Another comment on the exp system

Lol, good lord. I admit I was surprised by no XP for defeating monster, and I would like for it to be implemented, but now I really just want them change it to see Gromnirs reaction. I'm guessing it would be one of two things:

A: He goes on rants about how they ruined the game because of everyone's incessant whining.

or

B: He disappears.

Probably the former. ;)

No. You forgot the most likely scenario: C) Gromnir will pretend that Combat XP was what he has been arguing for since 2002. He will double down and begin forming 10,000 new arguments about how logical, comprehensive, and *right* Combat XP is, and after he's done he will dismiss all other arguments as pointless wastes of time because the developers hve already made their unchangeable decisions.

And then, as soon as someone calls him out on his history revision, he will spew forth a stream of knee-jerk insults, calling his accuser "Dense", "Slow", "Obtuse" etc.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

"first, that is the most narcissistic nonsense we has ever heard. the recent polls regarding kill xp actual has less responses than the older versions, and even then there were more contentious and popular subjects being debated on these boards. you care about kill xp, so is important to you, so you see as "more speaking" about the subject. "

That completely ignores 1) the fact that there's FAR more threads on the XP issue than any other issue on the POE forums 2) the fact that the vast majority of these XP threads have reached the 500 post count limit, 3) The fact that you've yet to show us another issue which has generated 7 full threads since the Beta's release.. Edited by Stun

3) The fact that you've yet to show us another issue which has generated 7 full threads since the Beta's release..

you got a serious problem with your number 3s. 'least this one ain't fraudulently edited.

why "since the Beta's release"? is pretty darn arbitrary for a game that has been in development for two years. what % of backers are actual part o' the beta anyway? is a genuine question as we don't know the percentages.

heck, b00b armour threads have gotten more responses over the years, and as we noted, the pre-beta kill xp poll had 2x as many respondents as the most recent versions. but honestly, post totals? have same dozen poster repeating themselves into insensibility is hardly compelling evidence that the issue is popular. *chuckle* as Gromnir noted in the most recent poll thread, we didn't even vote.  the issue is, for many backers. dead. were dead and decided a Long time ago. nevertheless, the pre-beta poll actual had more respondents... post count is a silly measure... well, more silly. even the polls themselves that only reveal a few hundred responses outta the 74k backers is still kinda sad. 

*shrug*

you are hopeless. if we can't explain "and" to you, we sure as hell ain't gonna figure out your recurring problem with #3.  advice: don't number anything... or just make your #3 a joke in the future. thank goodness PoE ain't more o' a ps:t "spiritual successor" or you would be really screwed with all the rule-of-three content.

we don't use board ignore function on anybody, not even vol, but this were our third time giving you a chance after we said, "no more." perhaps the rule-of-three has merit. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

why "since the Beta's release"?

Because the majority of these recent threads about XP have been the result of Beta Feedback. But we don't have to limit ourselves to the last 3 weeks. We can certainly go all the way back to the beginning of the kickstarter (2012). That won't help you though, since the only other topic that even comes close to matching thread numbers and sizes would be Romances.

heck, b00b armour threads have gotten more responses over the years

Prove it.

and as we noted, the pre-beta kill xp poll had 2x as many respondents as the most recent versions.

Which one? There are several.

post totals?

Yes. Unless your mind believes it'd be more accurate to measure subject popularity by counting thread views? 

you are hopeless.

Hi! My name is Gromnir and I have a choice. Admit I'm wrong, or protect my ego and fire back insults. GaH! I must do the latter! Edited by Stun

Labadal: That's not entirely true. I know plenty of backers, many of whom had followed the updates eagerly, who didn't pick that up. No xp per body count and objective xp were still interpreted as encounter/combat xp, skill xp, crafting xp, etc, being in. There are loads of loads of honestly surprised people over this, and we will see more each and every day.

I'm a bit late in responding. But it has been known for ages. if people that follow updates didn't understand how the system would work, that is on them, not on Obsidian. I feel that Obsidian were very clear with how the exp system would work. (This post has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with the system.)

You need to just give this up Gromnir, Stun has set in his mind what he thought you meant even though your posts obviously say differently.

On topic, I actually missed the whole experience thing for a while and just found out a couple months ago, and I thought I was following updates pretty well. I didn't mind it however, and actually liked the idea. Also, the only thing I expected from this game was that it was an isometric, party-based crpg with fun, tactical combat and characters and a narrative of a quality I have come to expect from Obsidian. So, the only thing Obsidian can do to disappoint me is to have boring combat or bad writing. The latter of which I'm not really concerned about.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a backer from way back.  Therefore, I will get this game regardless.  With the current no exp for kills system, I expect to play this game for about 10 minutes.  Then I will move on to a more rewarding/fun game.  I wish this game had lived up to its promise.  Maybe the devs will one day make a game the gamers want to play.

I wish this game had lived up to its promise.

It hasn't been released yet.

Also, Sawyer recently posted saying that there will be limited kill xp. Basically when you kill non-kith (humanoids) you will get experience and it will update your creaturepedia knowledge of the enemy, up to a point. Presumably after killing X amount of Y beasties there isn't much more to learn (gain xp).

Which is precisely what I was hoping for :)

The gloom and doom around here is truly astonishing. I'm all for a reasoned debate over the merits of combat XP as a reward mechanic (though I think it's beating the powdered remains of a dead horse's skeleton at this point)... But all these people saying the game will absolutely suck if it doesn't have combat XP... "I'll probably play it for about 10 minutes if it doesn't have combat XP"... Really? REALLY? C'mon now.

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 4

I wish this game had lived up to its promise.

It hasn't been released yet.

Also, Sawyer recently posted saying that there will be limited kill xp. Basically when you kill non-kith (humanoids) you will get experience and it will update your creaturepedia knowledge of the enemy, up to a point. Presumably after killing X amount of Y beasties there isn't much more to learn (gain xp).

Which is precisely what I was hoping for :)

It would be nice if the devs kept the unwashed masses (myself included) who rarely venture here up to date on plans for this and the various other issues that are being discussed.  I'm always hearing "Sawyer this..." and "Sawyer that..." but these are rarely things I see myself. Is there a special thread for the initiated where these nuggets of wisdom are handed out?

He posts a lot of things on the something awful forums. If you search "something awful pillars of eternity" you'll find the thread. Then find a post by "rope kid" (josh) and click on (I think) the question mark in the lower left of the post. That'll get you all us posts in that thread.

Other place he posts info is his Tumblr. Search "Josh Sawyer Tumblr".