Muscle Wizard

Monk is the next class I'm going to try out and see for myself

I wish they would have let us build a whole party atonce in this beta. I'm really getting tired of BB_Everyone.

Can't you hire an entire party from the tavern? Or is it prohibitively expensive to do so?

I wish they would have let us build a whole party atonce in this beta. I'm really getting tired of BB_Everyone.

Can't you hire an entire party from the tavern? Or is it prohibitively expensive to do so?

You cant hire more than one guy from the tavern, its a bug.

it's expensive for level 4 adventurers (which doesn't get your level 3 spells, and a few abilities) and it requires time to play the game and acquire the $.  Or you can roll another character and get level 5.

Nope. It's not unbalanced. It's the opposite. It's exactly balanced. I'm getting precisely the same results with my Muscle Rogue. Only instead of standing on the front lines and killing things with colored lights, I'm standing on the front lines and killing things with a giant Pike.

The more I play this demo the more I'm realizing 2 things:

1) It's not as difficult as it initially felt

2) The classes are a smoke screen and the game would have been better off without them.

I believe Josh prefers classless systems actually. Perhaps P:E would have been a better game -- as in more elegant, with more freedom for character development -- without classes, but that would have taken it pretty far from its IE roots. 

As it is, the classes are most definitely not a smokescreen. Rogues do point debuff and point damage. Wizards do area damage and limited area debuff. Rogues can only do it properly in melee, wizards can do it either from the front or the back, depending on how you build and equip them. You can't build an area damage/debuff rogue, and if you only use a wizard's point damage/debuff spells you're gimping yourself. Not the same.

(And I'm not getting into a 10-page argument about this. I quite like you, Stun, but sometimes you're insufferable about this kind of stuff.)

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Obsidian screwed themselves over by removing equipment requirements.

The game has leather armor, but it is completely useless. There is no reason to use it because every class can just use full plate armor

Full plate doubles your casting time from six to twelve seconds. Leather increases it from six to eight. Four seconds is a loooong time in melee.

(I think they ought to adjust the numbers to make the difference even bigger though.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Uh no. What about equipment requirements? What about roles like rogues? And so on.

There is none of that in PoE. There is no diversity.

So in your world, "being forced to conform to a strict class template" equals "diversity." Gotcha, glad we got that cleared up.

• Like 3

It's pretty darn expensive. But even if I had the money, I'm not quite sure how to dismiss my current party members so that I could hire 5 new characters.

I am having an absolute blast playing him. He stands in the front line completely unfazed, dealing elemental death in wide arcs ahead. With BB Cleric's defensive buffs, he is freakin' terrifying. Clearly the best character so far.

Try it. It's fun.

Welcome to the club. :)

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Obsidian screwed themselves over by removing equipment requirements.

The game has leather armor, but it is completely useless. There is no reason to use it because every class can just use full plate armor.

Wait, interview I read stated that armor choice is supposed to be faster attacking vs better defense, is that not in the game yet?

It is in game, and you can definitely tell the difference.  Also remember a "fine" leather armor will have close to the same DT as a chain mail or breastplate.... but have like half the speed penalty.

Moar on my muscle wizard. I think I almost finished the beta with it; "almost" possibly because of a choice I made in the spiderdungeon quest, or a bug, don't know which.

I am now quite convinced that at least the INT AoE adjustment needs to be much more dramatic. I dumped INT, but my fireballs and cone effects still cover enough ground to be as effective in practice as BB Wizard's bigger areas. I would not find it objectionable if an INT 3 wizard's fireball was only a little bigger than a point effect, say big enough to hit one target plus anyone engaged in melee with him, while an INT 18 wiz's fireball about as big as it is now, or perhaps just a little bigger.

• Like 2

Muscle wizard is a dumb term, since it assumes that might requires muscle, when it bascially all comes down to soul power. I associate it more with something like in Dragon Ball, where a little child can have more strength than a giant, because of inner chi, or whatever. Of course, as long as it isn't clarified by the lore, everyone can make their own assumptions about that. 

PrimeJunta, if you're not familiar with Major Armstrong from the Fullmetal Alchemist series, you should look him up. He's the best embodiment of a "muscle wizard" who "casts with his muscles" that I've ever seen in a fictional universe. It's kind of hilarious.

• Like 3

Gotta disagree with you here. Attributes and gear can apply to both the Fighter and the Rogue - but the Fighter will ALWAYS have higher accuracy/health/stamina. That's the difference. Yeah, they can have the same bonuses - but don't underestimate the differences those base values will make. I think OE has actually struck a really nice balance with the classes. You can do unconventional things (like have a frontline wizard)... but there are still major differences between the classes that set them apart.

Well, I'm just going by gameplay experience. I'm looking at BB Fighter's Accuracy score and yes, it's lower than my Rogues's, but when I've got both of them meleeing on the front lines, I'm not noticing any difference.

Any number crunchers out there? Can someone tell me exactly how significant a 7 point accuracy score difference is in this game? Because that's what it is between my Rogue's and BB Fighter's.

Here's the maths: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67761-dps-vs-accuracy-deflection-heres-the-maths-enjoy/?p=1490531

Your 7 points in Accuracy is worth 7-9% dps, or about 4 points of MIG.

Quick correction - due to a math error someone pointed out in that linked thread, that 7-9% is actually worth about 6-7 points of MIG. Seems unintuitive, but because the MIG and Accuracy dps modifiers are multiplied, the value of a marginal increase in one (Accuracy or MIG) is actually dependent on the current value of the other. See the thread for more details.

Anyway, just wanted to correct that. Carry on, all.

Suit yourself. My muscle wizard casts with his muscles.

The question is: Can he suit himself?

Per se, I don't have a problem with having might (=soul power) rather than strength as an attribute. What I'm not quite sure about is what this means for attribute based checks. If an attribute check for moving a heavy boulder comes up, which attribute is going to be checked?