No portrait for Ocean Folk?

With the exception of the fire godlike option, every single character portrait is lily-white. It's really immersion-breaking to spend half an hour customizing the ingame appearance of an ocean folk human just to find out that there is no character portrait option that's even remotely similar.

Isn't really a priority for the beta, but I sincerely hope there will be bigger diversity in the final game.

the portrait selection is anemic and... odd. there is multiple nature godlike females, but complete absence o' any options for some other race/cultures. as you say, this is a beta, but am also guessing that much as with the ie games, people will prefer their own portraits. iwd and iwd2 were the only ie games that had portraits we liked, and even for those games we frequent used custom.

priority should be to make adding customs ez rather than offering a plethora o' new portraits... save for perhaps the races that is unique to PoE. moon godlike and the fish peoples is gonna be difficult to find appropriate custom portraits.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oh. I must have missed when you mentioned the male part. My bad; guess I'm talking on too many issues at once and am missing stuff. I should be more focused. I've already made my main point here: We need more of the new races; not the old.

No problem. It's a reasonable position, but having lots of white portraits and basically zero representation for people of color is just begging for accusations of racism.

The Wild Orlans are dark skinned so they could make at least 1 dark skinned portrait. At least we have Pallegina..

265px-PalleginaPortrait.jpg?version=4eb6

Love her design BTW.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Are we able to upload protraits now in beta? Because i CANNOT stop making pirate characters no matter the race lmao and i wanna upload a pic of Gol D Rogers for my protrait ;-)

Yes. It's easy to do.

Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player

Match the file name format, file type, and resolution. Basically, you need two PNG files: 210x330 and 76x96.

BTW, I've been looking around for a Photoshop oil painting filter to give photos a painterly look, but so far haven't found anything that looks decent. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

Edited by Flow

With the exception of the fire godlike option, every single character portrait is lily-white. It's really immersion-breaking to spend half an hour customizing the ingame appearance of an ocean folk human just to find out that there is no character portrait option that's even remotely similar.

Isn't really a priority for the beta, but I sincerely hope there will be bigger diversity in the final game.

I'm glad I didn't have to say it. It's expected for a game to have all white portraits with a single token PoC but since they deliberately made a setting with people of different complexions I was kind of hoping for more than "none." It doesn't matter that this is only the beta because that makes it seem like non-white characters are an afterthought. And PoC representation is way more important to me than fuzzy-faced hobbit representation. 

Also I would really like to see the supposedly plentiful black character portraits available on the internet.

• Like 2

Also I would really like to see the supposedly plentiful black character portraits available on the internet.

I have the ultimate portrait pack which has quite a few of them; they are outnumbered 8-to-1, but there are still a decent amount of them. I don't quite know how to post pictures from my own computer though.

The Pallegina pic was from google image. I suspect looking for black character portraits that way would be much less effective than using the ultimate portrait pack.

JEEZ! Just tried to find some on google; it's friggin' impossible! Thank goodness for that portrait pack. Probably best if you go to an IE resource site for more black portraits then the portrait pack has.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I'm glad I didn't have to say it. It's expected for a game to have all white portraits with a single token PoC but since they deliberately made a setting with people of different complexions I was kind of hoping for more than "none." It doesn't matter that this is only the beta because that makes it seem like non-white characters are an afterthought. And PoC representation is way more important to me than fuzzy-faced hobbit representation. 

our current favorite wizard image is via the much maligned wayne reynolds over at pathfinder

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderRPG/PZO1129-Investigator_500.jpeg

http://itsjustsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pathfinder-iconics.jpg

Gromnir is lakota, but o' the 15 base pathfinder iconics in second image, 2 is black. considering 12.6% o' the US population is black, having 2 o' the humans being black seems pretty fair. one gnome is greenish and a dwarf is grey. is no distinct native americans or hispanics but there is two arab/semitic. the jade regent line o' adventures added a few assians to the pathfinder catalog. 

*shrug*

you got it better than does Gromnir. but we still think the investigator looks good, even with all the wayne reynolds hate.

HA! Good Fun!

ps there is non wayne reynolds variations o' the pathfinder iconics

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/MaskedBrute/ScreenShot2013-07-22at15157PM.png

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

itsjustsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pathfinder-iconics.jpg

Throwing up a little inside. I am emphatically hoping Obsidian does not use these iconics as reference art to emulate for their Pathfinder work.

The character art for Eder, Pallegina, Sagani, and the Orlan Detective approach IWD series quality. The in-game portraits are hit or miss for me. Hopefully we'll see more diversity in the upcoming beta builds. Maybe they should have worked in some Valian portraits earlier to include in the initial release beta build.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Are we able to upload protraits now in beta? Because i CANNOT stop making pirate characters no matter the race lmao and i wanna upload a pic of Gol D Rogers for my protrait ;-)

Yes. It's easy to do.

Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player

Match the file name format, file type, and resolution. Basically, you need two PNG files: 210x330 and 76x96.

BTW, I've been looking around for a Photoshop oil painting filter to give photos a painterly look, but so far haven't found anything that looks decent. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

Totally unnecessary. The game understands JPG files just as well, possibly others. The resolution can be higher, and if you're playing on a high-res display, it should be higher or the portraits will be blurry. The only thing that really matters is the aspect ratio - the game will stretch portraits to fit.

we dislike many wayne reynolds iconics, but the investigator is, as we mentioned, our favorite current mage choice for portraits. we also offered the non wayne versions

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk199/MaskedBrute/ScreenShot2013-07-22at15157PM.png

still has horrible barbarian with ridiculous sword, but the hate is over-the-top. sure, we would prefer justin sweet, but those is less available and less class specific.

regardless, the point were that pathfinder were clear attempting to be racial/cultural sensitive, and leferd aside, they is very popular.

HA! Good Fun!

It doesn't matter that this is only the beta because that makes it seem like non-white characters are an afterthought. And PoC representation is way more important to me than fuzzy-faced hobbit representation. 

You're, of course, completely right on both accounts. I apologize.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

we dislike many wayne reynolds iconics, but the investigator is, as we mentioned, our favorite current mage choice for portraits. we also offered the non wayne versions

still has horrible barbarian with ridiculous sword, but the hate is over-the-top. sure, we would prefer justin sweet, but those is less available and less class specific.

regardless, the point were that pathfinder were clear attempting to be racial/cultural sensitive, and leferd aside, they is very popular.

HA! Good Fun!

My art preference is grounded more in practicality and realism. I agree though, of the bunch - the investigator is pretty snazzy.

Tartantyco uploaded BG and IWD series portraits for use with PoE.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67705-icewind-dale-2-portraits-for-pillars-of-eternity/?hl=icewind

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

It doesn't matter that this is only the beta because that makes it seem like non-white characters are an afterthought.

Good point. I wonder why they made so many of the portraits light-skinned? Obsidian isn't the first to do this, but it is weird how often everyone (except for 1 person) is white in everything. 

as an aside, am suspecting we create an ocean-folk human female paladin simply so we can get a portrait using a cropped version o' the following:

picture_skeletons.jpg

leferd may hate it, but it looks nifty to us.

HA! Good Fun!

ps particular for the heavily armoured female portraits from iwd2, "realism" is not the word we would be looking to use.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

druid in shiny plate fighting off undead with a holy sword? no, does not give us a druid vibe.

'course, when we think druid, we immediately think o' 7th year sociology majors at csu humboldt.

ringo-grower.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who gets more of a "druid using Wild Strike" vibe from that portrait instead of "yup, paladin"?

Yes. You are the only one who gets that vibe; in the entire world.

Am I the only one who gets more of a "druid using Wild Strike" vibe from that portrait instead of "yup, paladin"?

She has a shiny sword, druids can make their swords shiny, therefore she's a druid. QED :p

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

She has a shiny sword, druids can make their swords shiny, therefore she's a druid. QED :p

You're wrong. Even if she was a druid; no one anywhere gets a druid vibe from her in the entire galaxy. You are the one and only exception.

as an aside, am suspecting we create an ocean-folk human female paladin simply so we can get a portrait using a cropped version o' the following:

picture_skeletons.jpg

leferd may hate it, but it looks nifty to us.

HA! Good Fun!

ps particular for the heavily armoured female portraits from iwd2, "realism" is not the word we would be looking to use.

I'm fine with this one -b00b plate + laser sword and all. It's a good painting.

Sweet and Manley though are more grounded than some of the other fantasy artists.

I know you're a fan of R.E. Howard. I'm assuming you picked up the Del Rey releases from a few years back? I'll use the illustrations from them as my litmus test as what's over the top or not. I think you'll agree that the art was very good -with strong, yet tasteful fantasy embellishments.

Edited by Leferd

seelah is the name o' the pathfinder paladin iconic. google can help find some nice pics.

PZO9438_500.jpeg

less pronounced b00b armour, and with a halo... much like the priest from leferd's link.

in any event, is actually much easier for Gromnir to find very nice asian, black and semitic fantasy art than native american/indian. silly feathers and buckskins is the closest we typical get. usual we gotta go google and get portraits o' red cloud or chief joseph or somesuch, or we break down and find the wes studi dui mug shot... very intimidating.

HA! Good Fun!

You're wrong. Even if she was a druid; no one anywhere gets a druid vibe from her in the entire galaxy. You are the one and only exception.

Druids, too can enjoy the fruits of civilization like shiny plate armor and cool swords, y'know :p

Yes. It's easy to do.

Totally unnecessary. The game understands JPG files just as well, possibly others. The resolution can be higher, and if you're playing on a high-res display, it should be higher or the portraits will be blurry. The only thing that really matters is the aspect ratio - the game will stretch portraits to fit.

Good to know, thanks.

Not a fan of stretching, though. Crop is your friend.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=683725&stc=1&d=1243609845

we liked jason manley not necessarily 'cause o' realism but 'cause o' more reserved and impressionistic approach. iwd paladin/knight with enormous and unweildable sword weren't realistic, but it were evocative.

Art-of-Justin-Sweet-fantasy-art-8361587-

am not even gonna get started on sweet's realism, but that don't mean we disliked. fantastic use o' color and no ridiculous cheese-eating grins such as were typical in bg2 portraits.

realism ain't a huge factor for us in the portraits... didn't seem that manley or sweet were over-concerned with realism either.

HA! Good Fun!

Druids, too can enjoy the fruits of civilization like shiny plate armor and cool swords, y'know :p

Doesn't matter. In all realms and worlds of all reality; you alone get a druid vibe from her. Only you.

Doesn't matter. In all realms and worlds of all reality; you alone get a druid vibe from her. Only you.

YAY I'M SPECIAL

• Like 1