The music! Good or no?

Starwars

How do you feel about the music so far?

I'm quite enjoying how we hear the music in the game, at least the ambient ones. The title screen music is also good.

Not a fan of the combat music though as it gets really repetitive in my opinion. I think it's the rythm of it especially that kinda gets a bit annoying. Also, choirs when fighting beetles... :(

• Like 6

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Let's just say I played my last session with iTunes running in the background. The music in-game isn't bad but it isn't anything spectacular either. Just generic fantasy tunes that are a long way from gems like the BG2 soundtrack.

• Like 6

There is a road that I must travel
Let it be paved or unseen
May I be hindered by a thousand stones
Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees.

I like the main theme, but I'm not massive on any of the other tracks.

The Wilderness Music is Elder Scrollsy. I don't like the Elder Scrolls music. The combat tracks are kinda Michael Hoenig BG1 which is okay, but they're not as impractful. I would say I'm indifferent to those bordering on meh.

The classical guitar track in the tavern is nice though. The BG games had over the top tavern music, which actually really suited some of the Inns though - such as the Jovial Juggler.

This is only some of the music though, I'm hoping that there's some better tracks in the full game.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I also really enjoyed the classical guitar in the Inn, set the tone nicely for a small-town inn. Good choice. I hope there's more upbeat music for the more rowdy taverns in the big cities.

Personally I like the more subdued atmospheric music. Epicness is alright but I dunno, I don't want it shoved down my throat all the time.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's certainly tugging at my heart strings! I like its somber atmosphere, mostly in minor. And the combat music (although slightly repetitive and brazen/loud) is pretty great, choirs and all. I get Storm of the Zehir, some MotB , as well as a little F:NV, when listening to it, which is just music to my ears. 8)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Just because we don't like the more subdued music that means we like more epic music.

Part of the issue for me is the production and mixing itself. The IE games often placed the melody instrument forward in the mix and the rest in the back. I found this really enjoyable.

You remember the flute from the Kuldahar theme, but do you even remember that it had a classical background? Probably not.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

I'm quite neutral towards the music - it's not spectacular but does the job well enough.

I just hope they revise the battle music since it's a bit repetitive. The best battle tracks progress and intensify as the battle gets longer, giving a real sense of grandeur to the larger battles. It also alleviates repetition.

• Like 1

It is okay. The pub music is boring though.

The opening theme song sounds a lot like a tune from Indiana Jones (I do not mean the main theme song of the movies).

• Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

i did no liked the music, i confess. maybe is just me, but i find it very generic and boring. nothing spectacular when compared with divinity or the witcher for example.. it is the only aspect of the game that i did not liked.

• Like 1

I'm quite fond of all of it so far. The music in the inn really blows me away, the rest of it is objectively good. I'd have a hard time saying that it will stick with me forever, but it's good, and feels right. The title screen track is pretty and I think will stick with me.

It's k.

/thread

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Just because we don't like the more subdued music that means we like more epic music.

Part of the issue for me is the production and mixing itself. The IE games often placed the melody instrument forward in the mix and the rest in the back. I found this really enjoyable.

You remember the flute from the Kuldahar theme, but do you even remember that it had a classical background? Probably not.

I don't know. While I certainly couldn't say that the IE music was bad, the truth is that a lot of the tracks melodies', nice though they may be, got really old in my head after spending some time in whatever areas (right now, some of the wilderness music from BG1 mostly comes to mind). Melody is fine and well but I think it needs to be used carefully in a medium like games.

Then again, it is definitely how you use it. Torment's music feature a theme that is prominent through almost all the tracks in the game, yet they didn't stand out as being repetetive to me. Guess it depends on how you write the theme really and how you work it into the music. 

I feel like the music is very "average". There are no tunes that I will remember but the good aspect is that there are no tunes that irritates me. I guess they are "OK" in the music department. I don't really care if they change the music or not, as I will probably just launch BG, Elder Scrolls or IWD music while playing instead.

• Like 2

I don't know. While I certainly couldn't say that the IE music was bad, the truth is that a lot of the tracks melodies', nice though they may be, got really old in my head after spending some time in whatever areas (right now, some of the wilderness music from BG1 mostly comes to mind).

Which games?

In the IE games, the music tracks would reset to the beginning of the track after saving the game and some weird instances like that.

If you didn't screw up the native way they played, there would be a track, it would play, and then a long silence.

Some areas (such as Taverns) had looping music which could get a bit much.

My favourite BG1 tracks:

Exploring the Plains, Night on the Plains, Temple of Helm, Beregost Night, Cloakwood Forest, Night in Cloakwood, Streets of the City, Night Falls on Baldur's Gate and The Lady's House

Favourite IWD Tracks:

Easthaven, Hrothgar's Home, Temple of Tempus, The Lost Caravan, Kuldahar Theme, Arundel's Home

Edited by Sensuki

I don't believe I'm alone in this, but Jeremy Soule's music has progressively changed in sound over the course of his career as a game composer. I think as he's gone on he's just become more boring, but that could also be that the "norm" of music composition has also become a bit more boring.

Jeremy Soule did the Icewind Dale music in a similar presentation style to Baldur's Gate 1. The most different of the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate soundtracks is probably Inon Zur's Icewind Dale 2 soundtrack which is much more choral than all of them, he doesn't really follow the formula set by Michael Hoenig/Jeremy Soule.

The IMDB Credits also have Jim Soule (Jeremy's Brother) listed as a composer, so it is possible that he also influenced the style of the IWD music.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Icewind Dale is probably the most atmospheric game of all the IE games. The music fits so well with the areas you're in, and it's all very rich and organic. Just listen to the Kuldahar theme, or the Easthaven in Peace theme.

And compared to the IE games themes, Pillars of Eternity has quite a way to go.

Baldur's Gate Theme

Baldur's Gate 2 Theme

Icewind Dale Theme

And then there's the most divine of IE games music, The Lady's House.

• Like 5

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Morrowind had a very nice soundtrack. Rest of the series not so much.

What we've heard so far is "okay". I like the main theme, thought I already forgot it. Neverwinter nights 2 had a very memorable one. I really like that sort of stuff.  Battle music is good, but I'm still not sure if its "fitting". It does sound like a tune from BG even if this game has more of a IWD feels into it.

• Like 1

I don't believe I'm alone in this, but Jeremy Soule's music has progressively changed in sound over the course of his career as a game composer. I think as he's gone on he's just become more boring, but that could also be that the "norm" of music composition has also become a bit more boring.

Jeremy Soule did the Icewind Dale music in a similar presentation style to Baldur's Gate 1. The most different of the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate soundtracks is probably Inon Zur's Icewind Dale 2 soundtrack which is much more choral than all of them, he doesn't really follow the formula set by Michael Hoenig/Jeremy Soule.

The IMDB Credits also have Jim Soule (Jeremy's Brother) listed as a composer, so it is possible that he also influenced the style of the IWD music.

Fair enough, I've always loved Jeremy Soule's music though. I think on the whole the Elder Scrolls games have more good music than Icewind Dale 1, although there's some very good music in both.

I think Icewind Dale 1 & 2 sound more alike than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale 1. In fact, I always thought Jeremy Soule and Inon Zur made pretty similar music, but maybe there's just something wrong with my ears.

Edited by Cabamacadaf

Yeah good point, it's not very memorable is it.

Well how many times did you hear the main theme of the IE games, of course you are going to remember it better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the music I haven't heard it, but I will be comparing it to the best IE music (IWD2).

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP