Request: Pause when Character 'turn' starts

vril

So all in all, sure they could make a "on action done" auto pause, but unless they make it "per character" (ie: I don't need to pause on my rogue actions, but the other characters are important), it's totally unpractical.

Maybe it can even be per action? For instance, if you hold ctrl while clicking on the target, it'll auto-pause once the action is finished.

Maybe a mix of both, or heck, even a full auto-pause setting PER character instead of globally (ala character scripts we had in BG series) that you can change on the fly. For example, when fighting random mobs, you don't really need the precise auto-pause but when you're fighting dangerous caster mobs, you might want very finely detailed auto-pause and whatnot.

Overall, still makes the game twitchier than usual, bit like a DOTA game really (all animation based I think as well).

Yeah, the more the better. There can be a set of global options, plus a small per-character switch next to a character portrait, and an action modifier key. They clearly wanted to bring turn-based complexity into an RT game, and there's obviously no chance it can be converted to TB at this stage, so smart auto-pause might be the only solution. It might even become a standard for tactical games that don't want full TB mode.

Agree with the others about Divinity:OS btw; TB combat works really well there.

Edited by Rumpelstilskin

Turn-based Pillars of Eternity.

I would have preferred this as I preferred combat in Temple of Elemental Evil to Infinity engine games but I think that ship has sailed a long time ago.

ToEE combat is the best turn based rpg combat ever

I shared this opinion for the longest time, until I played D:OS.

Pillars of Divinity?...

Not to go off topic but I initially had this opinion during the first 10 hours of play D:OS but each combat encounter becomes this canned rock paper scissors with elements, ie: evil fire elementals conveniently standing next to a barrel of water.

• Like 1

You could always just set up auto pause every so many seconds.  I am pretty confident slow mow, plus a pause every 3 seconds should be more than enough to cover it.

The difficulty there is figuring out just what, if anything, I need to do when it pauses.  Better combat feedback would help, yes, but "Autopause: spell cast/ability used" or whatever coming up in the log while it selects the character that needs something new to do would, I imagine, significantly speed up combat (and help keep combat fun rather than a chore) as compared to manually checking every character every three seconds.

You could always just set up auto pause every so many seconds.  I am pretty confident slow mow, plus a pause every 3 seconds should be more than enough to cover it.

Not really the same thing.  I don't recall if this was available in all the original Infinity engine games but it is available in BG Enhanced Editions and is very useful.

Right now, combat is a mess for me. I have zero idea when my characters are ready to do 'new' stuff or sometimes when they used an ability.

look at the UI elements above their heads, I think if the circle is empty he's ready to go (at least that much I gathered from seeing how combat plays out)

I've also noticed a yellow bar (under the green dots beside that circle - the dots indicate your stamina) that rapidly diminishes. I assumed this indicated when the character was ready to act again.