Character Creation Extreme Lag

Danvil

Question

Each time I click a button in the character creation screen the game "hangs" for about 5 seconds. The animation stops playing, but the mouse cursor can still be moved. The lag happens with almost all buttons, e.g. clicking "male" or "female", or clicking the little arrow button to distribute attribute points.

Due to that bug I am unable to create a character or play the game because distributing the 57 attribute points would take forever...

My system: Windows 7 64bit (Service Pack 1), GeForce GTX670, Driver 332.21

16 answers to this question

I also have this problem on win7 x64, on a GTX770. Am having a play around with it.

For posterity, I don't have this issue except when choosing the class, and then it's only a very minimal lag (less than 2 seconds). I'm also on Win7 64 bit and using an nVidia card (GTX 560 Ti). My video driver version is 311.06

Hello all,

Thank you for this information. We are working hard to polish the game and character creation is not fully optimized at this time. This can have a performance effect on some machines and that's why it is very helpful that you are all posting your system specifications. I will update our database with this information.

Thank you for your continued support during the beta!  :lol:

Thank you for the feedback NCarver! Any hints what we could try to avoid the problem? For example changing any graphics settings or hidden ini settings?

I don't have any known workarounds at this time. Though it's still worth asking because I'm willing to bet that some other backers have found ways to help the issue.

I have read some claims that the delay reduces slightly as you use the interface, but I cannot confirm this. It also seems that most (not all) of the users that are experiencing this issue have lower system specifications, usually lacking in RAM capacity.

I hope this helps and please expect the game to run smoother as we work towards optimization.  :)

Well I'm experiencing the issue, and these are my specs:

* Phenom II X4, 3.7Ghz (OC'd)

* R9 290 (OC'd)

* 8GB RAM

* Windows 8.1, up-to-date

For me, the issue seems to be getting worse with everytime I start the game. I don't recall character creation being slow the first time I ran the game. Now it's... 30 seconds+ to get from New Game to character creation.

My system is: Windows 7 64bit (Service Pack 1), GeForce GTX670, Driver 332.21, Phenom 2 X4 965, 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM. While this is not the newest machine it should be well enough to run this game.

Please don't put this issue away as "lack of optimization" - there is definitely something amiss here if it runs completely fine one some machines with lower specs but on other systems there is a lag of more than 5 seconds each time the character model ist loaded.

Perhaps it is an issue that I have a Unity3D (non-pro) installation for my own projects?

Thanks for answering NCarver! This issue has been reported a lot (I myself created a thread about it a while back) and I know that it's an ongoing fix so I'm glad devs are still responding rather than filing this under "we are aware, please wait until fix'd."

As for RAM, I don't think that's an issue unless 8gigs is somehow too little RAM nowadays? On another thread I even saw someone report the problem who had 16 gigs. Unless you were talking about graphics card RAM, but even then...

I've also seen this reported with a variety of cards, both Nvidia and AMD.

I've noticed that two others in this thread are using a Phenom II X4 processor (as am I). There's at least one post I've seen that doesn't, but maybe there's some commonality there too.

Edited by fortuntek

I have lower specs than both of the systems in here:
Windows 7 (32-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 Ghz
Geforce GT 630

8GB RAM

Yet I do NOT have this issue... though there is a slight lag when I click things... it's like it needs to scrap everything it know about your character and build it anew every time I touch a button... Maybe we are just dealing with an overactive garbage collector...

• Like 1

it's like it needs to scrap everything it know about your character and build it anew every time I touch a button... Maybe we are just dealing with an overactive garbage collector...

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It's like it's reloading each asset each time you make a change, right? But it's not just with 3d models, it also happens when, for example, clicking to increase a stat during the stat allocation screen.

Even more strange, is that pop-up/mouse-over text is not similarly delayed. So the whole interface isn't slowed down, only parts of it.

I hope this helps and please expect the game to run smoother as we work towards optimization.  :)

Would it help if those of us having the problem posted our dxdiag info??

I'll get the ball rolling just in case.

(Instructions: Run>Dxdiag, 'Save All Information,' attach txt file to post (must be full reply, not quick reply)

:)

DxDiag.txt

Well I'm experiencing the issue, and these are my specs:

* Phenom II X4, 3.7Ghz (OC'd)

* R9 290 (OC'd)

* 8GB RAM

* Windows 8.1, up-to-date

For me, the issue seems to be getting worse with everytime I start the game. I don't recall character creation being slow the first time I ran the game. Now it's... 30 seconds+ to get from New Game to character creation.

This sounds like a different issue. The delay between new game and character creation can sometimes be extensive and our programmers will be addressing this later on in the project span.

I can make no guarantees, but It might help to delete your save files or perhaps just the ones you no longer need. Since it sounds like this has progressed over time.

You can find your saved games at %appdata%\..\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves\

Thanks! 

My system is: Windows 7 64bit (Service Pack 1), GeForce GTX670, Driver 332.21, Phenom 2 X4 965, 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM. While this is not the newest machine it should be well enough to run this game.

Please don't put this issue away as "lack of optimization" - there is definitely something amiss here if it runs completely fine one some machines with lower specs but on other systems there is a lag of more than 5 seconds each time the character model ist loaded.

Perhaps it is an issue that I have a Unity3D (non-pro) installation for my own projects?

This is not necessarily because the machine is too old, or not new enough. The specifications for the machines running the game may be superb, as in your case and many others.

When I say that the game has not been optimized it means that we have not yet completed compatibility testing for all of the different possible device components. It also means that our assets/code/resources may still have ways to be handled more efficiently and we are working on that as the project polishes. Optimization tends to come in towards the end of a project as it cannot really be completed while the project is changing drastically.

One of the best ways to help to solve this issue is exactly what all of you are doing here. Reporting the issue and supplying as much system information and as many output logs as possible. All of this information helps us to identify what opportunities we have to optimize the game to support all of these machines.

Edit* : Would it be possible for you to attach an output_log of this issue? So boot up the game, click around in the menu, then close the game and upload the Output_log.txt that can be found here:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thank you!!  :grin: 

Thanks for answering NCarver! This issue has been reported a lot (I myself created a thread about it a while back) and I know that it's an ongoing fix so I'm glad devs are still responding rather than filing this under "we are aware, please wait until fix'd."

As for RAM, I don't think that's an issue unless 8gigs is somehow too little RAM nowadays? On another thread I even saw someone report the problem who had 16 gigs. Unless you were talking about graphics card RAM, but even then...

I've also seen this reported with a variety of cards, both Nvidia and AMD.

I've noticed that two others in this thread are using a Phenom II X4 processor (as am I). There's at least one post I've seen that doesn't, but maybe there's some commonality there too. Would it help if everyone having this problem started posting their Dxdiag info?

8GB is an excellent amount of memory. I only meant to claim that low specifications can contribute to the issue. Obviously this is not the case for everyone.

As for Dxdiag info? Yes Yes Yes! The more information we can compile on the issue, the more it will help us locate opportunities.

Thank you all for your feedback, please look forward to future updates addressing these issues.  :)

As for Dxdiag info? Yes Yes Yes! The more information we can compile on the issue, the more it will help us locate opportunities.

Great, you guys heard the man! I edited one of my prior posts to include my dxdiag info shortly before you posted this. Let's really get on this, I would very much like to be able to make a new character in less than 15 minutes :p

Please find attached my DxDiag,txt and an output_log.txt. The output_log.txt was created in a session where I clicked some buttons in the character creator, opened some menus in the game and walked around a bit.

---

If have to say you do like the color green ;)

RGBA(0.000, 1.000, 0.000, 1.000) used 38778 times.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Edited by Danvil
  • Like 2