Questions to the Devs

Gromnir gots a long memory. noticed how quiet it was 'round here til announcement. when boards first started up, developers was talkative for a couple of days

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir gots a long memory. noticed how quiet it was 'round here til announcement. when boards first started up, developers was talkative for a couple of days

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ah Grommir ...

no doubt you can see why these comments might make Gromnir question you.

sentinel sucked compared to other classes.

sentinel was less efficacious than the other classes.

sentinel is the one class that bio invented.

bioware must be powergamers.

huh?

Now I said unfinished, I once said the Sentinel have the combat skills of a consular and the force skills of a guardian and I stand by my observation.

It needed more work, not having immunties that come into play once in a blue moon ... if grip was actually stop by those immunities I could say the Sentinel was almost equal.

Powergaming comment is from the all the high level equipment hanging around and the very odd creation of the implant system.

also of note, bioware actually made the jedi classes less powerful than the d20 counterparts when it was coming to combat... and 80%+ of the game was combat. if we recall correct, a lightsabre in the hands of a jedi with 15 levels of guardian would be doing 5d8 damage per hit.

You shoot yourself in the foot by the fact Star Wars d20 does not have crystal upgrades.

as to why you might combine various skills into diplomacy... well, if you is using the aurora engine as the basis for kotor, it seems kinda obvious why skills look similar to nwn... also explains why there is similar slots for magic/techno items.

Sorry, the scripts just looks for the skill name and then calculates, there is no issue about having diplomacy and intimidate separeted as it sould simply either look for one or the other.

Reason that was done was for the "best of two worlds", Bob even said so.

didn't you ever wonder why jedi powers is NOT based on skills in kotor?

However HotU have epic spells that look for the spellcraft skill.

Its possible in the aurora and there are leftovers that shows that at one point they actually tried that route ... why the implementation we end up with I really dont know.

drakron.png

"Now I said unfinished, I once said the Sentinel have the combat skills of a consular and the force skills of a guardian and I stand by my observation.

"It needed more work, not having immunties that come into play once in a blue moon ... if grip was actually stop by those immunities I could say the Sentinel was almost equal.

"Powergaming comment is from the all the high level equipment hanging around and the very odd creation of the implant system."

you is still trying to have both ways. the immunities come into play infrequently, making the sentinel less powerful... but now you is suggesting that sentinel combines best aspects of consular and guardian?

HA!

the crystal upgrades still not allow for 5d8 or more, does they? the other weapons not get upgrades in d20 neither, so lightsabres would still far outstrip other weapons. you not getting this balance thing is you?

"Reason that was done was for the "best of two worlds", Bob even said so."

you realize that this means nothing w/o context. the biowarians did suggest that adding bluff and intimidate to hotu weren't as easy as you suggest, but we concede that it could be done.

"However HotU have epic spells that look for the spellcraft skill."

come now, you ain't equating the way d20 star wars does jedi powers with the epic spells in HotU, or is you? we hope not.

HA! Good Fun!

you is still trying to have both ways. the immunities come into play infrequently, making the sentinel less powerful... but now you is suggesting that sentinel combines best aspects of consular and guardian?

No, but as it stands they have the worst.

the crystal upgrades still not allow for 5d8 or more, does they? the other weapons not get upgrades in d20 neither, so lightsabres would still far outstrip other weapons. you not getting this balance thing is you?

They do actually, force regeneration for example is not present at all in Star Wars d20 and as I am at it weapons CAN be customized in Star Wars d20.

you realize that this means nothing w/o context. the biowarians did suggest that adding bluff and intimidate to hotu weren't as easy as you suggest, but we concede that it could be done.

Well it can, remenber that HK-47 repairs are done by dialogue.

Reasons why Bioware did not do it in HotU I can guess, it would play havoc with people importing characters from NwN and SoU.

come now, you ain't equating the way d20 star wars does jedi powers with the epic spells in HotU, or is you? we hope not.

Yes and no, you know its a skill check on Star Wars d20 for it to work and its exactly how it works in HotU, the spell makes a skill (spellcraft) check to see if the spell is casted, the only diference is there are several skills in Star Wars d20 but that is nothing compared with the seed system used in epic spells in D&D.

Reguadless its the same basic mechanic, you simply have to make a skill check and beat the DC for it to work.

drakron.png

I think the Sentinel is the bard of Star wars; jack of all trades. Think about it, he's skill oriented, something of a backup character design with his force immunities and so has a support role, and is skills-oriented. As with the bard, either players aren't creative enough to use him fully, or the creators of the system are just too careful about overbalancing and making the character class too powerful.

On a side note: Yes, I know these developers are different. I was trying to say, though with common human stupidity and clumsiness messed up saying, was that people repeated questions over and over again even when the devs said they weren't going to answer. Didn't someone ask about length/planetsize after someone said that was impossible to know?

"No, but as it stands they have the worst."

reason it is worst is 'cause it is relatively underpowered compared to guardian and consular.

"They do actually, force regeneration for example is not present at all in Star Wars d20 and as I am at it weapons CAN be customized in Star Wars d20. "

and there is special lightsabres in d20 too... am not seeing the dif... and we not see what your point is 'bout force regeneration. that again is an issue dealing with force powers and how they is implemented much different than the d20 skills based powers, no? also, armour in star wars gives dr... is no ac bonus. but lightsabres ignore dr. makes the lightsabre even more powerful in d20 star wars than in kotor.

you not seem to be talking 'bout the same skills Gromnir is. we is talking jedi skills in d20, right? jedi skills must overcome dc checks just like all other skills. is not like how if you got level 20 and a 30 in spellcraft you can add epic spells to your level nine pool of spells.

example:

if we recall correct, force grip not check skill level to see if he can cast... got 1 skill level in any jedi skill and you can use that power. skill level checks sets the dc for the opposing will save. if you gots lots of skill levels, the will save for an opponent becomes more difficult (the dc is also modified by the dark jedi's int score... and not all dark side jedi skills is modified by int. can be wis or con or charisma or other stuff too.) force grip cots 4 vitality points to cast... which is akin to hps.

no spell levels, and the skill checks works much different too. loose vitality points for casting. sure... mechanics is exactly the same.

HA! Good Fun!

Am I the only one that realized the dev's are probably incredibly busy, and DON'T have the time to go around to every forum on the face of the planet, scrounge up information from their team, and write a carefully thought out reply (they have roughly eight months left, I believe, and considering what they still don't know...)?  Not like saying this will do any good... I guess people are going to continue repeating some question of theirs over and over, the dev's will never read it, but they'll persist nonetheless.  Just think:  what on earth would you do with yourselves if they hadn't announced this?  Not to say you shouldn't ask anything, it's fun to do - just as long as you have no expectations of them answering.

Everyone knows that. Or at least I would think. If they've got the time they will, if they don't, they won't. No big deal. I could understand what you're saying if there were a bunch of people demanding they get answers, but obviously it's not like that, right?

If they decide they don't want to talk about it anymore, they won't bother. It's pretty much the same on any developers board. Take a look around.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you mean. And I agree.

Am I the only one that realized the dev's are probably incredibly busy, and DON'T have the time to go around to every forum on the face of the planet, scrounge up information from their team, and write a carefully thought out reply (they have roughly eight months left, I believe, and considering what they still don't know...)?

No one expects them to go to every forum on the face of the planet. However, this place isn't like every forum on the face of the planet. This is their own forum. Why is it unreasonable to expect them to drop by and answer questions occasionally?

I, for one, hope to see some participation from the developers. The idea that they don't have enough time is silly. Sure, they're busy and it's their right to read and answer threads or not as they choose.

Frankly, I've been happy to see some of the team answering questions and keeping in touch with the board population. It's a good thing to see and I hope it continues.

If the developers come on to discuss some of the issues with the members, then the forum can only be enhanced.

Will I buy the game if the developers don't frequent the boards? Of course I will. I want the game because of the game, not because of the accessibility of the developers... or lack thereof. Nevertheless, getting some access to the developers does promote interest for the folks who come here.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

But yeah, Pluto's a puppy. Goofy's a dog.

so when pluto grows up, he will talk and wear clothes?

Like most cartoon characters, it seems that the Disney animals are ageless, and as such will never grow up. Although new characters will be arbitrarily added. Like Goofy suddenly gets a son, and Pluto turns out to be their pet, so I kinda see what you mean. Anyway....

More questions to add to my list (way back on page 4 :( )

• Will there be a "push" feature, preferably implicit? Sheesh it was frustrating getting caught in corners, because party members wanted to hug you or somehing
  • Will there be a "safe" place to drop stuff from your inventory, including quest items (f.x. on the Ebon Hawk) to rid inventory of unsellable clutter?
  • If combat animations are truly improved, will there be some kind of playback or save combat event for later feature. I'm a narcissist, I like to see myself in action. Would love to save some spectacular combat sequences for later perusal, after the adrenaline rush.
  • Is Lucasarts still doing all sound and music, like stated on your webpage, or do you have a say (even a small one) after all ?
  • Is the no violence/adult action thing a Lucasarts thing or a "rating" thing (i.e. target audience)
  • Will we be able to "cheat" in the minigames if we have sufficient skill levels ? Like cheating in Pazaak ? B)
  • Will there be more (and definitely better) random (not scripted) encounters in the game. Like somebody you owe money (Han Solo?) put a bounty on you, a deceived lover wants your head on a silver platter etc. Lots of stuff like that ?
  • Will there be lethal combat, as in lethal for your party members, or do you still just have to have the last man standing on your team?

I'll wait a couple of pages and then add more ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Will there be a "push" feature, preferably implicit? Sheesh it was frustrating getting caught in corners, because party members wanted to hug you or somehing

yeah, something similar to BG2's 'push' would be nice, nothing worse than party members that block your path and refuse to move.

Is the no violence/adult action thing a Lucasarts thing or a "rating" thing (i.e. target audience)

A bit of both probably. I'd appreciate more 'adult action' in kotor2 but that might be unrealistic.

I got another question. Will KOTOR 2 use any direct x 9 features?

I'm still cursing, that I played the game through the first 3 times with "Frame Buffer Effects" off... :angry:

That one should really have been on by default. Made it a completely different experience and the reason I started on trip 4 and 5 through the game... :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Like Goofy suddenly gets a son, and Pluto turns out to be their pet, so I kinda see what you mean.

why would a dog keep another dog as a pet? is goofy a slave master?

dumber than a bag of hammers

What's your in-house motto?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy