No Arrows Good thing or bad?

ctn2003

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/bows.html

I just realized their are no arrows in POE, but is this a bad thing? or a good thing? On the one hand you don't worry about buying arrows all the time and running out in the middle of a fight. For thief's it was a pain because they had to basically live off arrows, kinda like a mage in BG had to live off their 2 spells per day. But on the other hand they where a strategic choice if you had arrows of dispelling you could get ride of a wizerd real fast or if you had arrows of polymorphic (my fav) you could be a squirrel for life. So are we losing somthing or getting ride of a pain? :blink:

• Like 2

Unless they greatly increase the stacks and low cost of arrows ( unlike BG that any arrow user had his entire inventory full of arrows at all times )

It does Not really bother me.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

This game is made for the masses not the hardcore rpger. But, it'll still be fun like other dumbed down games like the KOTOR series. :)

Only in certain respects is this true, but lack of ammunition is clearly one of those. :(

And I don't think it requires a "hardcore rpger" to handle arrows.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 2

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I wanted to do a speed run threw BG as a squirrel. :dancing::biggrin:

can you initiate dialogue as a polymorphed character?

Anyhoo - will miss the arrows but not the running out of them :lol:

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It's a good thing IMO. Adding in arrows just adds more tedium that is inventory micromanagement. All those special types of arrows are better implemented as abilities for the class.

I have actually come to enjoy the inventory management mini-game, personally. Ah well, at least I've still got Wasteland 2 for that. That game is truly going old-school.

• Like 2

I don't mind not having arrows as it is probably more tedious than it's worth. I also think that this means there will be no special type of arrows like fire arrows, acid arrows, etc?

In our PnP sessions we long stopped carrying quivers upon quivers of arrows as it is one of those things that fits into the whole convenience trumps realism and it's not overly important and doesn't really break anything.

As far as how that works for the game? I'm not sure it could hinder you unless there ARE special arrows you can get that override the default arrows? Seems like it'd be cool to just have the bows shoot regular arrows then if you needed to kill a troll with a fire arrow you just put that into your ammo slot and it shoots those instead.

• Like 3

Distributing stacks of arrows between inventories was, without question, my favorite thing in the entire IE experience.

Exactly!

You understand implicitly.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 2

I only like having arrow if they come in different varieties with different properties and abilities attached to them.  If they are only going to have 1 type of arrow in the game then ya it's a pain and waist of inventory space.

• Like 1

I don't think adding ammo into PE is necessary but id like to see it. maybe even infinite normal ammo and you just slot special ammo in when you want to use it.

Note: if special ammo is added you MUST add quick select options from normal UI!!!

• Like 1

Well, arrows/bolts are intended to be treated as a resource usually. They are powerful (allowing you to inflict damage without taking any and whatnot) but, just like say mage spells or cleric spells, you got a limited amount before you need to take a break and get more (via supplies or crafting, etc). You're not supposed to use them all the time, on everything.

If you don't design your game to treated them as such, then yea, might as well remove them totally from the game.

Definetly miss having arrows and bolts of all types.  If implemented though, I would want a very large stack capability (~10K).  Yes I like to horde supplies.  Agree its all easier with unlimited auto arrows but its missing something.  I probably spent endless hours managing inventory in the IE games and enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

I agree with the comments here.  From a nostalgic and realistic angle, I sort of miss them, but that being said I rarely if ever ran out of them.  

One could certainly 'roleplay' that their bow/crossbow-wielding character is just managing this themselves.  :-)