4k Resolution (3840x2160) User Issues

Shadowstrider

Question

I did a really quick search to see if anyone had reported this or if it was in the known issues thread and didn't spot it, but apologies if I missed it.

The game runs perfectly well in 3840x2160 windowed, but when you attempt to launch it in fullscreen at this resolution the screen just flickers and flashes. I can hear audio playing so I know the game is running, it just doesn't display anything. I know 4k support is only in its infancy, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this or if it was just me.

19 answers to this question

(boring tech stuff uninteresting to Gromnir)

well, well, long time no see. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I did a really quick search to see if anyone had reported this or if it was in the known issues thread and didn't spot it, but apologies if I missed it.

The game runs perfectly well in 3840x2160 windowed, but when you attempt to launch it in fullscreen at this resolution the screen just flickers and flashes. I can hear audio playing so I know the game is running, it just doesn't display anything. I know 4k support is only in its infancy, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this or if it was just me.

Sorry, no experience, but even with 2560x1600 I feel like the resolution is barely supported at all, which is incredibly shortsighted.

HA! Good Fun!

Ha!

Indeed. I've posted a couple times here and there, but life has kept me busy. I suspect (and hope) PoE will bring lure me back to the forums, but I'm an old man now, so I suspect there will be a lot more discussion of lawncare and the good ol' days.

Sorry, no experience, but even with 2560x1600 I feel like the resolution is barely supported at all, which is incredibly shortsighted.

Well, it's not quite a matter of short-sighted as much as it is resources, I suspect, and this is the beta. Give 'em time.

Well, it's not quite a matter of short-sighted as much as it is resources, I suspect, and this is the beta. Give 'em time.

Sure, they have time to fix things - I'm just surprised that support for large resolutions seems like an afterthought when it's been obvious for years that 4K resolutions are arriving fast.

Sure, they have time to fix things - I'm just surprised that support for large resolutions seems like an afterthought when it's been obvious for years that 4K resolutions are arriving fast.

Well, to be fair, the game itself does seem to scale with resolution quite well, and the font slider is a boon.

The only issue I've experienced in my ~2 hours of play (small sample size, I know), is that I can't play in fullscreen. The UI itself is usable, the art scales. The game itself feels like it was built to support higher resolutions inherently, which is much better than most games manage. Your experience may be different from mine, so I'm curious to hear your issues.

HA! Good Fun!

Ha!

Indeed. I've posted a couple times here and there, but life has kept me busy. I suspect (and hope) PoE will bring lure me back to the forums, but I'm an old man now, so I suspect there will be a lot more discussion of lawncare and the good ol' days.

we have a crew o' gardeners for Gromnir properties. extent o' our lawn care input is calling armondo s________ and asking him to fix sprinklers at ___________ or perhaps trim back photinias at _____________. 

that does remind us that the photinias is growing up above our gutters at the terreno property.

in any event, wb and please keep lawn care insights to a minimum as we will be left without any valuable insights... not that our other insights is particularly noteworthy.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've posted about 4K support. The game looks great in 4K, seems to scale well. The problem for me is the game gets zoomed out in 4K. Currently, you can't zoom in very much and makes it hard for me to see the characters and combat. 

Is it playable or is everything to small? 

At 4k it feels perfectly playable in windowed mode. No complaints. I can't speak to his experience.

• Like 1

we have a crew o' gardeners for Gromnir properties. extent o' our lawn care input is calling armondo s________ and asking him to fix sprinklers at ___________ or perhaps trim back photinias at _____________. 

that does remind us that the photinias is growing up above our gutters at the terreno property.

in any event, wb and please keep lawn care insights to a minimum as we will be left without any valuable insights... not that our other insights is particularly noteworthy.

HA! Good Fun!

I've tried yelling really loud, but the lawn is stubborn. I have to cut the grass and trim the hedges about once a month.

I'll keep the flora and fauna woes to a minimum, for your sake.

Well, to be fair, the game itself does seem to scale with resolution quite well, and the font slider is a boon.

The only issue I've experienced in my ~2 hours of play (small sample size, I know), is that I can't play in fullscreen. The UI itself is usable, the art scales. The game itself feels like it was built to support higher resolutions inherently, which is much better than most games manage. Your experience may be different from mine, so I'm curious to hear your issues.

I'm in a bit of a hurry right now and can't give you a proper answer, I'll be back later today. Or tomorrow, depending on your timezone. :)

But yeah, I'm probably being a bit too harsh here. 2560x1600 is perfectly playable, it's just that... well, later!

I'm in a bit of a hurry right now and can't give you a proper answer, I'll be back later today. Or tomorrow, depending on your timezone. :)

But yeah, I'm probably being a bit too harsh here. 2560x1600 is perfectly playable, it's just that... well, later!

Don't get me wrong, I've noticed my share of issues as well, just nothing that makes me cry foul.

For example, in console game certification there is a concept of a "safe zone" which ranges from  10% to 20% of the screen's outermost edge. It's a carry-over from old cathode array displays, because different tubes stretched images differently, so you needed to be careful when placing UI elements or they might be stretched right off the screen. Modern monitors don't do this, but it's still considered a best practice to allow a "gutter". PoE doesn't do this at all, and I've noticed a number of UI elements and text that actually do run off screen, presumably because of the XML element's positioning. Nothing critical, it's most prominent with the Quest description text in the top left corner, or the loading messages in the bottom right, but it's in several places. Presumably it looks great on something like 1080p, I didn't actually check.

The game's combat also becomes nearly unplayable over time, and the higher my resolution the faster it degrades. These are things I'm sure they'll iron out, and it's basically the point of the beta to identify these.

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I'm also writing mine up in a better format than this thread.

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback. This is something we are working on and I will make sure that our UI programmer is aware of the challenges you are facing with these higher resolutions.

Thank you for your support during the beta!  :lol:

• Like 2

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the feedback. This is something we are working on and I will make sure that our UI programmer is aware of the challenges you are facing with these higher resolutions.

Thank you for your support during the beta!  :lol:

awesome!