Talents what would be wanted, and what is needed.

Ganrich

Vanguard(active) - The fighter adopts a more offensive combat strategy, concentrating on relentless assault. He receives a bonus to Attack Rate, but at the expense of Deflection. Can not be active at the same time as Defender.

Two-Handed Weapon Specialization(passive) - Trains the character in the use of Two-Handed weapons, gaining a bonus to damage with all weapons of that type.

Single Weapon Specialization(passive) Trains the character in the use of Single-Handed weapons, increasing the Critical Hit Range with all weapons of that type.

Shield Specialization(passive) - Trains the character in the use of the Shield, gaining a Deflection bonus with all shields and slightly reducing the Attack Rate penalty.

Mage Hunter(passive) - The paladin has dedicated his life to finding and eliminating practitioners of evil magic, gaining a Damage Threshold and saving throw bonus versus all spells.

Divine Guidance(active) - The priest calls upon divine guidance, gaining a bonus to Accuracy depending on his Resolve. Lasts X seconds.

Divine Strength(active) - The priest channels the power of his deity, increasing the damage he deals with weapons depending on his Resolve. Lasts X seconds.

Element of Surprise(passive) - The rogue scores an automatic critical hit with his first attack against an enemy that is not engaged in combat.

Unfair Advantage(passive) - The rogue gains a bonus to Attack Rate for X seconds, whenever he scores a Critical Hit.

Poison Weapon(active) - The rogue coats his weapon in deadly poison. A successful attack will have a chance(Fortitude save) to poison the enemy inflicting X damage per second, for X seconds. Lasts X seconds.

Bloodlust/The Thrill of Victory(passive) - The barbarian recuperates a small amount of stamina whenever he deals the killing blow.

Resilience(passive) - If the character fails a saving throw, he gains a second roll for reducing the duration of the negative effect.

edit: I think talents should have an attribute and/or level requirement.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 4

I can live with level requirements for talents but I would be vehemently against attribute requirements. Given the fact that I allocate my attributes before I even start the game, it would infuriating to reach level 5 and realize that a new talent, which would otherwise be perfect for my character, has opened up but because of a somewhat arbitrary decision I made 20 hours ago, I can't choose it (This is different from class-gating of talents in that a class is a significant decision while whether my might is 10 or 11 is in fact largely arbitrary).

• Like 2

I can live with level requirements for talents but I would be vehemently against attribute requirements. Given the fact that I allocate my attributes before I even start the game, it would infuriating to reach level 5 and realize that a new talent, which would otherwise be perfect for my character, has opened up but because of a somewhat arbitrary decision I made 20 hours ago, I can't choose it (This is different from class-gating of talents in that a class is a significant decision while whether my might is 10 or 11 is in fact largely arbitrary).

I can understand this line of thinking. I was suggesting attribute requirements being more prominent than class requirements, but those talents linked to attributes would have to play off certain very expected things: a talent that requires perception should play off interrupts for instance, while a talent that increases raw damage requires might, etc. These don't have to exclusively require attributes either they could require the attribute being at a certain level "or" require a prerequisite talent "or" a certain class. Any one of these things could unlock it.

Another thing I was suggesting was requiring intellect to allow a class to select some spell oriented talent. This would make sense logically. My talent suggestion "Arcane Gift" requiring some intellect for a Barbarian would make sense as a Barbarian learning to use his would to cast spells requires so critical thinking. Where a Wizard picking this talent would gain a level 1 spell slot in his grimoire, and an intellect requirement would follow the IE games allowing more spells for higher main stat. So it still makes sense.

All of this would require complete transparency of the talents in a manual or at character creation though, and would require adhering to Josh's "No bad builds" policy.

• Like 1

For me the main issue would be the lack of information about what you will be able to choose down the road. Once you know the system, it's ok but when you are playing blind... you are correct. I don't mind attributes/stats as requeriments. To a point, I think that it's better that way. But as a player and if those are used, I'd like to be able to see all the information while creating my character (or prior to that) so I can plan ahead.

I'd love to be able to check all the info even if there weren't stats requeriments (without going to the internetz in search of wikias). Like an menu option called Scrolls of Sophia where you check all the stuff (and updated as the game gets updated/fixed). One can dream. :blush: 

Skilled: +6 skill points to spend

Jack of All Trades: +1 to all skills

Skill focus: +2 to <skill>

Where do I sign for those? :woot:

I kinda think that Rangers should have access to some - maybe limited - melee talents. They feel a bit railroaded as solely ranged/animal meat shield. I'm thinking something along lines of a 'co-ordinated assault'; you and your animal companion launch into a ferocious co-ordinated melee attack on a designated target.    

• Like 3

Your fun is wrong.

Poisoned The Well: Stamina healing effect are doubled, but you have an allergic reaction the magic involved, and become poisoned after receiving it.

Blind Marksman: You always hit a target... but not necessarily the one you meant.

Drunken Student: You drunken stumbling and fumbling makes you unpredictable and harder to hit... but the world's just as hard to hit for you (+20 Deflection, -20 Accuracy)

There you go.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 2

Poisoned The Well: Stamina healing effect are doubled, but you have an allergic reaction the magic involved, and become poisoned after receiving it.

Blind Marksman: You always hit a target... but not necessarily the one you meant.

Drunken Student: You drunken stumbling and fumbling makes you unpredictable and harder to hit... but the world's just as hard to hit for you (+20 Deflection, -20 Accuracy)

There you go.

As fun as those skills sound I doubt anyone will ever use them :p

also this: Drunken master: Beeing plastered gives you +X bonus to might, constitution and dexterity, you have no control over the character in fight.

I thought it would be neat to tie weapon specialization talents in after selecting the initial weapon grouping.

Jagged Blade (prereq. ruffian weapons talent): You ground teeth into the blade of your weapon.  Bleeding damage increased with sabres/Bleeding damage added to stilettos.

Poisoned Blade (prereq. ruffian weapons talent): You coat your blades with poison to great effect.  Stilettos now do corrosive damage over time.

Blood Letter (prereq. ruffian weapons talent): Sabre's bleed damage duration is increased.

• Like 1

More on topic now,

Skilled: +6 skill points to spend

Jack of All Trades: +1 to all skills

Skill focus: +2 to <skill>

This is nice, very nice.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread. I'll toss out a couple more for those that want non-combat options:

Mutual Cooperation: Skill values all NPCs members are combined and divided by the number of NPCs in the party. The result can be added to the PC for a single skill check. Limited use, of course (once per rest). To illustrate, let's say there's a Lore check that you want your PC to pass, but you have a low score. Combined, your 4 NPCs have a score of 21 in Lore. 21/4 = 5 (round down). You can add 5 to your Lore check.

Beast Whisperer: the character can use this spell/talent to automatically subdue a group of critters (number would perhaps depend on level or an attribute?) making them docile so they won't attack. Once per rest.

Smokescreen: the character can cast an AoE smoke screen, which reduces the field of perception of all creatures in the AoE (possibly allowing you to sneak past them). Couple times per day.

Mass Illusion: the character can cast an illusion that creates a perfect simulation of the party, thus drawing monsters away to attack the illusions. Medium to long range (when the mobs attack the illusion, this would not count as the party actually being in combat. The party could then sneak by without engaging).

Bend the Will: the character can dominate the will of one opponent, making them docile and non-aggressive. (useful if you want to get past that one guard at the door) When the spell wears off, the affected character is not hostile (they have no memory of the event), unless the party is within sight. Once per day.

also this: Drunken master: Beeing plastered gives you +X bonus to might, constitution and dexterity, you have no control over the character in fight.

Well they weren't meant to be particularly appealing :p. I had more with a better balance of tradeoffs a few posts ago however.

I'd. :blush: 

Magran's Chosen

You gains a bonus to accuracy, damage and speed while using guns of any kind.

Ondra's Touch

3/Encounter

You basically use Lay on Hands, like a Paladin.

Woedica's Insight

1/Rest

Reset all cooldowns/uses of one of your skills or spell levels.

Berath's Blessing

Modal

Once per rest, the first time that you reach 0 Stamina, you regain a X% of Stamina back.

Faith guides my hand

Modal

All your grazes with melee attacks are converted into hits.

Guns of the Navaronne: You are now able to dual wield pistols, although with -10 accuracy to each.

Superfly TNT: Blow yourself up by expanding ALL your remaining spells, affecting everyone in an area of <x> per spell level expanded. You deal 5 damage (5 physical, 5 burn, 5 acid, 5 shock, 5 freezing, 5 poison...) per spell level expanded. E.g. if you have 3 lvl 1, 2 lvl 2 and 2 level 3 spells level left (3x1 + 2x2 + 2x3 = 13) you deal 13*5 = 65 physical, 65 fire, ... to everyone in a 13 <x> area. Including yourself.

Mushroom Cloud-Laying Mushermucker: Acid and Poison spells now also have a chance to confuse your enemies.

Some will get the references I'm sure.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 1

I think generally there should be talents that allow a character to compensate, to some degree, for the shortcomings of his or her class in regards to base melee and ranged accuracy, deflection bonus, health bonus, and movement speed. For example, if your character is a cipher, you could take a talent that would bump your melee accuracy from high to average or bump your deflection bonus from low to average. I think this would really add to the flexibility of each class.

I think generally there should be talents that allow a character to compensate, to some degree, for the shortcomings of his or her class in regards to base melee and ranged accuracy, deflection bonus, health bonus, and movement speed. For example, if your character is a cipher, you could take a talent that would bump your melee accuracy from high to average or bump your deflection bonus from low to average. I think this would really add to the flexibility of each class.

I agree with this.  I think all classes get 4 talents from 1-12 (levels 3,6,9,12).  Fighters get more, but I don't know if any other class does.  Either way, a talent is a rather large investment, and being able to swap your accuracy bonus from melee to ranged (or vice versa)  should be allowed.  That said, almost every spell gets +10 to accuracy on it.  So IMHO the system would have to only allow that bonus on weapons, and not on spells.  Because a Chanter who gets a kind of crappy ranged accuracy, but a good melee accuracy, using that to become ranged could become quite OP (at launch... I know they are OP at present). 

I would almost think it should work similarly to a Weapon Focus talent and require you to select a certain weapon set to do it. 

Some for casters

* Spellshaper (passive): When casting an negative area effects spells affecting all creatures, one ally included in the area will not suffer the consequence. Vice-versa for positive areas effects.

** Advanced Spellshaper (passive): When casting an negative area effects spells affecting all creatures, two allies included in the area will not suffer the consequence. Vice-versa for positive areas effects.

*** Expert Spellshaper (passive): When casting an negative area effects spells affecting all creatures, three allies included in the area will not suffer the consequence. Vice-versa for positive areas effects.

* Bright Candle (3/rest): The next spell gains +10 accuracy, and deals maximum effect [damages/durations], but at double the casting cost.

Some for Others

* Thousand cuts (3/rest): Over the next 10 seconds, your perform a series of quick jabs (basic attack at 5x the rate) dealing the minimal damage of your weapon if it hits.

* Leaf in the Wind (1/encounter): Over the next 10 seconds, enemies cannot interrupt your movements, and all AoO miss you.

* Night owl (passive): You stamina regen increases by 2/second during the night (8 PM to 8 AM)

* Early bird (passive): You stamina regen increases by 2/second during the day (8 AM to 8 PM)

* Axe to Grind (passive): Whenever you kill, your next 3 attacks deal maximum damage if they land.

* Baker's Dozen (passive): Every 12th swing deals double damage if it lands

* Son of a Gun (passive): Reload times with all guns are cut by 25%.

* Surefooted (passive):  Can't get knocked down / tripped

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 1

Some more:

Blabbermouth (active, 1/rest): While chanting, any enemy actions has a chance of being interrupted (0.5% chance per Resolve point).

Heads or Tails (passive): Knockdown effects will sometimes (25%) cause people to become confuse instead. Confusion effects will sometimes (25%) cause people to become prone instead.

Jump the Gun (passive): The first gunshot aimed at you will always miss.

Piper at the Gates (1/rest): Enemy summons have chance to become your control. Dismisses and replaces your own summon if you have one.

Hell Freezes Over (modal): Fire spells now deal 50%, 50% cold damage.

Yes Man (passive): Mind control effects will always succeed against you, but you become immune to fear and confusion.

Bear the Brunt (1/rest): Your animal companion morphs into a gigantic bear for the fight.

Behind the Times (passive): Action cooldown is increase by 50%, but your attacks and spells become uninterruptible.

Sound of Silence (passive): Immune to Silence

Three-volley Salute (1/encounter): Fire 3 shots in rapid succession, without needing to reload

Cloak and Daggers (passive): When equipped with a cloak and a dagger or stiletto, every successful attack you make grants you +1 Deflection. Lasts until rest.

Misanthropist (passive): Gain +4 damage and accuracy vs humans.

Bigot (passive): Gain +4 damage and accuracy vs non-human NPCs.

Knuckle Sandwich (passive): Your base unarmed damage and unarmed attack speed progression is the same as a monk's.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 2

Some of the ideas here make me wish there was something like crowd-development. Just take the most popular ideas in a community and let the professionals bother about how to implement them into a working system.

From what Sawyer has said in the past, this is more or less what they're trying to do with the Talents system.