Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The case against Interrupt.

Interrupt Combat Perception PER Concentration Resolve RES

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The interrupt thing seems cool to me because you can make a dude that isn't all about damage. It also gives speedy weapons added value even against dudes with high DT. I can see a ranger with a speedy short bow being very valuable - so much so, that I might opt for that instead of a might heavy ranger with a gun. This opens up more viable builds and thats a good thing.

our ranger appears to achieve most o' his damage via his animal companion. as such, we has decided that our ranger will be interrupt focused. animal does damage, while our ranger sits back with a fast ranged weapon and concentrates on interrupt. that being said, we would like to have some kinda reliable feedback that shows whether or not interrupts is efficacious.

http://forums.obsidi...hate/?p=1490371

and seriously, we would like a way to see which foes is suffering debuffs. this is particular important for rangers using marked prey. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Fluffle likes this

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The interrupt thing seems cool to me because you can make a dude that isn't all about damage. It also gives speedy weapons added value even against dudes with high DT. I can see a ranger with a speedy short bow being very valuable - so much so, that I might opt for that instead of a might heavy ranger with a gun. This opens up more viable builds and thats a good thing.

our ranger appears to achieve most o' his damage via his animal companion. as such, we has decided that our ranger will be interrupt focused. animal does damage, while our ranger sits back with a fast ranged weapon and concentrates on interrupt. that being said, we would like to have some kinda reliable feedback that shows whether or not interrupts is efficacious.

http://forums.obsidi...hate/?p=1490371

and seriously, we would like a way to see which foes is suffering debuffs. this is particular important for rangers using marked prey. 

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir, did you see any effect?

Does your ranger efficiently work as an interrupter?

I actually plan to play my ranger the same way as you, but I somehow fail to see any difference when I try to interrupt.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

we get impression we is interrupting, but there is no feedback in combat log and there is no graphic indicator that accompanies a successful interrupt, so we have no freaking idea if we is wasting effort or kicking proverbial butt. is a bit frustrating.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the bear companion does an inordinate amount o' damage

• IndiraLightfoot and Fluffle like this

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

we get impression we is interrupting, but there is no feedback in combat log and there is no graphic indicator that accompanies a successful interrupt, so we have no freaking idea if we is wasting effort or kicking proverbial butt. is a bit frustrating.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, that's my problem, too. No feedback :/

PS I'm using Mr Wolf :)

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, that's my problem, too. No feedback :/

PS I'm using Mr Wolf :)

have used stag, boar, wolf and bear. perhaps bear is bugged, but State o' Maine is having a typical accuracy o' 77 and is frequent doing ridiculous damage... frequent hits for over 75 damage.

HA! Good Fun!

• Fluffle likes this

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I want to know how Obsi will do bosses with interrupt system. For now it is possible to hit single enemy so fast his every action would get interrupted forever.

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I want to know how Obsi will do bosses with interrupt system.

Kanye West confirmed for boss character. His interrupt and concentration will be maximum, severely restricting the options for anyone that isn't fast-moving.

• PrimeJunta likes this

Seari

Seari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts

I've posted multiple times that I dislike the interrupt mechanic affecting melee attacks, you should only be able to interrupt abilities/spells(maybe ranged attacks as well?). Interrupting melee attacks is confusing and unnecessary. Wouldn't mind it being removed completely, as long as there's some way to interrupt spellcasters.

Edited by Seari, 26 August 2014 - 02:31 AM.

• Giubba, Shadenuat and Matt516 like this

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1 vote in favor of interrupt

• Fluffle likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
In the IE games, interrupts played when a character received damage. Sometimes they didn't play (not sure why).

Poison and the Druid Spell Summon Insects were the best way to cause interrupts because they had frequent ticks for 1 damage that all caused interrupts.
  • PrimeJunta likes this

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In the IE games, interrupts played when a character received damage. Sometimes they didn't play (not sure why).

Poison and the Druid Spell Summon Insects were the best way to cause interrupts because they had frequent ticks for 1 damage that all caused interrupts.

I could be completely wrong, but the impression I had was that higher damage done meant a higher chance for the interrupt to occur.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't think so, at least not in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I think even 0 damage hits caused interrupts.

Edited by Sensuki, 26 August 2014 - 04:29 AM.

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did they?  I would've sworn my mages never got interrupted so long as I kept Stoneskin up.  And that I went for the Flail of Ages partially to get past Stoneskin and have a chance at interrupting, for that matter.

Obviously it's not that important, but I might fire it up later and play around for curiosity's sake.

Billy O

Billy O

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A quick question for clarification. If you are casting a spell and are interrupted is it simply delayed or cancelled?

GrinningReaper659

GrinningReaper659

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm fairly certain that in BG games summon insects caused 50% spell failure chance on one target and insect plague (lvl 5 version) caused 100% spell failure on multiple targets, while they both caused one point of damage every 2 seconds. So I think that their spell failure rate was built into the spell separately from an interrupt issue as they did damage at the same rate but had different spell failure percentages. Can't say for sure that I can recall the effectiveness of Summon Insects, but I know for sure that Insect Plague shut down any chance of casting a spell while in effect.

Just confirmed this in BG2:EE -- as per the spells' descriptions, they behave as I just described, not sure how the interrupt mechanic works exactly outside of these spells but it seems independent of the rate of damage in the case of these two druid spells.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did they?  I would've sworn my mages never got interrupted so long as I kept Stoneskin up.  And that I went for the Flail of Ages partially to get past Stoneskin and have a chance at interrupting, for that matter.

Obviously it's not that important, but I might fire it up later and play around for curiosity's sake.

Stoneskin stops attack as whole, so it don't cause any effects.

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer

A quick question for clarification. If you are casting a spell and are interrupted is it simply delayed or cancelled?

At the moment I believe it is cancelled and you have to order it again.

war:head

war:head

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Steam:-warhead-3Z-
  • Kickstarter Backer

IMO remove it from attributes or just make it a minor thing as a secondary effect of an attribute rather than the sole combat stat assigned to an attribute.

I agree because its such a hard stat to balance. It needs to be strong because its the only stat on that attribute. That leads to the problem that a very very high interrupt skill could let you cheese through the game permalocking enemies.

A good way around that problem would probably be a kind of "Interrupt Threshold" based on armor to discourage such Interrupter builds by simply making them ineffective vs. certain enemies. Another way would be to use Concentration but that might feel weird on certain enemy types.

GreyFox

GreyFox

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

IMO remove it from attributes or just make it a minor thing as a secondary effect of an attribute rather than the sole combat stat assigned to an attribute.

Agreed, not sure why they removed defense from stats and put it on something like this...tis very silly.

Leave interrupts for talent/skills used in combat rather than per hit...this isn't dark souls and we see nothing like a poise system in place.

Also makes no sense that armor isn't taken into account for determining interrupts but weapons have interrupt values?

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer

Agreed, not sure why they removed defense from stats and put it on something like this...tis very silly.

Leave interrupts for talent/skills used in combat rather than per hit...this isn't dark souls and we see nothing like a poise system in place.

Also makes no sense that armor isn't taken into account for determining interrupts but weapons have interrupt values?

Well that's not strictly true - RES is our Poise. But of course in the current build armor doesn't contribute to "Poise" (which is probably part of the problem). I'd be happy with interrupt resistance being tied to armor instead, tbh.
  • GreyFox likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Interrupt, Combat, Perception, PER, Concentration, Resolve, RES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users