What Can Change before release?

Can anything change before relase or is this just a bug hunt.

Not going to lie don't like the attribute system at the moment, don't like how there is no strength, with might coving melee and magic damage just seems weak.

Also not sure about just xp on quests as this makes it very linear I think in way of advancement.

Would LOVE them adding rolling for stats.

Edited by wpmaura

They will probably not change any major gameplay elements, but I'm sure they will tweak things for balance.

Yeah, out of all the things OP mentioned, dice rolls seem the most able to be added in. 

Adding new attributes plus XP for combat would require an overhaul of pre-existing systems spanning the entire game.

They've talked about it. My impression of what's open to change, in rough order of priority --

Talents. I believe this is the main focus of the beta from their POV actually. They want to hear how we think the classes play, how we want to play them, and add as many talents as they can to support as many styles of play as they're able. (I'm lobbying for ranged talents for fighters and/or rogues, and gish talents for wizards as a matter of fact.)

Balancing. They want to put all the classes in the same ballpark in terms of overall power. If there are OP or underwhelming spells, talents, or attributes, they will be tuned up. This includes adjusting attribute bonuses, combat timing, weapon, spell, and talent accuracy, damage, AoE, duration, and so on and so forth.

General tweaking. If the UI's turn out to be unclear or clunky, they will be adjusted.

Naming of things. I think Josh already mentioned that Stamina is going to be renamed Endurance. If there's a strong consensus about renaming one of the abilities, that might happen too. Same thing for talent names and so on.

Some stuff that's not on the table --

Basic design decisions, like the number of companions, number of abilities and roughly what they mean, RTwP combat, the classes, the XP system, the level-up system, the art style, the music style, the lore, firearms being in the game, romance.

As to the specifics you listed, I'll have to go with hunches: 

• I find it unlikely that Josh would agree to divide damage bonuses for different damage types between different abilities, which would make renaming Might to Strength even less intuitive.
  • The XP system is highly unlikely to change. There is a general butthurt thread here about it though if you need to vent.
  • While technically it would be easy to add rolling for stats, I very much doubt that's going to be there either, as Josh doesn't like to encourage degenerate tactics like clicking on "Reroll" until you get a Yahtzee.
Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

People really need to get over the idea that there has to be a strength specific stat. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword - when you stab someone in the eye with it instead of getting poked in the toe by a rapier.

The attribute system, besides some of the more esoteric points, is a step in the right direction.

The idea that every stat might be useful for every class (though we know it's not at all there yet), is an amazing ideal and it's worth trying even if it's not perfect.

• Like 7

People really need to get over the idea that there has to be a strength specific stat. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword - when you stab someone in the eye with it instead of getting poked in the toe by a rapier.

The attribute system, besides some of the more esoteric points, is a step in the right direction.

The idea that every stat might be useful for every class (though we know it's not at all there yet), is an amazing ideal and it's worth trying even if it's not perfect.

This.

Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Hi Guys.

I have one question.

Do this game will support co-op game like Baldur or Icewind, or only single player?

There's no co-op - single player only.

• While technically it would be easy to add rolling for stats, I very much doubt that's going to be there either, as Josh doesn't like to encourage degenerate tactics like clicking on "Reroll" until you get a Yahtzee.

Adding an option to roll (with still a limit on max-points - so a 'randomiser') wouldn't play against that though.

Point-buy would be the option for those who want to choose, and 'randomise' for those who want to get what they're given.

Rolling to allow points beyond the current max wouldn't be a go.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'm just going to use an editor and max out all the attributes on the main character, mostly because I like to 100% the game and I want to have all the dialogue options opened.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

pen is mightier then the sword when you have a high intellect in order to trick some one, or you have a high dexterity in order to acuratly poke them in the eye, or you are strong enough to push it though there rib cage into there heart.

Lack of a strength function is weak, were are certain weapons only being usable by people who are actually strong enough to use them. The might skill is something you would find in a streamlined mmo.

Have to admit its my huge gripe as I like to fiddle around stats, I like have a big strong stupid fighter not anymore.

PrimeJunta covers the majority of what I think can change before launch. I would make it more succinct and say that anything presently in the game can be tweaked, but nothing will be overhauled. This is fine as no system IMHO is broken, but may require a few tweaks. The XP system is considered broken by some, and I am mentioning it so someone doesn't quote me just to derail the thread.

• Like 1

Anything that makes the game not live up to the standards Obsidian are aiming for, which means it can be more or less than expected. It all depends on where they have their threshold levels. I really do hope that they wait until they're satisfied with the game in its entirety (if not every detail). It's a matter of cost and intrepid instinct, though.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I agree with PrimeJunta above, except that I believe that the XP system could eventually get changed IF it turns out that most players actually want this (which is far from being the case though). 

My point is, they're not going to make a huge change to the game UNLESS it's a crucial point for an overwhelming majority of the beta-testers.

I'm just going to use an editor and max out all the attributes on the main character, mostly because I like to 100% the game and I want to have all the dialogue options opened.

If they added dialogue for low int characters, you cannot have 100% choices available despite having all character stats at max though.

Hmm, now I wish for different dialogue choices for all kind of low attributes.

Edited by sorrowofwind

If they added dialogue for low int characters, you cannot have 100% choices available despite having all character stats at max though.

Hmm, now I wish for different dialogue choices for all kind of low attributes.

Never did a low int runthrough, not really interested in it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

"It is the Pen that is mightier than the Sword. And we are both the Pen and the Sword when skilled modern armies are commanded by intelligent strategies brought upon by a true military strategist." - Anton Slavik

Edited by Giantevilhead

Dude, who did that? I just cheat-coded in my stats and/or cheat coded in the books that made your stats go up: until I MADE my Yahtzee.

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking."

"A dozen more questions occurred to me. Not to mention twenty-two possible solutions to each one, sixteen resulting hypotheses and counter- theorems, eight abstract speculations, a quadrilateral equations, two axioms, and a limerick. That's raw intelligence for you."

-Bartimaeus