Sensuki's Suggestions #012: Non-Terrible Main HUD [Mockup]

Sensuki

My main concen at this point with the HUD is simply the size of things; icons on character portraits (and spell/ability icons) are too small to easily make out what they are, combat log is too cramped to be able to read what's going on.  I don't feel like I can really judge how I feel about placement as long as those are the case, though I will say that I definitely agree on not understanding why the centre element is something we'll be clicking comparatively rarely.

• Like 2

Only they aren't and he has already done it in two different threads both of which got actual dev responses explaining their reasons that he refused to listen to.

Now let's not get in to that, if it was up to the devs we wouldn't even have a solid UI. What the devs think we want and what we want are often 2 different matters.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Only they aren't and he has already done it in two different threads both of which got actual dev responses explaining their reasons that he refused to listen to.

Now let's not get in to that, if it was up to the devs we wouldn't even have a solid UI. What the devs think we want and what we want are often 2 different matters.

You should replace "we" with "I" because people usually can speak for themself.

Edit: no offense 

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 1

You should replace "we" with "I" because people usually can speak for themself.

Edit: no offense 

No offense taken, but both of my "we" stand. The "we"=/="all". Also I'm sure they won't mind. :p

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I never understood why the combat log was on the right side when most people read left to right anyway.

Do we know if the UI is locked in terms of the way it looks now is the way it will look in the final release? Or is there some room for updates on its position or the ability to move it around?

I never understood why the combat log was on the right side when most people read left to right anyway.

Do we know if the UI is locked in terms of the way it looks now is the way it will look in the final release? Or is there some room for updates on its position or the ability to move it around?

It's not locked, it's not even finished yet. And thank god for that because as it's now is bad.

• Like 1

Yup. UI elements need to be customizable as to location (the only acceptable option for a PC game made in the year 2014 IMO - I mean really... it's like customizable FoV or rebindable keys...) or at the very least reworked to more ergonomically appropriate locations.

• Like 3

They should combine the combat log and UI icons together into one simple graphical UI in the middle of the screen. Then the player has the choice of where he wants the portraits and even have the choice to put them on the left/right side of screen.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 1

Calibrating...

I think they should have the combat log in the middle, but all the UI icons surrounding the combat log to save up screen real estate. Then the player has the choice of where he wants the portraits and even have the choice to put them on the left/right side of screen.

Save up screen space. Yes that the most important thing. Some guys here seem to really forget that you dont play "UI the game" you use the UI as a crutch to help you with mechanics you cant deal with in any more elegant way. Personaly I would make it possible to switch out all parts of the guy. Hide the menu behind a tab that you can expand and make the ugly combat log transparent.

All that talk about the omg important combat log makes people forget that their shouldnt be a combat log in the first place. Everything should be readable without the combat log.

• Like 1

^ You mean floating numbers?

Well it all depends on how precise you want the system to be. Its very hard to show hp (or the loss of it) without a UI element in a game like PoE. Most successfull attempts were made in games with one character because its easier to focus on one unit. A good example would be trespasser, the hero had a heart tattoo on his chest that lost blood and turned paler everytime you lost hp. OK the character had the UI on his body but it was a clever way to build it into the game. 

I think they should have the combat log in the middle, but all the UI icons surrounding the combat log to save up screen real estate. Then the player has the choice of where he wants the portraits and even have the choice to put them on the left/right side of screen.

Save up screen space. Yes that the most important thing. Some guys here seem to really forget that you dont play "UI the game" you use the UI as a crutch to help you with mechanics you cant deal with in any more elegant way. Personaly I would make it possible to switch out all parts of the guy. Hide the menu behind a tab that you can expand and make the ugly combat log transparent.

All that talk about the omg important combat log makes people forget that their shouldnt be a combat log in the first place. Everything should be readable without the combat log.

I OTOH would like pretty much the exact opposite, especially on the transparent combat log.

I hate 'floaty' transparent UI elements, the solidity of the IE UI was wonderfull and something I very much want back in this game.

• Like 3

Everything should be readable without the combat log.

Specifics would be nice.

I think the combat log should only exist to give you an insight about what happened when everything went south and your party died. Imo you shouldnt be forced to look at it, even on very hard difficulty, in a "normal" game situation. You dont play scrolling spreadsheet the game.

I OTOH would like pretty much the exact opposite, especially on the transparent combat log.

I hate 'floaty' transparent UI elements, the solidity of the IE UI was wonderfull and something I very much want back in this game.

Whats so good about a solid UI? I ask that because I personaly cant see any benefit. 

It removes space from the actual game.

It produces extra noise and clutter.

The only reason why games had those UI's in the past was because the grafik engine didnt need to render the whole screen.

No.

Edit: F*ck no.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1