Talents what would be wanted, and what is needed.

Ganrich

I think a lot of the ideas presented go against the design philosophy. For once, it was clearly stated that combat and non-combat ressources will be strictly separated, so talents influencing non-combat stuff are pretty much out of question, although there are good concepts.

Personally, I liked chorus and empathy much, although I think that empathy should be part of a monks class abilities anyway. I'd like to see a talent that transfers the monks unarmed bonuses to some kind of bonus for arms, such that a concept like a kensai/weaponmaster is feasible. For example:

Monk: Channeled Suffering  - Accuracy rises proportional to the bonus damage of 'Transcended Suffering' while having a weapon equipped.

• Like 1

Just for fun.

TALENTS

Rogue

Feign death

1/Encounter

You break engagements without generating attacks, become prone and as long as you don't do any other action, enemies cannot engage/target you (still prey to AoEs).

Fighter

Last stand

1/Rest, Combat Only

When under X% of Stamina or Health, reset all the other abilities' cooldowns.

Fighter/Monk

Stand against the waves

Perception, Resolve

As long as you are not prone, blind *insert here proper status*, and are unarmed or using melee weapons, you cannot be flanked.

Monk

Strike with no thought

Perception, Resolve

When you are being engaged by an enemy and as long as you are not prone, blind *insert here proper status*, and are unarmed or using melee weapons, make an attack on it (works like the attack on disangagement).

Fighter/Rogue

Bend like a reed

Dexterity, Perception

As long as you are not prone, blind *insert here proper status*, you gain a defense bonus against melee attacks.

Ranger/Fighter

Way of the Wasp

When using a bow of any kind, gain a bonus to accuracy, damage and speed.

Rogue/Ranger

Keen senses

Perception

You can detect traps/secrets without Stealth.

Fighter/Rogue

Two weapon style

Dexterity

When using two weapons, gain a bonus to damage and defense.

Fighter

Blade dancer

Dexterity, Resolve, Two weapon style

When using two blades (*insert list here*) and unarmored or using light armor, you gain a bonus to damage, speed and defense.

ABILITIES

Cipher

Shared bond

Intellect, Resolve

All the other party members, no matter position, have their Will defense reduced by X% and are considered to have the ability Psychic Backlash.

Druid

Unbound rage

Spiritshift

When using Spiritshift, you lose control of the character for the remainder of the combat. It gains bonus to damage, all of its defenses and some stamina regeneration but will only autoattack on nearby enemies.

Druid

Primal fear

Resolve, Spirishift

When activating Spiritshift, all enemies in radius X are frightened.

• Like 6

@Wintersong: Great suggestions. Though I think some of these (blade dancer, keen senses, way of the wast etc) should not be class-restricted. I dream of building a naked, two-sword fighting Cipher of death and these talents would go a long way to helping me realize my dream :)

@Wintersong: Great suggestions. Though I think some of these (blade dancer, keen senses, way of the wast etc) should not be class-restricted. I dream of building a naked, two-sword fighting Cipher of death and these talents would go a long way to helping me realize my dream :)

Talents, from what I read in the gamepedia, are class neutral. I just put a class or classes for which would make more sense. But being talents, anyone can pick them.

Talents, from what I read in the gamepedia, are class neutral. I just put a class or classes for which would make more sense. But being talents, anyone can pick them.
There is a mix; some are class-neutral while some (like Grimoire Slam) are class-specific. Edited by Lasweetlife

I think in general Talents that come with a trade-off is fun, and can help to focus a character in a certain direction.

Chanter

- A talent that greatly increases the bonuses/maluses of the Chants, but doubles the required amount of chants before casting an invocation.

- Several necromancer talents, that increases the Power and Duration of summons.

- A talent that increases the beneficial effects for allies.

- A talent that increases the detrimental effects on enemies.

- An talent that adds the ability to instead of chanting the Chanter make use a silent no effect-chant. If the chanter (only) used these then the following invocation would be a lot more powerful (maybe only damage increase). Maybe this would also require the chanter to stand still and be unable to do anything else. So the Chanter would be a sort of nuclear bomb building up silent chants and then booom!

- Talents that increases the fighting capabilities of Chanters, focusing more on the low-maintenance aspect of the class. Just singing and fighting :)

Wizard

Enchanter - the wizard increases the duration of effects, but decreases the dmg of spells.

Spellsword - THe wizard increases his accuracy with melee weapons

High Lvl talent - The wizard has tatoo'd the magic symbols on his own body (or just memorized them). The wizard doesn't need the grimoire anymore, but can cast a limited amount of spells. All the spells are now pr. encounter. (makes the wizard play more as a sorcerer)

- A talent that increases the appropriate dmg of the character for a short time after taking dmg of that type.
- a Talent that gives the wizard the ability to always have one buff of a certain lvl (or maybe just selected between certain buffs) active on himself. He is then unable to cast that buff on anyone.

Priest

Zealot - a talent that increases the bonus of following the way of their belief.

- A talent that increases the priests damage against mechanical/undead creatures.

- A talent that makes the priest able to control mechanical/undead creatures. Not possible with the abovementioned talent.

Martyr - A talent that makes other partymembers regain stamina when the character loses stamina

Leech - A talent that makes the character gain stamina, when enemies/allies loses it
Syphon soul - The Priest is able to make a character lose all stamina, to restore health to another character.

Monk

Martyr - A talent that makes other partymembers regain stamina when the character loses stamina

Leech - A talent that makes the character gain stamina, when enemies/allies loses it

Cipher

- A talent that doubles/increases the cipher focus build, but the cipher is not able to use abilities on enemies, that isn't being attacked by the Cipher. (modal perhaps?)
- A talent that increases the cipher defences, the more focus the cipher has build up.
- Talent that increases/removes the maximum for build up focus.

Druid

- A talent that increases the appropriate dmg of the character for a short time after taking dmg of that type.

- The druid completely becomes their spirit animal. They are now able to cast spells in spiritform, but are always in that form. (would maybe be a problem with dialog, requiring reactivity, maybe the change would only happen at night, and then they would be unable to talk to characters, when in spiritform)

- A talent where the druid loses the ability to shapeshift, and instead increases the power/dmg of the Druid's spells.

- If the Druid would lose all stamina while in spiritform, the spirit of the Druid would continue to fight. In essence summoning a spirit wolf/bear/lion... .
- a talent that allows the druid to take control of on animal. That will follow and protect the druid untill it is dead.

Paladin

Zealot - a talent that increases the bonus of following the way of their belief.

Leech - A talent that makes the character gain stamina, when partymembers/allies loses it

Rogue

Skilled - increases the amount of skill points gained
- Whenever you crit an enemy, allies attacking this enemy attack instantly (their recovery time is set to 0). 
- If the rogue is the only character attacking an enemy, she receives a quicker recovery time and/or higher deflection.

Edited by Polanski
  • Like 1

I actually really hope there's something like this in the final build... There's a talent in the Beta to reduce the negative effect of not following the Creed of your chosen Faith/Conviction on Priests and Paladins. I would rather like one that increases the effect.

• Like 3

Barbarian

Brutality: Increases AoE damagae dealt by Carnage

Unrelenting Fury:Increases Duration of Frenzy

Chanter

Lingering Voice: Effects of Chant phrases last longer

Cipher

Punishing Lash: Enemies hit by Soul Whip take X damage for X seconds

Expanded Focus: Focus Pool is increased

Druid

Wanderer of the Wilds: Can select an additional Wildstrike

Fighter

Offensive Defender: Reduced speed penalty and increased damage when in Defender

Overwatch: While using a ranged weapon in Defender, gains disengagement attacks against all enemies in range

Monk

Agonising Focus: Gains bonuses to Will and Ref as Wounds accumulate

Scarred Flesh: Gains a DT bonus

Paladin

Glorious Beacon: Increases AoE of auras

Fanatical Zeal: Can have two Auras active at once

Priest

Aegis of Faith: Grants defence bonuses to the Priest

Ranger

Independent: Damage taken by Ranger or Companion when the other is hit is reduced

Aspect of the Beast: Ranger gains a bonus based on Animal Companion

Rogue

Opportunist: Gains damage bonus against engaged targets

Wizard

Scholar of the Obscure: Gains 1 spell known for each spell level

Arcane Potency: Spells are harder to resist

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I actually really hope there's something like this in the final build... There's a talent in the Beta to reduce the negative effect of not following the Creed of your chosen Faith/Conviction on Priests and Paladins. I would rather like one that increases the effect.

I think this would be even more interesting if it also had the effect of increasing the penalty for going against your cause/deity/order.

• Like 1

I think adding even more active abilities to the game, especially ones that require a lot of precision to activate and follow through, would make RtWP combat even more chaotic and a mess. Even AOOs for now seem like an unnecessary feature, since there is a good interrupt mechanic that allows punishing various actions in combat.

I'd present players with more archetypes to choose from instead. Talents like turning all positive Paladin's abilities into damaging ones (negative auras, all that). Or something that would make all Priest buffs to target only Priest himself but with more power, to let you play combat-priest instead of a healing bot. Changing Ranger's companion into some sort of spirit instead buffing Ranger and party so you won't be forced into bow&arrow Ranger.

For now I just don't like how they pigeonholed every class into one role, except those that have naturally flexible mechanics (Wizard).

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 2

I think this would be even more interesting if it also had the effect of increasing the penalty for going against your cause/deity/order.

That was very much the idea. But that would almost never be relevant, as only the ones who actually roleplay the character to follow the path, would take this trait anyway. It would only serve to punish those that take the talent by mistake/misunderstanding.

What's this? A "Backer Beta Discussion" thread that has remained constructive and respectful for two whole pages? That's just... unnatural! Quick, someone make an opinionated comment on combat XP, attribute systems, or the extent to which this game should be like BG2!

:fdevil:

Joking aside, I do particularly like the idea of metamagic talents like:

Wizard/Priest/Druid

Shaped discharge: You can cast circle area spells with the cone shape

...but I fear it's probably too late (at this stage in development) to consider talents that may require additional UI features.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

That was very much the idea. But that would almost never be relevant, as only the ones who actually roleplay the character to follow the path, would take this trait anyway. It would only serve to punish those that take the talent by mistake/misunderstanding.

I like the idea of role-playing a priest (or any character), who is reconsidering/struggling with his beliefs. Especially in my first playthough when the game's lore and world is still new to me.

• Like 1

Barren? Jeez, the signal to noise ration ITT is incredible. It also has some of the best and most constructive suggestions on the beta that have been posted here too. Except now we're adding noise.

Mods, pin this maybe? Or find some other way to make sure the devs see it?

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Some general use talents

Armor Expertise: Speed penalty reduced in armor

Hardy: Reduced effects from poison and disease

Devastating Critical: Increased effect from critical hits

Lucky: Convert X% of criticqls into hits, hits into grazes, graze into miss

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I find it ironic that the topics that are mainly ****posting and circular arguments have dozens of pages while this one that requires critical thought and may actually contribute positively to the game is relatively barren.

I figure if someone criticized BG2 for not having Talents/Perks/Feats, we would be in for a slap fight.

More on topic now,

Skilled: +6 skill points to spend

Jack of All Trades: +1 to all skills

Skill focus: +2 to <skill>

Now some high level ones:

Fighter -- Phalanx: When standing next to another character equipped with a shield, you both share half your shield's deflection with each other. For example, if your shield is 20 def, Bob's is 10 def, James' is 5 def, taking the feat would give you 20 (base) + 1/2*10 (from Bob) +1/2*5 (from James) = 27.5 def. Bob would have 10 (base) + 1/2*20 (from you) = 20 DT, and James would get 5 (base) + 1/2*20 (from you) = 15 def. Stacks with other phalanxes.

Rogue -- Merciless Flanker: Whenever you flank, everyone's flanking bonus is doubled. Stacks with other merciless flankers. For example, if you have 4 character flanking, including 2 Merciless Flankers, everyone's flanking bonus is tripled.

Wizard -- Delementalist (modal): Mode 1 [sustained Delementalist]: Damaging with an elemental type decreases the defenses against that element by 25%, but raises defenses against all others by 15%. Stacks with itself. Mode 2 [Versatile Delementalist]: Damaging with an elemental type raises the against that element by 25%, but decreases defenses against all others by 15%. Stacks with itself.

Chanter -- Choir of One: You can sustain three voices in parallel, but the third one is restricted to level 1 chants.

Paladin -- Flames of True Belief: Flames of Devotion now target all enemies in a medium-ish area. Main target takes double damage.

Barbarian -- Brutal Carnage: Carnage damage is doubled, and always targets the lowest defense of deflection or fortitude.

Cipher -- Shared Horrors: The results of your psychic attack are so disturbing that every successful use of a targeted ability reduces the will defence of the target and every surrounding enemies by 5.

Ranger -- Bond of Flesh and Soul: Rangers and their animal companions now both use the highest of either's defenses.

Monk -- Chiropractor: After a fight, monks can voluntary cripple or main themselves in order to regenerate half their current damage.

Druid -- Can you smite me now? (Modal): Gain immunity to 1 elements, but 33% weakness towards all others.

Priest -- Bane of the Faithless: Every area spell give half the opposite corresponding benefits to allies, and half the opposite corresponding penalties enemies both sides defenses and attacks. E.g. Armor of Faith increases the DT of allies as usual, but now also decreases the DT of enemies by half the increase given to allies.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 5