Drama in the indy gaming biz ?

NWN_babaYaga

There is a fish dude called Phil fish and a drama "feminist" Quinn fish female. Both have done ONE game, but nothing realy big contributed to games in general but make a "hype" about themselfs instead. The only thing I got out of this BS is both have private issues and should make joga instead of using a keyboard.

isnt it funny that both are the ones who start talking about making money via youtube and copyright infringement here and there when the whole mod and indy scene is pretty against monetization, censorship and and and. Well, i´ll be honest as always and i say fuc+ fez and fuc+ suicide quest !

• Like 1

IF one of said person is worth the hype without all their private issues and why people react to that. I dont know. Or why they think they are so important whatever. Or maybe why indy developers have more mental issues then ordindary devs who have a real job not thinking they have changed the face of the planet earth....

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

I'm sorry, but what do we actually discuss in this thread?

Spider-Woman's ass in that variant cover.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Zoe Quinn, developer of the indie game Depression Quest had sex with a games journalist, according to a butthurt ex-boyfriend. This led to accusations of nepotism and unprofessional behavior (also ****-shaming). That's about the whole story, really.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Zoe Quinn, developer of the indie game Depression Quest had sex with a games journalist, according to a butthurt ex-boyfriend. This led to accusations of nepotism and unprofessional behavior (also ****-shaming). That's about the whole story, really.

More to it than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

So the real problem is the attention by the press and now the press itself has shot themself in the foot because a few of them had a good ride with a female dev who was clever enough to screw them afterwards by blackmailing them ?

Well if that is the story then she is at least clever. Doesnt makes a good game dev but credits for her anyway. The real problem i see is that she took down a channel because of ONE image of her game. So soon we could see no more lets plays of games because she already made an example on how that might work. So in theory you could take down a channel or video just because you have one single image of a game in it where you claim ownership. That is worrying i would say.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

If only.

The whole thing started as some kind of holy war over women victimization and misogyny.

By now it seems to be about defending the holy right of the internet of tearing down whoever we don't like.

There was also the hacking thing with Phil Fish where his data went public supposedly for white-knighting.

Stupid drama. Who cares who and how many someone sleeps with. Don't be jealous.

That said,  she is one of those 'feminists' who claim that cheating on your significant other, not telling them, and then sleeping with them is basically rape so... hypocrisy. But,   hypocrisy is a disease that afflcist many people.

Still, why talk about thsic rap? It gives too muchc redit for all the losers involved (including the ex boyfriend). I really wish I didn't know this sort of nonsense.

THANKS INTERNET.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Spider-Woman's ass in that variant cover.

It wasn't drawn by Frank Cho, it was therefore substandard.

On the topic, I would really prefer if we stay out of this firefight. IDK where Obsidian stands on this issue but let's not give anyone (SJWs) cause to complain.

Also I would like us to be able to keep the Pretty Woman thread going.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It wasn't drawn by Frank Cho, it was therefore substandard.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Volo speaks wisdom.

Also, ex-boyfriend has proven himself to be a person who has no qualms about posting personal conversations for All Teh Internetz to see, engaging in tasteless ****-shaming, and basically attempting to wreck the professional career of multiple people. Not the kind of person anyone should treat as a reliable source of information.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well,

i just must add one little thing. I now know what the "game" is about at least. It´s not a game. Thats the problem of everything !

Even the old text based adventures on c64 had more graphics in it then that wall of text. It´s basically a random story of a person with a mental problem she describes as "depression". Thats it. No game, just wall of text that causes depression ! So my conclusion is there was no indy game dev female who caused drama... just another scandal that fits right into the political agenda of some people. Shame on steam for greenlighting something that is just text. Even for free, it´s a fraud !

And i bet my a** that she soon announces to WRITE a book, appears on national television and makes press for her new book. Anyone in it against my power of prophecy :D ?

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

i just must add one little thing. I now know what the "game" is about at least. It´s not a game. Thats the problem of everything !

Even the old text based adventures on c64 had more graphics in it then that wall of text. It´s basically a random story of a person with a mental problem she describes as "depression". 

It's basically a "choose your adventure"-style thingy. Wasn't there supposed to be a renaissance of those on tablets or something? Anyway, if those are sold as games, Depression Quest is also a game.

Also, "a mental problem she describes as 'depression'", complete with scare-quotes. Wow. Just... wow.

Volo speaks wisdom.

Also, ex-boyfriend has proven himself to be a person who has no qualms about posting personal conversations for All Teh Internetz to see, engaging in tasteless ****-shaming, and basically attempting to wreck the professional career of multiple people. Not the kind of person anyone should treat as a reliable source of information.

Well if even a fifth of his accusations are true, she seems like a pretty ****ty person. As it is, I don't think any of the people involved are particularly trustworthy.

on steam a boring wall of text wannabe game that caused much drama ...wow just wow. For me it´s not a game it´s a fraud. And depression is something a doctor can tell you that you have it. When i write a story about a murder and then i say it´s "christus quest" it´s the same.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

Well if even a fifth of his accusations are true, she seems like a pretty ****ty person. As it is, I don't think any of the people involved are particularly trustworthy.

No arguments there. Still, this whole scandal is a gross invasion of her privacy.

on steam a boring wall of text wannabe game that caused much drama 

What? The game didn't cause any drama. A butthurt ex is about the only source of drama I'm seeing here.

And depression is something a doctor can tell you that you have it.

I'm a med student who played the game and has at least four people in his family/among friends who are currently battling with depression. I think I'm not talking out of my ass when I say it's a pretty accurate representation of the illness. (That, of course, doesn't mean that every depressed person on the planet has the same experience.)

• Like 1

Hey NWN_babaYaga, I think you could have introduced the topic a bit better in the OP, outlining the situation and posting some of the arguments from either side.
It'd create a better environment for discussion.

I've been following this drama on and off.

Rather interesting series of events, to say the least.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I recognize the name Nathan Grayson. He's done quite a few write ups for Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 among others.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

One thing that does bother me about Kotaku writers is that whenever I try to look up their qualifications I come up short. I found a picture of a post of someone that claimed to be from a firm that tried to do some business with IGN and other gaming websites and found out that they had an accreditation rating of 15, to put in perspective the National Inquirer is 38.
One of the reasons was the lack of staff members with actual journalism degrees, I have found no evidence to the contrary.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

One thing that does bother me about Kotaku writers is that whenever I try to look up their qualifications I come up short. I found a picture of a post of someone that claimed to be from a firm that tried to do some business with IGN and other gaming websites and found out that they had an accreditation rating of 15, to put in perspective the National Inquirer is 38.

One of the reasons was the lack of staff members with actual journalism degrees, I have found no evidence to the contrary.

Huh, sounds like the industry has really low standards.

I don't put much stick in vidya gaem journalism, as I find it to be mostly lists on "greatest games" or someone telling me what an ungrateful **** I am.

• Like 1

Volo speaks wisdom.

Quinn also faked a doxing and her being the victim of a raid by Disney fans. Well that and complaining about nudes out there that she herself willingly put out there. So pretty believable she'd be sleazy to do that. Everyone involved in this can burn, but it's delightful entertainment. Fish hasn't killed himself yet, but give it time.

Though in the end it will be spun as innocent female developer being victimized by nerds online. Walker, Kuchera and others will write scolding articles, and so on. Quinn will end up getting a lot of money out of this too :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Volo speaks wisdom.

Quinn also faked a doxing and her being the victim of a raid by Disney fans. Well that and complaining about nudes out there that she herself willingly put out there. So pretty believable she'd be sleazy to do that. Everyone involved in this can burn, but it's delightful entertainment. Fish hasn't killed himself yet, but give it time.

Though in the end it will be spun as innocent female developer being victimized by nerds online. Walker, Kuchera and others will write scolding articles, and so on. Quinn will end up getting a lot of money out of this too :lol:

Latest was they(4chan) were trying to reach John Oliver and ask him to cover the story.

Really, I just hope that TFYC projects gets made. Even if the project itself should fail it shouldn't be because of lack of funding.

I'm actually rooting for one of the proposals, it seems interesting and I like the art style.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-fine-young-capitalists--2

I'm rooting for Afterlife Empire BTW.

village_idiot.gif