great Idea to put off for the expansion! 

Love - POE player's :bow:   

Yea players are right 20 arrows is silly have as many as you find.    Leave a bitch ass comment and tell em what you think?

Edited by ctn2003

Make a poll for maximum butthurt.

• Like 2

~~~~~~~~~~~

As long as arrow stacks are massive, that's fine. Even for basic arrows. I just don't want to carry 12 piles of 20 plain jane arrows, 4 piles of 20 +1 Arrows and 2 piles of 20 +2 Arrows.. Stacks of 100 or so are probably fine. And that we have multiple quivers, with a auto-pause on "this type of ammo just ran out!" condition.

• Like 3