Lock picks seem kinda glicky

ctn2003

Question

14 answers to this question

Seems like they work when they want to. and some times you need them to open locked chests

Not sure if they're actually working as intended, but my understanding is they only kick in if you're close to the target value, but not quite there. I don't know the actual values, but for illustration purposes, let's assume your character has a Mechanic skill of 8 and you need a 10 to open the lock. Lockpicks give you a +2 boost (again, just pulling numbers out of my ass for this example). So if you try to open the lock and you have a lockpick in your inventory, it kicks in. If you only have a Mechanics skill of 7, they don't kick in (there's not even a check or a message about them).

• Like 1

Thats a little strange because it doset even tell you that lock picks are not required to unlock stuff

Well, I can assure you they aren't. My first two characters had no lockpicks and unlocked several doors/items with no issues.

• Like 1

Hello all,

So when it comes to lock picking the mechanics rank of the character is checked against the difficulty value of the task. If the character's skill rank is greater than or equal to the difficulty of the task, then the feat requires 0 lock picks. If the character's skill value is less than the difficulty requirement, then the difference between the two becomes the number of lock picks required to accomplish the task.

As for the lack of explanation, I will see if we can get a bug written to suggest that it is explained at some point in detail. 

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion, and please note, this may change as the game continues to polish.

Thank you all for your continued support!  :sorcerer:

• Like 2

I couldn't get my Rogue to unlock the door to the bridge in the Skaen temple. Her mechanics skill is seven, and she has a lockpick.

Is that a super-hard lock, or is it a bug, or am I ... just somehow clicking wrong?

[edit: I also couldn't get the grappling hook to work at the same point, which I understand is a known bug. Are the two connected?]

Edited by RedSocialKnight
  • Like 1

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

I couldn't get my Rogue to unlock the door to the bridge in the Skaen temple. Her mechanics skill is seven, and she has a lockpick.

Is that a super-hard lock, or is it a bug, or am I ... just somehow clicking wrong?

[edit: I also couldn't get the grappling hook to work at the same point, which I understand is a known bug. Are the two connected?]

Both of these issues are bugs. The door you are referring to should always be interactable and if there is ever a reason why you cannot pick a lock, some kind of feedback should be given to explain that.

There is a known issue where if you click on a locked door sometimes you or your party members will not interact with it. If you are experiencing this bug you should not be getting any kind of feedback in the combat log when clicking the door.

As for the grappling hook, I'm not sure if we've nailed this one down yet. Though there was a similar issue with the scripted interaction in Lle a Rhemen not recognizing the grappling hook. We are working to iron out this issue and I believe it's related to Save/Load.

Thank you for your feedback!  :grin:

Hello all,

So when it comes to lock picking the mechanics rank of the character is checked against the difficulty value of the task. If the character's skill rank is greater than or equal to the difficulty of the task, then the feat requires 0 lock picks. If the character's skill value is less than the difficulty requirement, then the difference between the two becomes the number of lock picks required to accomplish the task.

As for the lack of explanation, I will see if we can get a bug written to suggest that it is explained at some point in detail. 

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion, and please note, this may change as the game continues to polish.

Just a suggestion on this: If you're (for example) 6 points short and have 6 lockpicks, I assume you'll open the lock. My suggestion though is to make that a choice of whether or not you want to spend that many lockpicks. The player may not want to spend a whole lot of them in one shot, preferring perhaps to see if there's another way into the room or a key to open the chest.

• Like 1

So... anybody know how to get into the inner temple if lockpick isn't working? I just want to finish the quest.

Couple ways: WARNING SPOILERS for those that don't want to know.

1) You can go across the bridge using a grappling hook. At some point you'll find a key that will open a number of locks down there.

2) You can go to the tanner's and if you go into Stealth/Search mode, you can find a key that will unlock the door behind him (he'll go hostile though). Then you can go down the ladder and follow the pathway around until you find they key mentioned above and then continue on.

Thanks -- dang this inventory system, though!

I had the key, but my priest was carrying it, so I still couldn't get through the doors.

Ah yes, quest item. Give it to your main, and it will automatically go into the quest bag. Not sure if it has to be there to work, but I'm finding a few quirky things like that, so it's best to take anything that remotely looks like it could be a quest item and give it to your main. If it disappears, it's either an ingredient or a quest item and will have been automatically shifted to the appropriate container (assuming no glitches, of course). :)

Hello all,

Just a suggestion on this: If you're (for example) 6 points short and have 6 lockpicks, I assume you'll open the lock. My suggestion though is to make that a choice of whether or not you want to spend that many lockpicks. The player may not want to spend a whole lot of them in one shot, preferring perhaps to see if there's another way into the room or a key to open the chest.

There should be a confirmation if you need to spend lockpicks to open a door.  :)

• Like 1