Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Talents what would be wanted, and what is needed.

Talent Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Headbomb

Headbomb

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Headbomb: Those were excellent! Nice job. You wouldn't be DM-ing by any chance? :)

I've DM'd in the past. But those are mostly Fallout-flavoured talents.

• IndiraLightfoot and Matt516 like this

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What's this? A "Backer Beta Discussion" thread that has remained constructive and respectful for two whole pages? That's just... unnatural! Quick, someone make an opinionated comment on combat XP, attribute systems, or the extent to which this game should be like BG2!

:fdevil:

Joking aside, I do particularly like the idea of metamagic talents like:

Wizard/Priest/Druid

Shaped discharge: You can cast circle area spells with the cone shape

...but I fear it's probably too late (at this stage in development) to consider talents that may require additional UI features.

• Ganrich likes this

Marky

Marky

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Zealot - a talent that increases the bonus of following the way of their belief.

I actually really hope there's something like this in the final build... There's a talent in the Beta to reduce the negative effect of not following the Creed of your chosen Faith/Conviction on Priests and Paladins. I would rather like one that increases the effect.

I think this would be even more interesting if it also had the effect of increasing the penalty for going against your cause/deity/order.

That was very much the idea. But that would almost never be relevant, as only the ones who actually roleplay the character to follow the path, would take this trait anyway. It would only serve to punish those that take the talent by mistake/misunderstanding.

I like the idea of role-playing a priest (or any character), who is reconsidering/struggling with his beliefs. Especially in my first playthough when the game's lore and world is still new to me.

• Ganrich likes this

Lasweetlife

Lasweetlife

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I find it ironic that the topics that are mainly ****posting and circular arguments have dozens of pages while this one that requires critical thought and may actually contribute positively to the game is relatively barren.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Barren? Jeez, the signal to noise ration ITT is incredible. It also has some of the best and most constructive suggestions on the beta that have been posted here too. Except now we're adding noise.

Mods, pin this maybe? Or find some other way to make sure the devs see it?

• JFSOCC and Answermancer like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Some general use talents

Armor Expertise: Speed penalty reduced in armor
Hardy: Reduced effects from poison and disease
Devastating Critical: Increased effect from critical hits
Lucky: Convert X% of criticqls into hits, hits into grazes, graze into miss

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I find it ironic that the topics that are mainly ****posting and circular arguments have dozens of pages while this one that requires critical thought and may actually contribute positively to the game is relatively barren.

I figure if someone criticized BG2 for not having Talents/Perks/Feats, we would be in for a slap fight.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1901 posts

Barren? Jeez, the signal to noise ration ITT is incredible.

Hunter: Gain xp from killing monsters  :fdevil:

• Volourn, Matt516 and Namutree like this

Headbomb

Headbomb

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts

Moderator: Lock topic, every poster in 10 m range is banned.

• PrimeJunta and Ganrich like this

Headbomb

Headbomb

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts

More on topic now,

Skilled: +6 skill points to spend

Jack of All Trades: +1 to all skills

Skill focus: +2 to <skill>

Now some high level ones:

Fighter -- Phalanx: When standing next to another character equipped with a shield, you both share half your shield's deflection with each other. For example, if your shield is 20 def, Bob's is 10 def, James' is 5 def, taking the feat would give you 20 (base) + 1/2*10 (from Bob) +1/2*5 (from James) = 27.5 def. Bob would have 10 (base) + 1/2*20 (from you) = 20 DT, and James would get 5 (base) + 1/2*20 (from you) = 15 def. Stacks with other phalanxes.

Rogue -- Merciless Flanker: Whenever you flank, everyone's flanking bonus is doubled. Stacks with other merciless flankers. For example, if you have 4 character flanking, including 2 Merciless Flankers, everyone's flanking bonus is tripled.

Wizard -- Delementalist (modal): Mode 1 [Sustained Delementalist]: Damaging with an elemental type decreases the defenses against that element by 25%, but raises defenses against all others by 15%. Stacks with itself. Mode 2 [Versatile Delementalist]: Damaging with an elemental type raises the against that element by 25%, but decreases defenses against all others by 15%. Stacks with itself.

Chanter -- Choir of One: You can sustain three voices in parallel, but the third one is restricted to level 1 chants.

Paladin -- Flames of True Belief: Flames of Devotion now target all enemies in a medium-ish area. Main target takes double damage.

Barbarian -- Brutal Carnage: Carnage damage is doubled, and always targets the lowest defense of deflection or fortitude.

Cipher -- Shared Horrors: The results of your psychic attack are so disturbing that every successful use of a targeted ability reduces the will defence of the target and every surrounding enemies by 5.

Ranger -- Bond of Flesh and Soul: Rangers and their animal companions now both use the highest of either's defenses.

Monk -- Chiropractor: After a fight, monks can voluntary cripple or main themselves in order to regenerate half their current damage.

Druid -- Can you smite me now? (Modal): Gain immunity to 1 elements, but 33% weakness towards all others.

Priest -- Bane of the Faithless: Every area spell give half the opposite corresponding benefits to allies, and half the opposite corresponding penalties enemies both sides defenses and attacks. E.g. Armor of Faith increases the DT of allies as usual, but now also decreases the DT of enemies by half the increase given to allies.

Edited by Headbomb, 27 August 2014 - 03:33 PM.

• PrimeJunta, Lychnidos, Ineth and 2 others like this

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Vanguard(active) - The fighter adopts a more offensive combat strategy, concentrating on relentless assault. He receives a bonus to Attack Rate, but at the expense of Deflection. Can not be active at the same time as Defender.

Two-Handed Weapon Specialization(passive) - Trains the character in the use of Two-Handed weapons, gaining a bonus to damage with all weapons of that type.

Single Weapon Specialization(passive) Trains the character in the use of Single-Handed weapons, increasing the Critical Hit Range with all weapons of that type.

Shield Specialization(passive) - Trains the character in the use of the Shield, gaining a Deflection bonus with all shields and slightly reducing the Attack Rate penalty.

Mage Hunter(passive) - The paladin has dedicated his life to finding and eliminating practitioners of evil magic, gaining a Damage Threshold and saving throw bonus versus all spells.

Divine Guidance(active) - The priest calls upon divine guidance, gaining a bonus to Accuracy depending on his Resolve. Lasts X seconds.

Divine Strength(active) - The priest channels the power of his deity, increasing the damage he deals with weapons depending on his Resolve. Lasts X seconds.

Element of Surprise(passive) - The rogue scores an automatic critical hit with his first attack against an enemy that is not engaged in combat.

Unfair Advantage(passive) - The rogue gains a bonus to Attack Rate for X seconds, whenever he scores a Critical Hit.

Poison Weapon(active) - The rogue coats his weapon in deadly poison. A successful attack will have a chance(Fortitude save) to poison the enemy inflicting X damage per second, for X seconds. Lasts X seconds.

Bloodlust/The Thrill of Victory(passive) - The barbarian recuperates a small amount of stamina whenever he deals the killing blow.

Resilience(passive) - If the character fails a saving throw, he gains a second roll for reducing the duration of the negative effect.

edit: I think talents should have an attribute and/or level requirement.

Edited by Seari, 27 August 2014 - 04:18 PM.

• PrimeJunta, JFSOCC, Lychnidos and 1 other like this

Lasweetlife

Lasweetlife

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I can live with level requirements for talents but I would be vehemently against attribute requirements. Given the fact that I allocate my attributes before I even start the game, it would infuriating to reach level 5 and realize that a new talent, which would otherwise be perfect for my character, has opened up but because of a somewhat arbitrary decision I made 20 hours ago, I can't choose it (This is different from class-gating of talents in that a class is a significant decision while whether my might is 10 or 11 is in fact largely arbitrary).
  • lolaldanee and Lychnidos like this

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Ah, you're right, since we don't increase attributes with level.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I can live with level requirements for talents but I would be vehemently against attribute requirements. Given the fact that I allocate my attributes before I even start the game, it would infuriating to reach level 5 and realize that a new talent, which would otherwise be perfect for my character, has opened up but because of a somewhat arbitrary decision I made 20 hours ago, I can't choose it (This is different from class-gating of talents in that a class is a significant decision while whether my might is 10 or 11 is in fact largely arbitrary).

I can understand this line of thinking. I was suggesting attribute requirements being more prominent than class requirements, but those talents linked to attributes would have to play off certain very expected things: a talent that requires perception should play off interrupts for instance, while a talent that increases raw damage requires might, etc. These don't have to exclusively require attributes either they could require the attribute being at a certain level "or" require a prerequisite talent "or" a certain class. Any one of these things could unlock it.

Another thing I was suggesting was requiring intellect to allow a class to select some spell oriented talent. This would make sense logically. My talent suggestion "Arcane Gift" requiring some intellect for a Barbarian would make sense as a Barbarian learning to use his would to cast spells requires so critical thinking. Where a Wizard picking this talent would gain a level 1 spell slot in his grimoire, and an intellect requirement would follow the IE games allowing more spells for higher main stat. So it still makes sense.

All of this would require complete transparency of the talents in a manual or at character creation though, and would require adhering to Josh's "No bad builds" policy.
  • Seari likes this

Wintersong

Wintersong

Tempest of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

For me the main issue would be the lack of information about what you will be able to choose down the road. Once you know the system, it's ok but when you are playing blind... you are correct. I don't mind attributes/stats as requeriments. To a point, I think that it's better that way. But as a player and if those are used, I'd like to be able to see all the information while creating my character (or prior to that) so I can plan ahead.

I'd love to be able to check all the info even if there weren't stats requeriments (without going to the internetz in search of wikias). Like an menu option called Scrolls of Sophia where you check all the stuff (and updated as the game gets updated/fixed). One can dream. :blush: 

Skilled: +6 skill points to spend
Jack of All Trades: +1 to all skills
Skill focus: +2 to <skill>

Where do I sign for those? :woot:

farleybear

farleybear

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I kinda think that Rangers should have access to some - maybe limited - melee talents. They feel a bit railroaded as solely ranged/animal meat shield. I'm thinking something along lines of a 'co-ordinated assault'; you and your animal companion launch into a ferocious co-ordinated melee attack on a designated target.    

• lolaldanee, Lychnidos and Ganrich like this

Ganrich

Ganrich

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Rangers do seem a bit too "Archer only" atm. I would love to see talents flesh out their melee prowess.

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

Some talents with drawbacks would be nice.

Headbomb

Headbomb

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts

Poisoned The Well: Stamina healing effect are doubled, but you have an allergic reaction the magic involved, and become poisoned after receiving it.

Blind Marksman: You always hit a target... but not necessarily the one you meant.

Drunken Student: You drunken stumbling and fumbling makes you unpredictable and harder to hit... but the world's just as hard to hit for you (+20 Deflection, -20 Accuracy)

There you go.

Edited by Headbomb, 28 August 2014 - 06:31 AM.

• Lychnidos and Mayama like this

Mayama

Mayama

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

Poisoned The Well: Stamina healing effect are doubled, but you have an allergic reaction the magic involved, and become poisoned after receiving it.

Blind Marksman: You always hit a target... but not necessarily the one you meant.

Drunken Student: You drunken stumbling and fumbling makes you unpredictable and harder to hit... but the world's just as hard to hit for you (+20 Deflection, -20 Accuracy)

There you go.

As fun as those skills sound I doubt anyone will ever use them :p

also this: Drunken master: Beeing plastered gives you +X bonus to might, constitution and dexterity, you have no control over the character in fight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Talent, Recommendation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users