No portrait for Ocean Folk?

Every (sub)race should get at least one option per sex. Two per option would be even better. Even if it's a basic frame with a few details changed. Humans shouldn't get the shaft in the namr of Orlans or Aumaua though. A player shouldn't need mods of any kind to get some basic portraits coverage for all the game's offered options. There will be players that may still need more specific stuff but for basic stuff, no outside effort should be done by the player.

Also, why does the female Moon Godlike use a hood when in game that cannot be the case? :p

• Like 2

Every (sub)race should get at least one option per sex. Two per option would be even better. Even if it's a basic frame with a few details changed. Humans shouldn't get the shaft in the namr of Orlans or Aumaua though. A player shouldn't need mods of any kind to get some basic portraits coverage for all the game's offered options. There will be players that may still need more specific stuff but for basic stuff, no outside effort should be done by the player.

Also, why does the female Moon Godlike use a hood when in game that cannot be the case? :p

That leaves the Orlans and Aumauans with very few options just so players won't have to go on the internet and get the extra portraits. In the IE games importing your own portraits was very easy; I don't see why the new races should get such a raw deal. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

That leaves the Orlans and Aumauans with very few options just so players won't have to go on the internet and get the extra portraits. In the IE games importing your own portraits was very easy; I don't see why the new races should get such a raw deal. 

I'm all for ditching dwarves and elves (even better, give everyone either long beards or ear-obscuring hair, so every portrait can function for multiple races), but cutting corners on portraits depicting people of color sends a very wrong message.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Gromnir, maybe I need to define realism or grounded as it relates to fantasy art as to how I view it.

I'm not alluding to a historical or real world sense, but more along the lines of believability in a practical sense.

It's fantasy art. There will be embellishments and artistic license. I have absolutely no problems with that.

What I don't like is the usage of jRPG style mega swords or shoulder pouldrons the size of Zaphod Beeblebrox's second head.

There's elements of bare midriffs, b00bage, and überswordage in Manley and Sweet, but they are tastefully done. But overall, what I like about them, as well as Vance Kovaks, Gary Gianni, or Mark Schultz is that they are each in their own right very good artists -whose artwork I would purchase and display should I be able to afford it.

I'm not necessarily educated enough in art history to be able to hold my own in an art debate in a video game forum, but I know what I like.

PS

I really like Kaz's work.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm all for ditching dwarves and elves (even better, give everyone either long beards or ear-obscuring hair, so every portrait can function for multiple races), but cutting corners on portraits depicting people of color sends a very wrong message.

Obsidian already should of had some dark skinned people by now; that was a mistake. Too bad Obsidian didn't have the good sense to realize not every human portrait had to be white. I'm glad you also want to ditch the elves and dwarves; now just ditch the humans and you're done.

Obsidian should not be in the business of worrying about messages they're sending. They should be doing what's best for the game.

At least we agree on elves and dwarves...

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Yeah. Imagine playing a game where there are no portraits of women because there are a million pictures of women on the internet. That may be true but wouldn't it make female players feel excluded?

in any event, is actually much easier for Gromnir to find very nice asian, black and semitic fantasy art than native american/indian. silly feathers and buckskins is the closest we typical get. usual we gotta go google and get portraits o' red cloud or chief joseph or somesuch, or we break down and find the wes studi dui mug shot... very intimidating.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah. I don't remember the last time I saw fantasy art featuring a South Asian/Indian person either. Important to remember this isn't just about excluding black people. Aren't there supposed to be Mesoamericans in PoE too?

Obsidian should not be in the business of worrying about messages they're sending. They should be doing what's best for the game.

Um if the message they're sending is a racist one yes they should be concerned and they should do what is best for their players.

• Like 2

as an aside, Gromnir's notion o' what we likes to see in visuals is as follows:

web_Rob_Twigger_as_RFB_by_Kim_Ayres.jpg

TM2.jpg

raging-bull-robert-de-niro-1378271105.jp

and 

robroy8.jpg

none o' which is likely to make it into obsidian catalog o' portraits, so we will be content to create our own.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"What's best for the game", IMHO, includes "not taking a giant **** on the head of PoC players", but YMMV.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm 100% certain there will be Ocean Folk portraits in the final game. It would be ridiculous not to. It seems fairly clear to me that Old Vailia is a good deal more than just tokenism.

I also agree that it was a foolish oversight to omit them from the beta, and one that sends the wrong message about the game, and I hope they correct it ASAP.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

So should they remove all non Orlan, Godlike and Aumauans portraits just because you can find human, dwarves and elves in the internet? And create only for the new races? I'm exaggerating, of course. :) But as I said, a player shouldn't be demanded to depend on mods of any kind for basic gameplay. Then, if he really needs/wants to get something extra, give him the means to do so (like an in game portrait import tool).

It sucks for new races? Well, tell Obsidian to remove them from game and use half-orcs and halflings instead. :p People will photoshop/gimp their way into new portraits. Deviant arts will do their job. The expansion pack can add even more portraits. But as far as PoE goes, no matter if you want an Ocean Folk, Pale Elf, Wild Orlan or Fire Godlike, you should get options without the need of importing portraits. If Obsidian can sneak some extra for the new races? Even better.

Edited by Wintersong
  • Like 5

[...]

a player shouldn't be demanded to depend on mods of any kind for basic gameplay.

[...]

as far as PoE goes, no matter if you want an Ocean Folk, Pale Elf, Wild Orlan or Fire Godlike, you should get options without the need of importing portraits.

Very much this.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 5 months later...

They have been adding more portraits as the builds have gone by.  Any Betas can confirm? 

There are now portraits for every race and sub-race except Wild Orlan.

in any event, is actually much easier for Gromnir to find very nice asian, black and semitic fantasy art than native american/indian. silly feathers and buckskins is the closest we typical get. usual we gotta go google and get portraits o' red cloud or chief joseph or somesuch, or we break down and find the wes studi dui mug shot... very intimidating.

HA! Good Fun!

Write up a couple detailed examples of what you'd like to see (complete with a couple reference photos of specific things if you feel they might be beneficial) and I might (can't guarantee I'll ever actually do it) try cooking some up for you.

Edited by Shallow

They have been adding more portraits as the builds have gone by.  Any Betas can confirm? 

I mentioned in another thread, the Wild Orlan portraits are coming and they look sweet. There are also quite a few more Ocean Folk and Savannah Folk being worked on.
  • Like 11

I mentioned in another thread, the Wild Orlan portraits are coming and they look sweet. There are also quite a few more Ocean Folk and Savannah Folk being worked on.

Good, I can't wait to see them!

I think the portraits need tighter art style control.

This. So much this. Honestly, some of the current portraits really should go for the sake of consistency. People that still want them could still get them online or something, but they should be plucked out of the game.

At this time in the development cycle and with already lacking a lot of potential combinations, I doubt it's going to happen, which I think is very unfortunate, but yeah. I've really grown to hate the hodpodge nature of some of the portraits compared to the overall style. They stand out as unfitting and unworthy, and really do look like placeholder material that should've been replaced with actual, "in style" art.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I think they said Kaz was going to do a consistency pass on them. I know one or two portraits got touched up a bit (the current female Orlan one, etc), and Steven Dengler's portrait was completely re-done. I think we have the originals saved somewhere.

Which one is the Steven Dengler portrait?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Both versions look good—I presume the one on the right is the new one?—but stylistically they look pretty much the same. Not much point in altering it.

Those sand-skinned aumauas that look like gnomes are in dire need of help.

• Like 2

Both versions look good—I presume the one on the right is the new one?—but stylistically they look pretty much the same. Not much point in altering it.

Those sand-skinned aumauas that look like gnomes are in dire need of help.

Yeah the one on the right is the new one, though the old one was pretty darn good to begin with.