The case against Interrupt.

Matt516

I want to know how Obsi will do bosses with interrupt system.

Kanye West confirmed for boss character. His interrupt and concentration will be maximum, severely restricting the options for anyone that isn't fast-moving.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I've posted multiple times that I dislike the interrupt mechanic affecting melee attacks, you should only be able to interrupt abilities/spells(maybe ranged attacks as well?). Interrupting melee attacks is confusing and unnecessary. Wouldn't mind it being removed completely, as long as there's some way to interrupt spellcasters.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 3

1 vote in favor of interrupt

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

In the IE games, interrupts played when a character received damage. Sometimes they didn't play (not sure why).

Poison and the Druid Spell Summon Insects were the best way to cause interrupts because they had frequent ticks for 1 damage that all caused interrupts.

• Like 1

In the IE games, interrupts played when a character received damage. Sometimes they didn't play (not sure why).

Poison and the Druid Spell Summon Insects were the best way to cause interrupts because they had frequent ticks for 1 damage that all caused interrupts.

I could be completely wrong, but the impression I had was that higher damage done meant a higher chance for the interrupt to occur.

Did they?  I would've sworn my mages never got interrupted so long as I kept Stoneskin up.  And that I went for the Flail of Ages partially to get past Stoneskin and have a chance at interrupting, for that matter.

Obviously it's not that important, but I might fire it up later and play around for curiosity's sake.

I'm fairly certain that in BG games summon insects caused 50% spell failure chance on one target and insect plague (lvl 5 version) caused 100% spell failure on multiple targets, while they both caused one point of damage every 2 seconds. So I think that their spell failure rate was built into the spell separately from an interrupt issue as they did damage at the same rate but had different spell failure percentages. Can't say for sure that I can recall the effectiveness of Summon Insects, but I know for sure that Insect Plague shut down any chance of casting a spell while in effect.

Just confirmed this in BG2:EE -- as per the spells' descriptions, they behave as I just described, not sure how the interrupt mechanic works exactly outside of these spells but it seems independent of the rate of damage in the case of these two druid spells.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Did they?  I would've sworn my mages never got interrupted so long as I kept Stoneskin up.  And that I went for the Flail of Ages partially to get past Stoneskin and have a chance at interrupting, for that matter.

Obviously it's not that important, but I might fire it up later and play around for curiosity's sake.

Stoneskin stops attack as whole, so it don't cause any effects.

IMO remove it from attributes or just make it a minor thing as a secondary effect of an attribute rather than the sole combat stat assigned to an attribute.

I agree because its such a hard stat to balance. It needs to be strong because its the only stat on that attribute. That leads to the problem that a very very high interrupt skill could let you cheese through the game permalocking enemies.

A good way around that problem would probably be a kind of "Interrupt Threshold" based on armor to discourage such Interrupter builds by simply making them ineffective vs. certain enemies. Another way would be to use Concentration but that might feel weird on certain enemy types.

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

IMO remove it from attributes or just make it a minor thing as a secondary effect of an attribute rather than the sole combat stat assigned to an attribute.

Agreed, not sure why they removed defense from stats and put it on something like this...tis very silly.

Leave interrupts for talent/skills used in combat rather than per hit...this isn't dark souls and we see nothing like a poise system in place.

Also makes no sense that armor isn't taken into account for determining interrupts but weapons have interrupt values?

Agreed, not sure why they removed defense from stats and put it on something like this...tis very silly.

Leave interrupts for talent/skills used in combat rather than per hit...this isn't dark souls and we see nothing like a poise system in place.

Also makes no sense that armor isn't taken into account for determining interrupts but weapons have interrupt values?

Well that's not strictly true - RES is our Poise. But of course in the current build armor doesn't contribute to "Poise" (which is probably part of the problem). I'd be happy with interrupt resistance being tied to armor instead, tbh.

• Like 1

Stoneskin stops attack as whole, so it don't cause any effects.

Elemental damage still leaked through stoneskin and could cause interrupts even if the main attack did no damage (due to stoneskin).

Well that's not strictly true - RES is our Poise. But of course in the current build armor doesn't contribute to "Poise" (which is probably part of the problem). I'd be happy with interrupt resistance being tied to armor instead, tbh.

Interrupt being from armor is the ONLY thing that makes sense here and there needs to be a stat to AVOID getting hit...maybe have a tiny bit of interrupt reduction from RES....a TINY bit.

EDIT: I personally don't' think it should be in the game at all but my idea is a worst case if it has to be in  the game type of scenario.

Edited by GreyFox