BUG: Level up during combat causes black screen and freezes

Ink Blot

Question

[Description]
Inadvertently hit the level up icon during combat on a character that was knocked unconscious. Level up screen popped up, so I thought "What the hell" and went through the process. When I hit next after distributing the skill points, I got a black screen. Gauntlet cursor was still visible and I could move it around, and when I hovered the cursor over the area where the icons would be in the top middle of the screen (Class talents gained?), the popup descriptions of the class talents/abilities gained appeared. Other than that I couldn't do anything. No keyboard buttons worked (such as ESC), and I couldn't click anywhere to get out of it. Had to CTRL+ALT+DEL in order to exit the screen.

[DETAILS]
Not sure I want  to try to duplicate this, as I played for a couple hours without saving before this happened. If I get into a situation like that again where I have a character down but they have enough XP to level up, I may give it a shot.

[Expected behaviour]

I would expect either that the level up would be completed or, more sensibly, that the level up function would be disabled during combat.

Edited by Ink Blot

2 answers to this question

Hello Ink Blot,

Thank you for your posting. The level up function is actually intended to be disabled during combat. This is an issue we are aware of and should be resolved as we continue to polish the game. 

Thank you for your support!  :lol:

[description]

Out of combat, experienced same black screen bug:

My game just exhibited exactly the same symptoms after hitting done/finish (I forget the exact text on the button, but I was done and ready to leave the level up interface) when leveling up. I got a black screen where hovering at the top showed the description of the skills, etc. that I had just selected. I wasn't in combat, though -- I had just loaded a save with my characters standing in the middle of Dyrford Village. This happened twice in a row for me (I exited the game in between) with my main character, a chanter, first, and then BB Fighter.

I couldn't find another thread with a description of the black screen after leveling up, so I wanted to mention that it wasn't related to combat for me.

Screenshot attached.

post-66351-0-06647800-1409092282_thumb.png