Does this game suck?

I'm afraid it is nothing like the first game. 

It is better to view it as a stand-alone, bearing ties to the previous games in terms of lore. Personally, I did not really enjoy the changes they've made at first, but it is not a very bad game. 

Character development works very different. No longer you are able to create a character freely; there is no character creation screen, but you are given a set of characters (four to be precise) with their own personality and their own class. 

They do have a background story and react uniquely on certain events, but they are all bound to their own set of equipment. 

One character, for instance, will always wield guns, but can switch freely between stances (in this case pistols or a rifle), offering some sense of variety in terms of gameplay and strategy.

You cannot, let's say, practice your combat magic to become better at it, but you will make key choices to steer your character into a direction you'd like to see. It offers some variety, but don't expect too much! There is certainly some replay value in this aspect of the game.

Certain things are kind of lacking, the dialogue and voices aren't top-notch, but this is not what Dungeon Siege is known for in the first place. They put effort into creating scenes where you are able to see the person you are talking to - however, their expression remains the same throughout the conversation. It is a little off-putting. 

I'm also not fond of the inventory system and finding loot isn't always exciting. 

Gameplay, overall, is entertaining, often casual, and boss fights can be very challenging. I'd suggest looking up a few videos about it to see if it's to your liking. 

I enjoyed playing this game with a good friend but I haven't played it exhaustively. Just once 8D

If you expect a faithful sequel to the previous Dungeon Siege games, I'm afraid you'll be very disappointed.

I hope this answers some of your questions ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Like they said, it doesn't share any of the mechanics with the previous games, just the setting & lore.

Probably would have worked out better if it'd been called DUNGEON SIEGE: The 10th Legion Returns or something rather than Dungeon Siege III which just creates an expectation of a return to specific gameplay elements that DS3 could never deliver (being a different style of game).

I enjoyed it as a game in its own right, but I can see why people wanting a return of the Dungeon Siege type gameplay would feel put out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Like they said, it doesn't share any of the mechanics with the previous games, just the setting & lore.

Probably would have worked out better if it'd been called DUNGEON SIEGE: The 10th Legion Returns or something rather than Dungeon Siege III which just creates an expectation of a return to specific gameplay elements that DS3 could never deliver (being a different style of game).

I enjoyed it as a game in its own right, but I can see why people wanting a return of the Dungeon Siege type gameplay would feel put out.

As we know that was originally the plan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

To be entirely honest, this game is both kind of not a DS game and exactly what the series needed. Fun story and writing, defined character classes. Much better multiplayer compatibility. Less of DS 1's most obtuse mechanics and it still has the whole world in one screen thing that was the real signature of Chris Taylor's series imo. I'm more likely to play this again than either of the original DS games.

Edited by Blovski

The mechanics are nothing like Dungeon Siege one or two.  That being said I enjoyed the game and it's story, though it was a bit short and the ending left much to be desired in my opinion.  Unlike DS1, I actually replayed it a few times, once as each character.

• 1 month later...

I personally loved this one. The story was better than in the previous ones, replayability was there, the only thing that actually bothered me was the camera. I do hope that Obsidian will make the fourth one (if Square decides to do it).

It's a decent ARPG romp. Very different from DS1/2, and also quite different from Obsidian's core offerings. Has a few unique quirks which, typical for Obsidian, elicit a love/hate response.

For a new direction of the DS series, wasn't that bad as people told me that it was. I enjoyed it. And funny enough, the female characters were quite nicely done, while the male were so-so. Played Katarina first, Anjali second, Rheinhart third and Lucas last. And Lucas was a boring character, probably the worst from the bunch. Wasted potential, as there were signs that might become something better. And as a side note, this was probably the most polished game i've seen from Obsidian.

• 4 weeks later...

If you like D3 you will love DS3. D3 was a horrid cash grab that was pushed out just because they spent so much time to develop the piece of **** (I was an alpha tester).. Don't get me wrong d3 is can be fun for a little while if you play hardcore, but the game is trash. In DS3 on hardcore you and your team have to make tactical choices which really puts the game lightyears ahead. If you like bright colors and grinding for no reason you will prolly like D3 better. I think DS3 is a great game.

• 1 year later...

I'll be honest I didn't even know this was an obsidian game until some time after I completed it, never would have guessed either. It's one game that I won't be returning to.

Edit: not saying the game sucks by any means, if you enjoy action rpgs then you'll probably find some enjoyment. Just nothing special.

Edited by BrotherFerg

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy action RPGs and I did enjoy it.  Still play it every now and then.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man