What Happened To the Idiot Dialogue?

Stun

Back during the Kickstarter, in one of the Updates that Tim Cain did, he said that if you build a low Intellect character, they wouldn't talk properly. They'd get Idiot-speak Dialog like in ToEE and the Fallout Games.

I wanted to see it, so I just rolled up a Rogue and dumped his Intellect to 3. Well, nothing changed. My rogue talks just as eloquently as my last character, who had 18 intellect.

So have you guys scrapped the idea outright? Or just for this beta?

• Like 4

People have been complaining about the lack of this over at the RPGCodex as well. I'm not actually sure if it ever got implemented.

A LOT of the stuff that Tim Cain talked about in his Kickstarter videos didn't make it into the game - such as his idea what the non-combat skills system would be.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Keep in mind this IS the Beta, and somehow I doubt Sawyer was like "ok guys it's REALLY important we've got all the low INT dialog options cleaned up and ready for this first glimpse at our gameplay." But hey we'll see, maybe one of the devs'll swing by and say if the idea was scrapped or not.

• Like 4

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I don't believe that's how the writing works. 

The way their dialogue system works I'm going to guess that it's not implemented/ was cut, because you can see all of the dialogue options greyed out.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

I don't believe that's how the writing works. 

The way their dialogue system works I'm going to guess that it's not implemented/ was cut, because you can see all of the dialogue options greyed out.

I mean, haven't they stated that the writing is essentially finalized except for some editing and the VO? Could have sworn I read that somewhere.

• Like 1

They've said the part you're playing in the beta isn't part of the main story, so it might be just for the beta that they've done this. At least that's what I hope, but writing different dialogue for the whole game for a less intelligent character might just be too much work.

• Like 2

I'd expect that stupidifying the dialog would be more or less like localizing the game. If could easily be added at the very end.

I'm hoping this is the case. I really like seeing dumb-speak. It's funny and has deceptively high immersion and atmosphere value in the games its in. Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

I feel like the put too much work into the combat aspects of the game, with skills, abilities and what not. Would've been much more interesting if the skills/attributes had a huge impact on conversation.

I'm not sure that I'm following you. While I agree that Obsidian seems to have put more focus on combat when it comes to balancing attributes, the dialogues are almost overflowing with attribute and skill prompts.

I'm all for low Int dialogue, but I am more interested in seeing race/gender/class reactivity. Despite the lore, nobody seems to bat an eyelid at the Godlike...

• Like 1

I rewatched all of the Tim Cain Kickstarter videos last night, and I was wondering about this. It seems like a lot of his early ideas made it in, but certainly not all.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I feel like the put too much work into the combat aspects of the game, with skills, abilities and what not. Would've been much more interesting if the skills/attributes had a huge impact on conversation.

Still it feels lacking.

Still it feels lacking.

I feel like it is overwhelming compared to D&D/IE games while being less quality. Maybe it will be ironed out in the retail. To me IE games has the best combat system in any cRPG to date; I don't understand why they would try to change that with the motivation "all classes should be fun to play" (it is a party based goddamit!).

Edited by AdaMusic

Still it feels lacking.

I feel like it is overwhelming compared to D&D/IE games while being less quality. Maybe it will be ironed out in the retail. To me IE games has the best combat system in any cRPG to date; I don't understand why they would try to change that with the motivation "all classes should be fun to play" (it is a party based goddamit!).

I complitely agree with you. 

But I think this is a little bit offtopic.

• Like 1

Eh, considering the minimum attribute score was 8 (7 with racial penalty) until shortly before the Beta, I'm not surprised "Idiot Speak" didn't make it in, or was perhaps never (seriously) considered.

In fact, considering most of the game has been built with the expectation of no stats below 7, non-gated dialog options at least consider you somewhat competent at all the various attributes. Currently, I believe for dialogues, there's no difference between a 3 and an 8, while above this value (or perhaps at 10+? not sure.) you'll start to see dialog options opening up. I'd argue for upping the minimum attribute score back to 8~ish for the final release, if only to avoid such 'immersion breakers' and non-combat dump-stat behavior.

I'm really not expecting them to start writing Completely Incompetent dialog options all over the place at this stage of development. (Because why stop at Intellect?)

Another point to consider is that the relevant attribute we're talking about is "Intellect", not "Intelligence", and while related, I think their definitions can be interpreted differently enough - You could be a complete non-intellectual without being an idiot.

Edited by Ark Evensong

I really hope they don't waste there time doing that.  From what I seen of it in Arcanum and fallout, they never write idiot dialogue in a realistic manner, and NPCs reactions to said idiot dialogue is rediculous.   It's interesting how most of the good NPCs in these games end up turning into аssholes just because you're playing an idiot.

Edited by bonarbill

Another point to consider is that the relevant attribute we're talking about is "Intellect", not "Intelligence", and while related, I think their definitions can be interpreted differently enough - You could be a complete non-intellectual without being an idiot.

That's a good point.

But I'll also point out that low intellect (or even low intelligence) also doesn't mean that your character is incompetent. An Idiot can still be a very persuasive speaker.

An example from ToEE was when your character put points in the speaking skills but had 5 intelligence.

NPC: "I'm afraid I cannot tell you where the prisoners are."

You: "You talk or me smash face!"

NPC: "Ok Ok! I'll tell you. Don't hurt me. Go down the hall and make a left. Use the stairs. Then make another left. Here I'll mark it on your Map!"

Edited by Stun

People have been complaining about the lack of this over at the RPGCodex as well. I'm not actually sure if it ever got implemented.

A LOT of the stuff that Tim Cain talked about in his Kickstarter videos didn't make it into the game - such as his idea what the non-combat skills system would be.

The Skill system in the first place is really the non-combat skills that he talked about, the Talents system as far as I can see is all combat based.

• Like 1