question about the backgrounds

if i understand it, you can choose different backgrounds when you start the game? And that will effect dialogue in the main story but the story in itself remains the same. I'm just curious if the story can be truly captivating like in PS:T if you have different backgrounds? So far, it looks like i'm a sort of a mercenary or 'mr. nobody' who accidentally stumbles upon the story. I just hope i will feel the story really matters like in PS:T or even BG2 and not that it's like in IWD2. Is there a chance of multiple endings like in PS:T ?

Finally i'd like to thank the people behind Pillars of Eternity for giving us hope that new games with the likes of BG1&BG2, PST,.. will see the light.

It ain't gonna be PS:T, that's for sure. You can't get that with a blank-slate character like here.

But it isn't going to be another Icewind Dale either. There are at least eight fully fleshed-out characters, and a story that's about you. I would expect a similar setup as in FO:NV or Mask of the Betrayer -- something nasty happens to you and you have to deal with the consequences. Obsidian is good at story and making you care about it; I don't have too many worries on that score.

I would also expect there to be multiple endings.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

PrimeJunta

Wait, if i recall there was one of the stech goals that was adding possubility to create your own team, in practical point of view, if you create our own party... will it not end just like in Ice Wind Dale ?

You make the Main PC at character generation, and at a point in the game you can "hire" (and create) other companions in certain locations.  These hired characters are built by you, and replace the companion NPCs.  However, they aren't with you from the beginning like the IWD games.  So, yes and no?

Also be wary when u select ur background. After u have spent ur points it addes a point to what it says but takes a point from somewhere else to get it....at least in my game it does.

That's actually culture. When selecting attributes, it is assumed you already have chosen a culture and that bonus is factored in. However, if you switch cultures that point willl be removed and added to the appropriate attribute. It's why a popular suggestion has been to have culture selection happen before attributes are chosen.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

thanks a lot for the info. Yeah, i don't doubt the the ability of the writers team, i played KotOR2 and PS:T and the writing was superb, those were real characters with thoughts, emotions. My guess is i'll go with their chars for the first 2-3 plays and learn their stories, form friendships and eventually also experience their stories and missions. Then, after i learned more about the game and also wish to play on a higher difficulty i could go and form a party myself. It would be cool if you mix your party members with the pre-written ones and then they have dialogue lines like 'hey, you're not as capable as me!' :no:

I guess i was just confused with the demo and start of the game, since we create our main character, then the first what you see is your char with a complete party in one of the game areas but i guess that's just for the demo/beta. I thought that BG2 did it better with the tutorial placing you in an area which is not in the main game.

PrimeJunta

Wait, if i recall there was one of the stech goals that was adding possubility to create your own team, in practical point of view, if you create our own party... will it not end just like in Ice Wind Dale ?

You make the Main PC at character generation, and at a point in the game you can "hire" (and create) other companions in certain locations.  These hired characters are built by you, and replace the companion NPCs.  However, they aren't with you from the beginning like the IWD games.  So, yes and no?

Thanks for infromation...

But still how much does it changes from "icewind Dale" type of chars ?

They still will not have any "relations" in the game world, even if i create a char and give him "farmer" backgroud no farmer in the world will come to him and say "Hay fellow farmer, you are advenchurer now i see", Even if i create a team of "Flirty" girls this doesnt mean that i will have 5 romances and the same time xD

They still will be like "chargen" puppets from ice wind dale, never will they interact with the world or my main char like "dev" created chars... and the time when they "join" the main party doesnt matter from this point ... or em i wrong ? XD

Edited by Ulquiorra

PrimeJunta

Thanks for infromation...

But still how much does it changes from "icewind Dale" type of chars ?

They still will not have any "relations" in the game world, even if i create a char and give him "farmer" backgroud no farmer in the world will come to him and say "Hay fellow farmer, you are advenchurer now i see", Even if i create a team of "Flirty" girls this doesnt mean that i will have 5 romances and the same time xD

They still will be like "chargen" puppets from ice wind dale, never will they interact with the world or my main char like "dev" created chars... and the time when they "join" the main party doesnt matter from this point ... or em i wrong ? XD

It isn't like Icewind Dale because those are optional mercenary companions, for people that aren't satisfied with the class/race of the fully fleshed companions. There are eight true companions, but there are eleven classes, some people may want a class that isn't among them, or an extra member of another.

Edited by Lychnidos

It isn't like Icewind Dale because those are optional mercenary companions, for people that aren't satisfied with the class/race of the fully fleshed companions. There are eight true companions, but there are eleven classes, some people may want a class that isn't among them, or an extra member of another.

You know, in icewind dale you also "coud" create only 1 charater xD. the issu i have that the "user" created chars will be the same as ice wind daleish puppets with no "bounds" with the world xD

And i don't kow how the fact that they are optional chenges this thing xD

Okej i know that companios created by des will have some "bounds" with the world, but we are not talking about them but "user created" ones, of cource the main char propably will have some also, but do all user created will have ?

You know, in icewind dale you also "coud" create only 1 charater xD. the issu i have that the "user" created chars will be the same as ice wind daleish puppets with no "bounds" with the world xD

And i don't kow how the fact that they are optional chenges this thing xD

Okej i know that companios created by des will have some "bounds" with the world, but we are not talking about them but "user created" ones, of cource the main char propably will have some also, but do all user created will have ?

No, the user created ones will be silent, blank eyed meat puppets, with no connection to the world.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer