Companion AI?

Hygaard

Are we going to be getting a companion AI of some sort in the game? Managing 5 characters with all these abilities is an awful lot of work, I would really like to have at least some basic rules like attack anything that attacks you, cast a heal on any party member below 50% stamina, etc.

I just played through BG and BG2 enhanced editions (for the first time :D), and the transition to needing to micro manage the party was rather unpleasant. PoE feels like I've got a whole party of wizards to look after, I'm spending ten times longer paused than unpaused in combat right now.

Maybe this has already been covered and I missed it, but I just had to ask.

Great work so far, I can't wait for the game to ship!

• Like 1

Are we going to be getting a companion AI of some sort in the game? Managing 5 characters with all these abilities is an awful lot of work, I would really like to have at least some basic rules like attack anything that attacks you, cast a heal on any party member below 50% stamina, etc.

I just played through BG and BG2 enhanced editions (for the first time :D), and the transition to needing to micro manage the party was rather unpleasant. PoE feels like I've got a whole party of wizards to look after, I'm spending ten times longer paused than unpaused in combat right now.

Maybe this has already been covered and I missed it, but I just had to ask.

Great work so far, I can't wait for the game to ship!

I agree. To make gameplay fun I feel like the devs need to remove the fighter/ranger/rogue abilities OR add really good party AI (with customization). I'd prefer to simplify the classes though.

• Like 1

I agree. To make gameplay fun I feel like the devs need to remove the fighter/ranger/rogue abilities OR add really good party AI (with customization). I'd prefer to simplify the classes though.

I personaly like that fighters, rogues etc. do not feel like a summon, well no even most summons offered more choices than those classes in BG. I always hated the fighter in BG because it was a autoattack bot.

Edit: The BB fighter has two active abilites in the beta.

Edited by Mayama

I personaly like that fighters, rogues etc. do not feel like a summon, well no even most summons offered more choices than those classes in BG. I always hated the fighter in BG because it was a autoattack bot.

What is wrong with the fighter feeling auto-attackish? 

What is wrong with the fighter feeling auto-attackish? 

Maybee that I think its super boring?

• Like 1

IMO it's good that there are genuinely low-maintenance classes in the game. More potential variety. It would be quite different to play a party with, say, three fighters and three wizards or priests. It becomes more a game of positioning -- place the fighters to control the battlefield and leave them there, then use your casters to destroy the enemy (and keep the fighters standing).

The fighters themselves might be boring, but having them could lead to interesting tactical twists.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I dont know if i want full AI, but something like DA:O commands would be nice. Also i dont see why we should remove abilites from fighter/rogue/barb, since they are allready to simple/easy i rather see them get some more abilites to diffrentiate them from one and another.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Plato