Names/Language: Naming Guidelines

Osvir

Pillars of Eternity Language (Off. Wiki) combined with this in the PoE Character Creation:

dano-mmo-lotro-vol3-bk2-dwarf-creation.j

On the left hand side you can see 1. "Select Origin", and below it 2. "The Lonely", further down in the description (in yellow) "Naming Guidelines". This is something I would like to see in the description box when naming the character.

Furthermore, what do you, members of the community, name your characters?

Some names on characters I've tried more serious/roleplay games with:
- Kragus (Aumaua, Coastal) 
- Rose (Human, Meadow Folk)
- Aengwhyn (Nature Godlike Aumaua)
- Kahlinvjû (Dwarf, Old Valia)

Then I have a lot of characters I have named "Tester" and "Swatter of Bugs" etc. etc. xD

Edited by Osvir

A random name generator based on Race/Sub-Race/Culture would be pretty cool. I just think it would be easier to simply add in a text description a la the "Language" link, rather than a Random Generator Code.

EDIT: Cool, I didn't know :) I would still think that a simple LoTR:O text description is simpler. Text description is a Forum Post (everyone knows how to do it), Random Generator Code is making a Forum Post with lots of formats, BBCode and a nice professional presentation (not everyone knows or spends energy to do it). <- metaphor /EDIT

Naming in Pillars of Eternity, sorted out a bit, I might not be putting it completely right by the way so do a double-check if you wanna use this for your own character creation:

Aedyran Culture

In-game: Who? Aedyr, Dyrwood, Readceras. Meadow Folk. Ocean Folk. Pale Elf, Wood Elf.

- Male names: Aldwyn, Beacwof, Ethelmoer, Furly, Hafmacg, Unfric.

- Female names: Battixa, Bricanta, Esmy, Grimda, Iselmyr, Yngfrith

Vailian Culture

In-game: Who? Old Valia, Valian. Ocean Folk. Meadow Folk. Mountain Dwarf. Boreal Dwarf.
- Male names:  Cendo, Giandele, Liano, Randatu, Verzano.
Female names: Ancelle, Laudira, Malita, Pallegina, Salgiatte

Engwithan and Glanfathan Culture

In-game: Who? Pale Elf, Wood Elf. Hearth Orlan, Wild Orlan.

- Male names: Arthwn, Brân, Enfws, Simoc, Thristwn.

- Female names: Bledha, Iswld, Onŵen, Sîdha, Tamra

And Godlike finally depending on which Race they are (I suppose). They fit everywhere.

Cultures/Sub-Race I don't know where to put in the above list:
- Deadfire Archipelago

- Ixamitl Plains+Savannah Folk

- Rauatai
- The Living Lands
- The White that Wends

Edited by Osvir

This is a very good idea, but I wouldn't hold your breath. OE has far, far bigger fish to fry right now if they think they're going to release in 2014.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Off-topic: Yes I know Marceror. If they notice this they can take notes and save it for later when we get to that stage.

Did you read this on Kotaku? I think the title is a bit misleading and is a poor choice of a "Headline" by Mr Sawyer. He talks about balance, sure, but to me he's more or less telling us how they are working/QA Insights. It gives valuable insight into which stage the beta/game project is in, and what we can expect at a later stage.

EDIT: Let's take this discussion in PM or in another (relevant) thread though, Marceror, if you want to continue :)

Edited by Osvir

One wish I have with this thread is to give some inspiration for Obsidian as well, if they haven't nailed all naming conventions.

What kind of feeling do you get when you see an Aumaua? A Human? What do you name them? If you were to base your own naming inspiration from the Official Language, how would you name your characters? Etc. etc.

Maybe we can even come up with some names that fits this universe :)

A random name generator based on Race/Sub-Race/Culture would be pretty cool. I just think it would be easier to simply add in a text description a la the "Language" link, rather than a Random Generator Code.

Random name generators can be hell. Offering suggestions and examples would be easier for sure. :)

Hafmacg, Enfws, are these seriously names in this? They're just random letters.

I like the language :)

One could debate that Tolkiens elfish is just random letters too. It grows on ya I s'pose if you know/understand the phonetics.

Hm, now that I think about it: There should be an entire separate Wiki page on Eora Language phonetics. That'd help.

Eld Aedyran

Aedyrans, Readcerans, and Dyrwoodans used to speak a language called Eld Aedyran that is an analogue for Old English/Anglo-Saxon, Old Frisian, bits of Icelandic, and Scots (for Hylspeak, a more contemporary version). j, q, v, and z do not appear in their words and names, though the /v/ sound is found in medial and terminal f. E.g. "Wyflan" is pronounced "WEE-vlan". Male names: Aldwyn, Beacwof, Ethelmoer, Furly, Hafmacg, Unfric. Female names: Battixa, Bricanta, Esmy, Grimda, Iselmyr, Yngfrith"

Edited by Osvir

Off-topic: Yes I know Marceror. If they notice this they can take notes and save it for later when we get to that stage.

Did you read this on Kotaku? I think the title is a bit misleading and is a poor choice of a "Headline" by Mr Sawyer. He talks about balance, sure, but to me he's more or less telling us how they are working/QA Insights. It gives valuable insight into which stage the beta/game project is in, and what we can expect at a later stage.

EDIT: Let's take this discussion in PM or in another (relevant) thread though, Marceror, if you want to continue :)

Also off-topic: I did indeed read the article. Very interesting.

I didn't intend my comment to derail or lessen the momentum of your idea. Please keep discussing and fleshing it out. There's always patches and at least 1 expansion on the horizon, where stuff like this has a chance to see the light of day.

A name generator would seem a worthy addition, to help new players create characters that are "lore appropriate".

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Hafmacg, Enfws, are these seriously names in this? They're just random letters.

I like the language :)

One could debate that Tolkiens elfish is just random letters too. It grows on ya I s'pose if you know the phonetics.

Hm, now that I think about it: There should be an entire Wiki page on Eora Language phonetics.

Yeah but having a name be one vowel followed by four consonants is pretty stupid, and I don't think it's possible to pronounce a g right after a c.