For the crowd unhappy about "no hard counters/no death effects"...

...I present, spiders.

There's a special kind of spider that inflicts the Petrify status effect. Petrified characters take damage directly from Health, rather than Stamina. If it so happened that he was just bit by another spider which Poisoned him... wowza. Terrifying.

There are spell counters to defend against this, as well as tactics of course.

I thought this was bugged but it's actually intentional. The problem in the beta right now is the usual, lack of feedback -- the only way to tell your character's been Petrified is if you see it zip by in the combat log.

This is IMO the functional equivalent of 'zap you're dead' with the tiiiiny concession that if you catch it just in time and hit pause, there might be something you can do. There is a spell there somewhere that's kind of a Sanctuary equivalent, and others which temporarily suppress negative status effects. 

But it's still terrifying. I don't think y'all will miss death effects and hard counters when this shapes up.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

cooooooooool   :brows:   :dancing:

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Spiders are badass but I believe their poison effect is bugged. Something about stacking poison tokens.

But the Petrify mechanic isn't. If you're already poisoned and losing, say, 4 Stamina / 1 Health per second, it'll convert it to 4 Health / second. That's the functional equivalent of 16 Stamina / second. That's scary.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Lord Soth arose from the ashes, his ancient armour creaking and wailing in complaint. Shadows played about his shoulders, forming a cloak of midnight dread that flared and writhed trembling the hardest heart. His burning molten eyes turned to the young Mage who had challenged him, and silence thick and stygian fell upon the battlefield, with the opressive weight of a terrible will brought to bare. The white robed youngster fell back, arcane syllables dying on his lips and decades of training forgotten.

The Death Knight raised his gauntleted fist, extended his finger to point at the irritant and pronounced:

"HURT A BIT, MMMKAY."

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah junta that's fine, but those spiders apply it with a 100% chance right now it seems like and basically instant kill you with the hit.  Because they will then turn around and hit you once for some insane amount like 67 damage x4 = one shot kill.  I have screenshots of combat logs where they did the hit, the effect, and the 4x damage all on one attack and it took a full health character straight to dead off one hit.

I kid you not.

If they call that working as intended they have a serious problem.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

And that's why you're providing feedback on the Beta. Gracias!

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

But the Petrify mechanic isn't. If you're already poisoned and losing, say, 4 Stamina / 1 Health per second, it'll convert it to 4 Health / second. That's the functional equivalent of 16 Stamina / second. That's scary.

My only question there is... is the straight-health damage supposed to translate back into Stamina damage, on top of that? I mean, I get that "when you take damage," the ratio is 1/4. But, it seems that, with the exception of this petrification, the only damage you take is understood to basically be Stamina damage, which "passes on" 1/4th of the damage to Health (I know, functionally, they just both receive damage at the same time...). Or, to look at it another way, if it's supposed to turn 1 Stamina damage into 4 Health damage and 16 Stamina damage, then Petrify is basically just a 4X damage multiplier. Which, is deadly and all... but, weird? It might just be a subjective feeling, but it seems like something that just made all damage go straight to your Health instead of Stamina would be a much more interesting mechanic than just "you still take damage in the exact same fashion, but it's multiplied by 4."

I mean, if you're petrified, and you run out of Stamina, does your character fall over? o_O

And it's not as if there's some kind of issue with not taking any Stamina damage during that time. I mean, if you get down to 10 Health, and you somehow come out of Petrification (I don't know if it's possible to recover from it, but, for example's sake, say you do) with full Stamina, it's not like you got some huge advantage from the lack of Stamina loss there.

*Shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

My only question there is... is the straight-health damage supposed to translate back into Stamina damage, on top of that?

No.  When petrified you take 0 stamina damage.  The problem is you take all damage straight to health, they get a 4x damage multiplier on you, and it looks like the mobs do the same damage as if they were hitting your stamina.  So instead of it just being 20 damage / 4 x 4 = 20 health damage.... it is 20 x 4 = you just took 80 straight health damage.

Yeah junta that's fine, but those spiders apply it with a 100% chance right now it seems like and basically instant kill you with the hit.  Because they will then turn around and hit you once for some insane amount like 67 damage x4 = one shot kill.  I have screenshots of combat logs where they did the hit, the effect, and the 4x damage all on one attack and it took a full health character straight to dead off one hit.

I kid you not.

Hum, I disagree. I like extremely deadly enemies, things you have to take out really fast before they get to you, or find ways of defending specifically against their attacks. If they had additionally given them insane DT and/or crazy HP and immunities to many or most of your serious debuffs, then yeah, but it's not like we're lacking in ways to deal with them.

If there's nothing there that can really, seriously kick you in the nuts then combat just becomes slow and grindy and always the same.

• Like 2

I kid you not.

Hum, I disagree. I like extremely deadly enemies, things you have to take out really fast before they get to you, or find ways of defending specifically against their attacks. If they had additionally given them insane DT and/or crazy HP and immunities to many or most of your serious debuffs, then yeah, but it's not like we're lacking in ways to deal with them.

If there's nothing there that can really, seriously kick you in the nuts then combat just becomes slow and grindy and always the same.

Eh, it's fine if they exist, but you should generally be made aware of their presence and they shouldn't be commonplace beasts.

If your only way of detecting them is saving before any new enemy to figure out what he does, somethings wrong.