First Day Feedback

TL;DR: I have not read every post on here, so I know much of what I am saying may have already been said or what may already be known. This is my honest feedback for my 1st couple hours playing. I will update this as I get time:

Upon starting the game, when going through the config menu options, clicking on each button would

randomly remove the labels for the other buttons. Effectively you would not know what menu was what.

Movement speed while exploring is absurdly fast. It looks borderline comical. Even villagers just

walking by move at a speed as if they just robbed a bank and are trying desperately to be

inconspicuous.

Map MUST have the ability to create your own notes on it. I really hope this is planned. This was

available in games 20 years ago. It should be assumed for a game like this.

I am hoping the food ingredient thumbnails are just placeholders. Everything in game looking like a

sack of grain has left me wanting. Now that I am seeing more, it has to be placeholders. I just picked

up a gem that looks like a sack of grain. Confident this is temporary.

Love the coloring shift when you have looted something out of a container while hitting TAB. Also,

showing the nameplates of all in the area while hitting TAB is a great feature as well. It saves the

monotony of having to mouse hover over everything in populated areas.

There is a lot of overlay issues. When levelling up a character, I could still see the purple "secret

found" circle from a secret in a bale of hay I spotted. Another was when I scroll through a menu, the

arrow on  the left is sometimes hidden by the foreground, etc.

Load times between areas are a bit jarring, pulling you out of the immersion a bit. It's not over the

top, but my hope is that this will improve with tuning before release.

Graphically and aesthetically, you nailed the Inifinity Engine look and feel (minus everyone moving

around doped up on speed). Extremely pleased with this. The water, fire, smoke billow, etc. is

beautifully done.

I don't know if this is intentional - but it doesn't appear that conversations use the highest

attribute from your party, but only from that of the main character. This is a bit of a dissapointment

to min-maxers like myself. Yup, just tested some more on this. Even if I specifically have a character

other than the main talk to someone, it tells me that the requirement is not met by the person talking

to them, when I know it does. Why only use the main characters stats? Seems a bit silly, really. It

takes away half the purpose of putting points into skills for the rest of the characters.

When "Hiring" a character, once you click on it, you are stuck. What if you change your mind? Are you

forced to complete the character creationa and out the 1000+?

Hoping for more character customization choices. Never understood the current dreadlocks trend in

recent high fantasy. Currently the choices are bald, some manner of dreadlocks, or severe beadhead.

This request extends to character portraits as well. Half the portraits are God-like. It becomes

difficult to find a portrait that even somewhat resembles what I have created.

Adding substantial bonuses to resting in an inn was a nice touch.

Pathing needs a bit of work. Your own characters should need to move out of the way to let others

through. As it stands, the person just keeps running in place trying to get to the destination.

Combat seems to be the biggest dissapointment. It's... unecessarily chaotic. My guys all-too-quickly

swing a longsword around as if it's a dirk. It moves way too fast to really even know what is going on.

Coupled with the fact that animations seemed rushed and sloppy, I have some concerns about longevity.

Tooltips don't seem to be working for the party stash, but only each character's personal inventory. In

the inventory, the tooltip pops up, but the thumbnails are missing.

Character attributes should have some level of feedback to them. It's just random numbers to be. I

can't make an effective choice in character progression if I only know what something should do and not

"how much" does it to it. I know I need Dex to hit, but what if I am effectively hit capped for my

level and need to put more into STR. There is currently no way to know this. Example: I have 18 DEX as a monk for my level, which increases my accuracy by 18 to a total of 45. Does this necessarily mean 45% chance to hit? How would one know this? My will is 32. Does that mean I have a 32% chance to resist will-based debuffs?

All in all, I am very happy with the progress, but there is quite a ways to go. It has the potential to

the RPG to set the "classic" standard for our generation.

Nice write-up of what you've experienced, but shouldn't this be in one of the Beta forums?

Also, Pillars of Eternity: Revenge of the Grain

• Like 1

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Nice write-up of what you've experienced, but shouldn't this be in one of the Beta forums?

Also, Pillars of Eternity: Revenge of the Grain

Thanks for pointing that out. I have continued the conversation there. In addition, it appears my concerns about speed were remedied by being made aware of the "double-speed" feature ;)

FIXED!