Why make helmets usless? Personal preference, why not +1 vs Crits?

ctn2003

Other wise all your going to do is sell them for fast cash out of instinct. In IWD they had the same problem so what happened was in future mods they just got ride of them.

Icewind Dale Tweak Pack (Remove Helmet Animations

I understand some of them have magic or some have ability's but that's at higher levels at low levels their worthless. In BG they all gave you protection vs crits and it helps at low levels when you armor iset that great.

Edited by ctn2003
  • Like 7

AD&D or not its a good mechanic and needs to be in POE. Otherwise people down the road wont even bother with them, why would they? i sell them as soon as a go into the game,i mean its 50 CP witch seems to be a lot for a helmet that doset do anything. :facepalm:

• Like 1

AD&D or not its a good mechanic and needs to be in POE. Otherwise people down the road wont even bother with them, why would they? i sell them as soon as a go into the game,i mean its 50 CP witch seems to be a lot for a helmet that doset do anything. :facepalm:

I didn't mean your suggestion, it was a comment on the general uselessness of helmets compared to other rpg's.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

There were useful helmets in Baldur's Gate. The Helm of Balduran comes to mind, and some others offered substantial bonuses as well. Plus all helmets gave added protection vs. crits. That made them useful mechanically, and made the game more immersive.

Helmets are not a decoration, they are a part of the armour, and so must be relevant in defence. Making them an empty fasion statement is just another step towards "consolization" and overall simplification of gameplay, which is exactly what a classical CRPG revival should be AGAINST.

• Like 4

a helmet is the one piece of armour everybody absolutely always wants to have in some form - it is by far the most important piece of protection gear

they should actually have the most influence on armour, if anything - them not having any boni is just ridiculous

• Like 3

who said helmets will be decorative only?

If this is true, this is so... unfortunate, unforgivable and underwheling

• Like 2

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

It has been confirmed that there are helmets that provide bonuses in the game. Based on the statement, it seems like they won't be very common, though.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I like the idea of helmets being rather useless by  providing a constant small benifit like BG ( Crit block )

Then having nice bonuses from fewer and harder to obtain  headware. Not too sure why but i have always seemed to profere it that way. Mabye something to do with having a greater sense of obtainment when getting stat boosts from rare/unique headware.

At the end of the day you can't please everyone.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Theoretically, for the sake of [balance], wouldn't base hoods and hats also have to be given a bonus to compensate for base helmets getting a bonus? I actually don't think this would be a bad idea.

Mmm... that's going too far for "balance" in my opinion. It still has to be believable. All they have to do to make helmets balanced is give a slight accuracy penalty when wearing them to compensate for the benefit. Giving hoods and hats boni as well seems like the wrong way to solve that. :p

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 1

Yea as of right now the helmets just look good...kinda (lol some look silly like the guy in the weapons shop looks like the Disney character Kay from the sword in the stone LOL) so when you get the chance sell your fighters helmet for 50 CP kinda a big waist of development time creating them in the first place...i mean would you miss them if they where not in the game at all?   (yes i understand some have magic and even once in wile a deflection bonus) but its just to rare to justify it. ;(

I think people are missing out on the fact that, given the prevalence of hoods, hats, and helmets with bonuses, even in the beta, your party is going to be awash in headgear with various bonuses in PoE and the probability of any of your characters wearing a "base" helmet a few hours into the game will be very low, unless you are wearing it purely for aesthetic reasons.

• Like 1