Suggestion: Skill List

Shevek

The skill list seems a bit small for a 6 man party. I would suggest doubling the amount of skills so that there is no way to have one character maximize each skill on a given play through.

Some possible additions:

Appraise (vendoring)

Acrobatics (tumble + balance)

Scavenging (getting more loot)

Weird suggestion:

People are saying Perception and Resolve are dump stats... make them skills.

• Like 1

There was an area in which my party had the opportunity to throw a rope across a chasm and then climb across. The two party members with low Athletic skills made is but suffered from varying levels of fatigue afterwords.

Morale of the story: The number of skills is probably sufficient and the players that completely ignore some skills in favor of others are probably going to suffer some form of consequence for the decision. 

Quasi-snarky aside: I think people who are making sweeping generalizations about the overall mechanics of the game based on half a dozen areas and a handful of quests are getting WAY ahead of themselves.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The skill list seems a bit small for a 6 man party. I would suggest doubling the amount of skills so that there is no way to have one character maximize each skill on a given play through.

Some possible additions:

Appraise (vendoring)

Acrobatics (tumble + balance)

Scavenging (getting more loot)

Weird suggestion:

People are saying Perception and Resolve are dump stats... make them skills.

Focusing a character in one skill is doable but seems bad idea.

If you want your characters to keep going, you are going to need to spend some points there. Stealth? At first I thought that my Paladin would never need it. Wrong. If you want to avoid encounters or being able to better position yourself for an ambush, investing some points there helps a lot. Lore seems quite optional compared to the rest but if you invest in it, you get to need less creatures of each type to discover their bestiary stuff. Survival is one of those that can also be nice to have some ranks in it (those food buffs are nice!). The only skill that I don't know what to think about beyond MainCharacter/Rogue is Mechanic.

Maybe we could use some more skills, but so far all of them are to a degree useful for any class.

Revolve is not a dump stat per se. Getting stunlock cannot be good and Will Defense cannot be a bad thing. Perception could be considered unless you like to Interrupt other people (specially those who dumped Resolve?).

Edited by Wintersong

I doubt they would add more skills because of dialogue checks. From my small modding experience 6 stats+5 skills = 11 possible checks, which is already very lot, and Obsi also added Reputations; I've been struggling to make skills from D&D3 meaningful for every possible char in games like NWN.

It is undeniable that 6 chars + 5 skills = you have everything, which sucks, but for now more is probably out of scope of the game and budget.

Edited by Shadenuat