The music! Good or no?

Starwars

It's not really strange Sensuki, how much playtime do you have for the beta now? And that's hearing the same, what, three or four tracks over and over.

My opinion hasn't changed much, except that I think I like the wilderness music more than before. I think the tracks all work really well for what they're for and I like that they're fairly low-key and in the background.

The exception for me is still the combat track which I think is more overbearing and feels more repetitive than anything else.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I turned the combat music off in v278, I currently have 70 hours or something in-game time ? I probably disabled the music after about 20-30 hours. Hiro Protagonist II has 80 :p

I still think that the main theme and the inn guitar theme are pretty good but the others are meh, especially the combat track - although it does have an okay beginning.

Edited by Sensuki

I have not completed all the content because the performance in the Dyrford Ruins and Lle A Rhemen puts me off entering those areas (I'm very sensitive to poor performance / low FPS). The developers said about 4 hours, although I could imagine that some backers can do all of the content in 2-3 hours.

Edited by Sensuki

You guys are more patient than me. I have 7 hours in the game and turned the music off at no more than the 3rd hour :lol: but that was only because of the battle music. It's distracting me, I don't know really why. The rest of the music is top notch so far, and I say this as someone who is quite specific about thematic and historically correct music, up to the point that I've researched playlists of original period music for playing different states and during different time periods in Europa Universalis IV :)

On the other hand, I could listen to this during battle at least one day before I get fed up (I know because I have):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVVSJKod-I

• Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

On the other hand, I could listen to this during battle at least one day before I get fed up (I know because I have):

Really? I found this to be one of the most annoying battle music tracks in the BG series. Or actually games. After the second battle with this piece i turned of the music until I was out of the dungeon...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Really? I found this to be one of the most annoying battle music tracks in the BG series. Or actually games. After the second battle with this piece i turned of the music until I was out of the dungeon...

Frankly so did I while I was playing it years ago. I find my taste has changed now though. :)

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I was just looking at the pre-order tiers on the STEAM page and the details of the downloadable soundtrack:

"This soundtrack contains many of the game's music tracks performed by a live orchestra. Contains at least 17 tracks in MP3 and FLAC format."

So it appears that there will be at least some tracks performed by an orchestra.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Gotta love BGII combat music.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think nostalgia speaks regarding a lot of music of older games. Associating the music with a very positive gaming experience.

Not to say that the soundtracks were bad by any means of course. But there's a lot of good soundtracks today as well (The Banner Saga as an example is better than most gaming soundtracks I've ever heard), and, if they had been released back in the day for "insert your favorite game here", they would've been as well thought of as anything.

While I'm not a fan of the backer beta combat music (though, like I've said before in this thread, I tend to not like most combat music), I think a few years from now we'll see if the PoE music stands out. It has a much more difficult job than the IE games music because the expectations are waaaaaay high now and people will view it with very critical eyes whereas the soundtracks back in the IE days struck most people by surprise.

In wonder how all those old games got such an amazing music. Did they put so much money on it, or is it that artists did a job of their lives, or it was pure coincidence ? Not many games nowadays have such damn strong soundtracks.

I agree and it's one of the reasons I turned down two different games last summer.   If you can't agree with the directors on how the music will go then the project isn't going to have great music.  Basically the directors don't have the proper vision for there project and aren't willing to work wtih a composer on how the music should convey a mood psychologically, well....

it's a bumpy ride^_- Listening to something then going oh that's fine we will use that isn't good enough.

Most composers on the internet don't even know enough about music, they have computer, they have samples, and they think they can compose and orchestrate.   On the Positive side at least they try and are willing to want to do that.   All these games want to sound like Connan Barbarian Sound track anywayz for RPG sound tracks.

The Witcher 3 has great music, Huge Orchestral Arrangements!  Great Music directing too(Very important)  But that trailer music, the thematic device was to repitive.

I went back to composing classical piano music myself, a style that seems lost now. 

The Bottom line is some can do it some can not.   But music is something that is part of everyone.

Edited by StrangeCat

In wonder how all those old games got such an amazing music. Did they put so much money on it, or is it that artists did a job of their lives, or it was pure coincidence ? Not many games nowadays have such damn strong soundtracks.

I disagree, there are many "modern" games with very good music / songs, at the level of BG1/2 or more. Both the HOM&M and Elder Scrolls Sagas come immediately to my mind, but even the new Dragon Age: Inquisition has some amazing songs. (or if you want other style, Metal Gear: Revengance)

The thing that is rare -even in movies- are soundtracks with identity: those that every song, being of tension, action, love or whatever are still is a part of a whole style that fits and complements the feeling of the scene and the theme of the movie/game. (Planescape: T. , Assasins Creed 2, Deus Ex & HR ) Those... are truly rare masterpieces. (in movies examples would be LOTR, Star Wars)

Edited by Naurgalen
  • Like 1

I think the music was still slightly bugged (in the last backer beta, it only plays sometimes) but you can hear it in some areas. But the volume is still so low it's hard to get a sense of anything.

I wonder how much of the soundtrack will be with live performers.

The main theme has really been growing on me. I actually caught myself humming/whistling it audibly at work.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I disagree, there are many "modern" games with very good music / songs, at the level of BG1/2 or more. Both the HOM&M and Elder Scrolls Sagas come immediately to my mind, but even the new Dragon Age: Inquisition has some amazing songs. (or if you want other style, Metal Gear: Revengance)

The thing that is rare -even in movies- are soundtracks with identity: those that every song, being of tension, action, love or whatever are still is a part of a whole style that fits and complements the feeling of the scene and the theme of the movie/game. (Planescape: T. , Assasins Creed 2, Deus Ex & HR ) Those... are truly rare masterpieces. (in movies examples would be LOTR, Star Wars)

that's your personal opinion.   And I am glad you have it.  People take music for granted.   rare masterpieces that cracked up!

The main theme has really been growing on me.

That's because the music's played by FUNGUS! 6_u

What else would it be, if not our personal opinion ? :d

Technically, it's our public opinion, now that it's posted. :)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u