[Request][Suggestion] Ways to massively improve movement and orientation mechanics + wanted shift-queuing features.

ch4os1337

I'm suggesting the developers implement a 'deadzone' where the formation orientation wheel doesn't show up until you've held right click and moved it outside this threshold.

As-well as a slight delay when clicking so it doesn't accidentally show up unintended.

Currently there's almost no delay (if any) and it makes it an uncomfortable experience when clicking just to move. 

In practice these mechanics pretty much work the same as what everyone's used to in IE games but a much better look and feel. 

Please see this video for a working example and description of how I think it should be in Pillars of Eternity.
(ignore that it's an RTS, it's the mechanics that are important)

Bonus: The 'cancel' command should double as a 'hold position' command (or a new hotkey altogether in the controls menu) so you can tell your guys to stand still even with enemies nearby, keeping formation with a tap of the button.

I assume the ability to queue movement is coming? Ideally we should be able to shift-queue movement *and* orientation along with actions/abilities (Cancel command too). It's imperative to your tactics when playing the game real-time.

Scenario 1: Telling a Wizard in an open area to move wide on an enemies flank and cast a ranged spell while assaulting the front with your fighters.

Scenario 2: Casting an ability, and retreating to cast another ability automatically.

Scenario 3: Making enemies chase summons around while you shoot them from range.

This is possible in Baldur's Gate so i'd hope we'll be able to do it in PoE.

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by ch4os1337

No command queue, please. It would totally change the feel of the combat.

Why don't you want it *besides just being a different feel? You wouldn't have to use it if you didn't want, but I figure it's been in all the IE games before why not this true spiritual sequel? It's even more important in PoE because this is exclusively single-player and you can't micro 5 guys at the same time like you could in BG/IWD.

Edited by ch4os1337
  • Like 1

Ah, I see. Those are good points actually, I could take it or leave it now I guess, but I think we agree about still being able to do 'movement waypoints' at the very least.