104 members have voted

1. 1. Superweapons: Yes/No/later?

• Bring on the Superweapons
    • Not in PoE but in a higher-level expansion or sequel
    • NO NUKES!

Guest Madolite

Upprading would generally just mean higher numbers that regular weapons, which isn't really all that interesting.

Well, not necessarily. It's something a developer needs to keep in mind to avoid, just like they need to avoid legendaries in general just being boosted versions of more common weapons. There's good and bad ways to do anything in game design, but I definitely agree with your point that it's bad design to overlook it.

Just a unique name and a good story in the description is one thing, but also adding rare effects or outright unique ones that no other weapons can obtain is another. I thought Carsomyr +6 and the 5-headed Flail of Ages were pretty awesome. They were got upgraded versions of those weapons after finding additional unique artifacts (in ToB). The Dark Souls +X weapons however (which you could be referring to), not so much. Definitely a matter of execution, indeed.

Note: I guess I meant "assembled" and "re-assembled" weapons though, technically speaking.

Edited by Madolite

Personally, I might think about heavily restricting all magic items (having most item improvements come from superior craftsmanship and/or materials)... but then have all magic items be awesome. The concept of a `weak enchanted item` is a rather silly one, and one that occurs only in games.

No, it's one that does not occur in serious fiction outside of games, because there generally isn't much storytelling use to them.

No one writes a big story about the enchanting apprentices first work, because a dimly glowing piece of metal that is slightly warm to the touch isn't terribly interesting to write about.

super weap are nice but - they should be usuable only a certain amount of type. 
like a divine bow would be taken back after a while by the angry god 

BUT again you could manipulate the situation in your favor, lie in some way and keep the mighty bow 

as exemple 

magical weapons are a must have. also super great, well hidden (and whatever) legendary weapon(s). as long as it doesnt end like neverwinter nights :D 

personally, i like the idea of crafting. but ive seen to many games where they messed that great idea up....in the end its balancing at which point you get certain stuff. but balancing is also a dangerous sword. i see plenty games today, which are "totally" balanced. and due to that BORING as hell. yu have a choice which isnt a choice because right its balanced. you try to get an different replay feeling... nops its balanced ;) when i remember games of my past the ones with the greatest impressions are the unbalanced ones. you want it hard: you take the all the worst choices in the game, you want it easy: the other way round.

and from my point of view the problem with availability of super extrem stuff "late in the game"  is, that it can lead to a static linear world. ahh nevermind their best titles where always openworld (with all possibilities)....and i loved them for this!

Im for it as long as they are rare. Id actually be down for them to be craftable but u gotta make a choice. Like chrono trigger and the sun stone, u could either make a really good weapon, a good set of armor, or a couple of helms. And that was it because u had to make a choice and could only make the decision once.

now if theres an abundance....no.

Im for it as long as they are rare. Id actually be down for them to be craftable but u gotta make a choice. Like chrono trigger and the sun stone, u could either make a really good weapon, a good set of armor, or a couple of helms. And that was it because u had to make a choice and could only make the decision once.

now if theres an abundance....no.

Nah, crafting a weapon would lose all it's charm then. It's cool when you hunt down parts and find them in strange places, if those parts had a story to how they came to be where they are, even better.

It would be great to be able to discover the history of the weapon you are putting back together (like how it got made in the first place, how it got destroyed/separated, how did the specific parts end up where they are, etx.).

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Okey i whoud like to say my opinion ...

IF there are gonna be POE2, IF the POE2 whoud be continuation of previos story like BG2 was to BG1, and IF we coud imort are character... then:

1. Im for superwepons (real nukes) if, we cant not transfer them to next game (reagardless if this mean no items from previos game, or just the nukes), of IF the superweapons from POE are just a little stronger common weapons in PoE2.

2. Im not for superweapons if we have possibility to get real nuke, that is overpowerd in PoE and PoE2 combained and we can imort them to PoE2.....

Solution:

Let's add possibility do import same "Character" but not the items, let him have some nuke at the end of PoE1 (like sword of Gith) or just block possibility of importing nukes only to another game (just as they done in Mask of Betreyer you cound not imort sword of the gith becous, you coud not import none weapons, only armor, shield etc. And if i recoll there will me no Nuke helmers or boots right ? xD).

No.  This is a low to mid level campaign, our characters should not be packing anything I would call a "super weapon" at mid level.

I think part of this is a bit of a disagreement over what "superweapon" means. I'm all for unique endgame weapons with special powers, but i don't agree with anything that is completely off kilter balancewise, except as a limited use sword of plot advancement.

That kind of thing should, if existing at all, be reserved for "end level" campaigns.

• Like 1

Special weapon, yes, even 'legendary' from a lore-standpoint.

But not superweapon - maybe in PoE2?

Something like 'Mallet's Mallet' -> slightly more damaging than normal hammers but keeps you wide awake so no stun/sleep affects you.

Not 'Thor's Hammer' - strikes for triple damage and casts lightning bolt AOE on enemies while pouring you a cup of mead.

No Crom Feyr or Carsormyr in PoE(1)

Maybe a Mace of disruption (situationally powerful) but not the instakill version - just added crits against undead or something.

Else we get power-creep in PoE(2) and the ultimate sword of death and pancakes becomes 'meh'

• Like 3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

No.  This is a low to mid level campaign, our characters should not be packing anything I would call a "super weapon" at mid level.

I think part of this is a bit of a disagreement over what "superweapon" means. I'm all for unique endgame weapons with special powers, but i don't agree with anything that is completely off kilter balancewise, except as a limited use sword of plot advancement.

That kind of thing should, if existing at all, be reserved for "end level" campaigns.

When someone says "Super Weapon" I think Carosymr or the Silver Sword from Never Winter Nights 2.  We should have no need for those types of weapons in Eternity.  Maybe in Eternity 2, but not part 1.

• Like 2

When someone says "Super Weapon" I think Carosymr or the Silver Sword from Never Winter Nights 2.  We should have no need for those types of weapons in Eternity.  Maybe in Eternity 2, but not part 1.

Agree that there is no need for that powerful weapons in PoE, but they should definitely be in PoE2.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Why ? Let's have superweapons but at the end of campain (las few quests) let's feel powerfull but:

1. Counter it wiht stronger enemys balaced to a new waepon.

2. Did not give ability to transport it to PoE2, in PoE2 let's have difrent superweapons also at the end ...

problem solved xD

Edited by Ulquiorra