Questions to the Devs

Huh?

You know, "Trying is the first step to failure" and such :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Remember the gamespot bit about the memory loss? It was altered:

You're something of an enigma at the start of the game--even to yourself--due to a mysterious past. You'll play a Jedi who's something of a lost soul, having gone astray and lost their connection to the Force. By that we mean they're out of touch, not strapping on heavy armor and wearing lost of black. However, despite your lack of focus in the Force, you still have a pivotal role to play in the battle against the Sith and in the fate of the galaxy

I'd like to know about the new advanced levels. Do they kick i once you reach a certain level or once u reach a certain point in the game?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Just because this one is easy to answer before I get off to work:

[*]Will there be a "push" feature, preferably implicit? Sheesh it was frustrating getting caught in corners, because party members wanted to hug you or somehing

Yeah. :) I'm not sure off hand if it's implicit or if you have to do it manually (like Fallout). But there is definitely something in there.

I'll look back later to see if there's any other questions in your Lists that can be answered.

-Akari

repost:

now that the devs is answering questions, Gromnir is wondering if the obsidian folks is taking an "if it ain't broken..." approach to skills as they is to combat. will skills be treated largely as they was in kotor? if changes to skills is made will they be superficial or substantial? will there be more quests that is limited to folks whose primary character has a requisite skill level? will game play be different for folks depending on what skills they takes? will the skills be better balanced than they was in kotor? etc.

whatever thoughts developers wish to share concerning kotor2 skills would be much appreciated... honest.

end repost

possibly gets a little more attention in this thread... or not.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

[*]Will there be a "safe" place to drop stuff from your inventory, including quest items (f.x. on the Ebon Hawk) to rid inventory of unsellable clutter?

This was in KotOR 1 already. There are storage containers on the Hawk.

And AFAIK nothing's unsellable after its quest is completed, though some items are worth zero credits.

[*]Will there be a "safe" place to drop stuff from your inventory, including quest items (f.x. on the Ebon Hawk) to rid inventory of unsellable clutter?

This was in KotOR 1 already. There are storage containers on the Hawk.

Ya, did you try using them? ;)

I'd still be playing...

New to this board. I don't post much on most boards, but I lurk a lot.

The questions I have, I don't know if they've been asked, but I stopped reading all of the questions because of the size of this thread vs. the time I have to read them, but I did read all of the developer's answers (I think I got them all).

Because I like to "personalize" my gaming experience a little (call it a habit from NWN, et-al):

1. Is Obsidian working out the details of being able to provide an sdk for this game...eventually? (Some have suggested Lucas won't allow for the modding of it's intellectual property, but there are other titles that LucasArts has fully supported modding for, like Jedi Academy.)

2. Will the game allow for more flexibility in chosing the appearance of the pc, beyond simply choosing a head? (ie: mix and match face/hair style/hair color/etc)

3. If the answer to question 2 is "no", will there be a wider variety of player character choices than what we had with KoTOR I?

4. If the answer to question 3 is "yes", will they be as butt-ugly as the ones in KoTOR I?

I may have more, but I'll keep my eye out for these for now.

Thanks

will I be able to be eviler example on taris when the kids stoned the ithorian I wanted to stone the kids to death the blast the ithorian fo whining then go into the apartment complex and kill the parents for having crappy parenting skills. My only choice though was to scare the kids away and leave the ithorian alone(I know I could heal it but I was evil) it blew.

[*]If combat animations are truly improved, will there be some kind of playback or save combat event for later feature. I'm a narcissist, I like to see myself in action. Would love to save some spectacular combat sequences for later perusal, after the adrenaline rush.

There's no plans for a playback feature that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, playback is a complicated feature to integrate unless the engine was designed with it in mind in the first place. And this one wasn't. I don't think it'd be doable.

[*]Is Lucasarts still doing all sound and music, like stated on your webpage, or do you have a say (even a small one) after all ?

Say over what? Over what the music is? I'm not sure. I do know that all sound effect placement in the actual areas (directional sound in levels, ambient noise, etc.) and music placement is handled on our end though.

[*]Will there be lethal combat, as in lethal for your party members, or do you still just have to have the last man standing on your team?

It will still be the Last Man Standing system a la KotOR1.

Glancing over your earlier list, I don't think I can comment on any of that.

-Akari

Guest Michael Chu
will I be able to be eviler example on taris when the kids stoned the ithorian I wanted to stone the kids to death the blast the ithorian fo whining then go into the apartment complex and kill the parents for having crappy parenting skills.  My only choice though was to scare the kids away and leave the ithorian alone(I know I could heal it but I was evil) it blew.

Maybe if it were a Duro or a Rodian. But me, I think the Ithorians have suffered enough. :)

will I be able to be eviler example on taris when the kids stoned the ithorian I wanted to stone the kids to death the blast the ithorian fo whining then go into the apartment complex and kill the parents for having crappy parenting skills.

hey akari how much time do you spend looking at the boards? It loks like you are almost always on to me.

Also will blaster feats be worth taking now and will repeating blaster be able to hit ma target more than twice, because I always though pistols should get one shot and rifles should get and reapeters 3 or more.

Will there be force powers that added to your skills

Example:

Force slice

Security

Force repair

have any new skills been added?

This is sort of a half-answer, so bear with me. In KotOR some skills may have felt neglected by the end of the game. In our game we try to make each skill get more "air time", if you will. Ideally speaking if you have bought any particular skill by the end of the game you should feel like you got some good mileage off of it. There will probably be some skills that are more desirable than others (which is almost always inevitable), but all skills should have their moments to shine and be relevant.

-Ferret

The magazines stated that you would have 10 npcs to choose from to fill out your party, and that you could get different npcs depending on your sex and ls/ds status. Does this mean the total number of NPCs in game are more than 10, but depending how you play, onyl 10 will be available to you?

This is sort of a half-answer, so bear with me. In KotOR some skills may have felt neglected by the end of the game. In our game we try to make each skill get more "air time", if you will. Ideally speaking if you have bought any particular skill by the end of the game you should feel like you got some good mileage off of it. There will probably be some skills that are more desirable than others (which is almost always inevitable), but all skills should have their moments to shine and be relevant.

-Ferret

Will there be any new skills added?

Like deviding persuade into:

persuade

Intimidate

Lie

And could we see force powers entered into conversions, example:

Intimadate + choke

Glancing over your earlier list, I don't think I can comment on any of that.

-Akari

Thanks for the answers :)

I didn't really expect anyone to answer all of them. I'll just keep adding questions, then I'll have numbers on my side... :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Will you be releasing media packages so that people can have logos, screenshots and etc. to make fan sites for the upcoming game?

:unsure: :ph34r:

Also, this is half statement and half question... When you defeat certin sith jedi in the original, you would get their armour. The only problem is, it would restrict your use of force powers. Will drops like this be addressed so my uber-sith character will be able to look like an actual sith lord and still use force powers?

Thanks you staff members that take the time to answer and read the forums.

Here's a question: for those who worked on PS:T, how would you say the depth of NPCs and story relates in KOTOR 2? Is there any comparison?

Also what will the differences between the PC and Xbox version be, or is it too early to comment? I feel that the interface and inventory on the PC could have used a lot more tweaking, and (I admit a bigger task) the PC could have coped with a lot of the levels being merged together just fine.

will the path you're on, meaning ls or ds, make other characters you come across react to you more believably? for example, i played one game as basically satan himself. my ds meter was ALL the way down to the bottom by the time i left Taris. the background behind my character on that profile screen was all black and red with little sparks of fire rising up behind him. the guy looked like linda blair, complete with yellow eyes and pale, grey skin. but when i got to Dantooine to go before the jedi council, the masters were all "we see great promise in you, young one. we believe you can stop malak and save the galaxy." shouldn't they have been more like, "there's no way we're training this one." and then maybe you get your training from elsewhere, like at the sith academy instead. i don't know....i just thought that was kinda funny.