Crowdfunding is now over!

Hi everyone,

On behalf of everyone here at Obsidian Entertainment, THANK YOU most graciously for all of your contributions to, and continued interest in, Pillars of Eternity. It means SO much to all of us here working on the project, and we appreciate it so humbly.

So where do we go from here? Well, Paradox Interactive will be taking things from this point on. They'll handle the retail release of the game and are helping to get everything produced and shipped out to those of you getting physical items.

We've closed down the Eternity site to most forms of crowdfunding now except under a few situations:

1) Existing backers can still buy digital addons, like the Backer Beta.

2) Backers who haven't confirmed their pledge orders yet can still do so, and have a last minute chance to upgrade, if desired. That will be closing soon too, and pledges not confirmed on the Eternity site will be locked to their originally selected rewards. More info on that soon.

3) Backers who e-mailed us by this 11 AM PDT this morning who wanted to modify their order. We'll help make all of those changes as requested.

This week, we'll take a look at all of the orders made on the Eternity site, and any backers who didn't want to use our site or haven't yet come and completed their orders, will tally everything up, and send final numbers over to Paradox and the suppliers so they know how much of what they need to produce. Fun times ahead!

Thank you all again, and have a great week!

Darren Monahan

Obsidian Entertainment

• Like 11

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!

Two questions:

First: Wanted to place an order today. Don´t have the money on my prepaid credit card right now, will fill it up. Will I still be free to buy it at Wednesday?

Second: Is the Beta distributed over your own infrastructure or via Steam? Cause I´m not interested in a Steam-Beta...

...I know that it´s right now Steam-only, but what about the near future? Shouldn´t be too hard to get GOG-distribtion of that beta and it would be a good time to bring a direct preordering option to GOG as well...

Edited by RadonGOG

Two questions:

First: Wanted to place an order today. Don´t have the money on my prepaid credit card right now, will fill it up. Will I still be free to buy it at Wednesday?

Second: Is the Beta distributed over your own infrastructure or via Steam? Cause I´m not interested in a Steam-Beta...

...I know that it´s right now Steam-only, but what about the near future? Shouldn´t be too hard to get GOG-distribtion of that beta and it would be a good time to bring a direct preordering option to GOG as well...

Hey, RadonGOG. Unfortunately our backer funding period has ended and we cannot accept additional backers. Keep on the lookout, though, because we will be opening up preorders soon.

Also, the beta will only be distributed over Steam. There are many reasons for this, but here are a couple of big ones:

• This makes sure that there aren't multiple versions of the beta floating around at the same time. All backers will be on the official build when we discuss issues and bugs they are seeing. This may not seem important, but it can save the development team lots of time when solving those bugs.
  • Steam makes distribution of patches very easy on our end. Essentially, we can copy a new build up to their servers and they will automatically generate patches for us. This means we can put out beta patches much more frequently on Steam.

Two questions:

Hey, RadonGOG. Unfortunately our backer funding period has ended and we cannot accept additional backers. Keep on the lookout, though, because we will be opening up preorders soon.

Also, the beta will only be distributed over Steam. There are many reasons for this, but here are a couple of big ones:

• This makes sure that there aren't multiple versions of the beta floating around at the same time. All backers will be on the official build when we discuss issues and bugs they are seeing. This may not seem important, but it can save the development team lots of time when solving those bugs.
  • Steam makes distribution of patches very easy on our end. Essentially, we can copy a new build up to their servers and they will automatically generate patches for us. This means we can put out beta patches much more frequently on Steam.

So although my order already got finalized (but not already payed) and it still got an order ID (SWDO65Q2VFW3Y) I won´t be able to pay the bill as I´m not allowed to?

It´s O.K., no real problem for me (I´ll be buying it on release then and just handing a coupon to the friend of mine that was supposed to get the second key...), but it still looks strange as the order isn´t terminated yet...

@Steam-Beta-Topic:

Well, if that´s how it´s going on, I wouldn´t participate at all...

...you should really talk to GOG-team whether they could include a "Kickstarter-Beta-Section" at the Launch of its Galaxy-Service!

Edited by RadonGOG

I too am curious about the final tally of all funds.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Hm, perhaps Obsidian will make those numbers public... me personally though? I wouldn't.

No responsibility to do so and no positive payoff, just more people complaining.

"You got X on top of the Kickstarter money? And now you want more for the expansion? You're just pocketing our money!"

• Like 1

People will probably complain if they withhold the numbers also. One constant in life is that "people will probably complain". So that hopefully won't form the basis for their decision.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Two questions:

So although my order already got finalized (but not already payed) and it still got an order ID (SWDO65Q2VFW3Y) I won´t be able to pay the bill as I´m not allowed to?

It´s O.K., no real problem for me (I´ll be buying it on release then and just handing a coupon to the friend of mine that was supposed to get the second key...), but it still looks strange as the order isn´t terminated yet...

If the order says 'open' or 'pending' or something like that, then I'd contact support - they might let you finalise it with payment then.  Worth a try anyway.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

If the order says 'open' or 'pending' or something like that, then I'd contact support - they might let you finalise it with payment then.  Worth a try anyway.

Definitivly right. I´ll try out & thanks to you for this (quite obvious...) suggestion! :)

Great news. I am just waiting for one final ticket to come back with an answer on the system wanting me to pay the full shipping costs again. I hope I get it back today cause I am kinda starting to get a bit worried of not making it in time anymore so I can finally finalize my upgrade and pledge.

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Hm, perhaps Obsidian will make those numbers public... me personally though? I wouldn't.

No responsibility to do so and no positive payoff, just more people complaining.

"You got X on top of the Kickstarter money? And now you want more for the expansion? You're just pocketing our money!"

Quite right. I'd probably wait a couple of years before publishing those numbers so that there is no negative spin which could impact game sales. Lord knows we've got enough grumbling gamers around... :p

What I'm more curious about are the plans for the expansion.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nice. Any chance you can share the final number with the backers? Would be nice to know how much was raised in total.

I guess I should take the lack of response as a no then. It seems a bit strange that the amount raised during the Kickstarter campaign would be shared, but the amount raised after would not. It's all crowd-funding at the end of the day -- fans sending in their hard earned cash so that Obsidian can afford to make a game. Not sure why this latter part of the crowd-funding process would need to be a secret.

As someone who backed this project at the very beginning, it would be great to know how much the backers raised in full.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Not sure why this latter part of the crowd-funding process would need to be a secret.

I believe an additional 30,000 people backed this game after the kickstarter ended (I can't remember where I saw that, google might help though), so like 1.5m to 2m dollars on top of the 4m from the Kickstarter.

The average team size was about 20 to 25 developers. So, yeah, I have no idea where that money went either.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Awesome that you have managed to fix all of this so quickly. I have been enjoying the available beta a lot and I am seriously looking forwards the final game.

One thing I am wondering though. I am in the 165$ digital tier backer and from what I have read from the original kickstarter page the only actual physical thing I would get would be a postcard... 

What I am wondering is how you are going to go about doing that without me being able to give up/set my address on the eternity.obsidian.net account? I might have given my address in one of the mails I sent you when a problem came up regarding the paypal account, but I do not remember it clearly at this time.

I just wanted to check whether there was any problem regarding that (since my "addresses" tab on the page is empty at the moment... and I don't seem to be able to change it. And I haven't been able to since I made this account).

This might be the wrong place to ask, and if so, then I will just remove this comment and move it to its proper thread. 

Thank you and have a nice day,

Elmithian

Edited by Elmithian

Finding truth is a turn,
that a tester should apply with a pun
and report when it crashes his fun

Therein there is no gain,
but to aid those in pain,
for the helpful need to be
those who the truth will see

-------

Testing is a concept of trust