No portrait for Ocean Folk?

With the exception of the fire godlike option, every single character portrait is lily-white. It's really immersion-breaking to spend half an hour customizing the ingame appearance of an ocean folk human just to find out that there is no character portrait option that's even remotely similar.

Isn't really a priority for the beta, but I sincerely hope there will be bigger diversity in the final game.

• Like 8

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

With the exception of the fire godlike option, every single character portrait is lily-white. It's really immersion-breaking to spend half an hour customizing the ingame appearance of an ocean folk human just to find out that there is no character portrait option that's even remotely similar.

Isn't really a priority for the beta, but I sincerely hope there will be bigger diversity in the final game.

Had the same issue. Went with a godlike Orlan instead. Not really something Obsidian should worry about though. Remember; you can import portraits from the internet. Plenty of black character portraits you could use. The new races in poe however; there aren't many of those floating around the internet. So as I have said before:

Obsidian, focus on the new races. We don't really need more human, elf, or dwarf pictures. The internet has already provided those. We need Godlike, Orlans, and Aumaua!

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'd rather the game have portraits for all the available playable combinations rather than have to download something that would most likely not fit the aesthetics of the game.

First off; that's impossible. There are too many combinations of race/sub-race/gender to do. They would need waaay more protraits than they are going to add.

Secondly, the art style is already extremely inconsistent; have you seen the female Aumaua? Compare that to the male Dwarf.  The portraits from the IE games and fan portraits in those style are more than close enough since poe has absolutely no consistency at all.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I'd rather the game have portraits for all the available playable combinations rather than have to download something that would most likely not fit the aesthetics of the game.

First off; that's impossible. There are too many combinations of race/sub-race/gender to do. They would need waaay more protraits than they are going to add.

Secondly, the art style is already extremely inconsistent; have you seen the female Aumaua? Compare that to the male Dwarf.  The portraits from the IE games and fan portraits in those style are more than close enough since poe has absolutely no consistency at all.

How so? If you don't count godlike, its 4 or 6 per race. Male and female for each subrace. Thats perfectly duable. If you DO count godlike, well, yeah, 4 different godlikes with 6 different body types for male and female. However, each of godlike types does have exact same faces so they could just add few portraits to different godlike types instead of having portrait for all body types.

• Like 2

Aren't we supposed to be able to upload profile pictures for characters in the final product?

If that's the case every one of my squad members is gonna be the Fonz, ijs.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Aren't we supposed to be able to upload profile pictures for characters in the final product?

Yes you can. That is why I have suggested that Obsidian focus one the new races since their portraits can't be found on the internet.

How so? If you don't count godlike, its 4 or 6 per race. Male and female for each subrace. Thats perfectly duable. If you DO count godlike, well, yeah, 4 different godlikes with 6 different body types for male and female. However, each of godlike types does have exact same faces so they could just add few portraits to different godlike types instead of having portrait for all body types.

That is a lot of portraits to waste for portraits of races we already have access to 1000's of. Better make female human portrait number 2382 rather than female Aumaua number 3 right? 

If Obsidian has any sense at all they will focus on the new races.

• Like 1

That is a lot of portraits to waste for portraits of races we already have access to 1000's of. Better make female human portrait number 2382 rather than female Aumaua number 3 right? 

If Obsidian has any sense at all they will focus on the new races.

That wasn't my point, my point was "How is it impossible to provide one or two portraits for all combinations"? Even taking in Godlikes, its not THAT much. I mean, yeah, 48 if each combination has one portrait, but thats not impossible, thats just more than all other portraits combined, which would make sense since godlikes include all other races.

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 1

That wasn't my point, my point was "How is it impossible to provide one or two portraits for all combinations"? Even taking in Godlikes, its not THAT much.

One portrait per sub-race/gender?... I guess that's doable. Though a terrible waste.

Edited by Namutree

That wasn't my point, my point was "How is it impossible to provide one or two portraits for all combinations"? Even taking in Godlikes, its not THAT much.

One portrait per sub-race/gender?... I guess that's doable. Though a terrible waste.

Oh please. There are what, 6-8 different portraits for meadow folk human males or so? Now that's a waste (assuming there are still subrace-gender combinations with no corresponding portraits).

• Like 7

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Oh please. There are what, 6-8 different portraits for meadow folk human males or so? Now that's a waste (assuming there are still subrace-gender combinations with no corresponding portraits).

Many of them are altered versions of the same portrait or portraits used in game.

Edited by Namutree

Many of them are altered versions of the same portrait or portraits used in game.

"Many" meaning "exactly two" in this case.

Five I think... I think the first one is a guy in the beginning. I'm know the human female portraits are a character from the beginning. Also there were three versions of the female Meadow Human, and one of the male meadow humans I'm pretty sure I saw in the beginning as well.

no portrait for pale elves. no point in discussing this before all the portraits have been added. And then there is no point in discussing it, because all the portraits have been added.

We really just have to hope that they plan to make several portraits for all the different races, and then hope that they are good. I think both will come true. Otherwise; import!

no portrait for pale elves. no point in discussing this before all the portraits have been added. And then there is no point in discussing it, because all the portraits have been added.

We really just have to hope that they plan to make several portraits for all the different races, and then hope that they are good. I think both will come true. Otherwise; import!

I'm fairly certain that every portrait we get of a human, elf, or dwarf which we already have access to 1000's of; we miss out on a portrait of an Orlan, Aumaua, and Godlike. 

"Many" meaning "exactly two" in this case.

Five I think... I think the first one is a guy in the beginning. I'm know the human female portraits are a character from the beginning. Also there were three versions of the female Meadow Human, and one of the male meadow humans I'm pretty sure I saw in the beginning as well.

Except the description of the guy in the beginning (red hair, thick mustache) has nothing to do with his portrait, leading us to the conclusion that it's not his portrait, but a placeholder. The female portraits are irrelevant, given the fact that I was talking about male portraits exclusively. That leaves us with the two portraits who are BBWizard with slight alterations.

Except the description of the guy in the beginning (red hair, thick mustache) has nothing to do with his portrait, leading us to the conclusion that it's not his portrait, but a placeholder. The female portraits are irrelevant, given the fact that I was talking about male portraits exclusively. That leaves us with the two portraits who are BBWizard with slight alterations.

Oh. I must have missed when you mentioned the male part. My bad; guess I'm talking on too many issues at once and am missing stuff. I should be more focused. I've already made my main point here: We need more of the new races; not the old.

Going by the Kickstarter page, I can count that there will be at least 12 custom backer portraits if everyone sent in their picture. 

I also hope they'll let us use portraits that companions and/or special NPCs in the world use, just to make the variety better.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Oh. I must have missed when you mentioned the male part. My bad; guess I'm talking on too many issues at once and am missing stuff. I should be more focused. I've already made my main point here: We need more of the new races; not the old.

No problem. It's a reasonable position, but having lots of white portraits and basically zero representation for people of color is just begging for accusations of racism.