Character creation storyboard

Kronos

Automated character creation  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a storyboard used to generate a character?

I've been going through the character creation a bit, and as I've not encounter this system before; hence not knowing what stats to choose; I thought it would be great if there was a Q&A storyboard to suggest a starting character. It could have a few benefits as follows:

1: Cheap and quick to implement as it constitutes a set of elaborate multiple choice questions

2: It can be quite engaging, and a brief intro into the lore of the game world as we'll ax adding some nice flavour

3: Engages you to think about the type of character you want to be and make you award of gage various options available

4: It simplifies creation by allocation a the stat/skill points taking that confusion away; leaving only type cosmetics to decided. This can certainly make the game more appealing to a wider audience.

I myself will generally build characters from scratch, but it might be a great idea especially for those newer to the genre.

Edited by Kronos

I voted yes, but I would put it more as "yes, *if done right!*"  I think storyboarding as a way to guide new players (or even for ol' skool players who like to tinker with such things) is a great idea.  I would agree with the benefits you outline generally, but I would add that we must be able to override the story board option if we so choose, which I think is part of your idea anyway, and we should be able to fine tune the storyboard at the end as I've seen it done in most games.  The story board idea could judiciously use background lore also to help *immerse* the player in the world, which I think is what you were getting across in your second point.  However, I don't think they should take the time unless they can take the time to do it right.  A few lame questions and slapping our statistics in there won't do.  Make the storyboard a delicious appetizer to whet our hunger for the main dish, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I take 'storyboarding' as something like Fallout:  New Vegas or Elder Scrolls games where the character goes through a process of answering questions about his past to assign attributes, skills, and the like to create the character.  In the current system, the player selects things from menus before the game begins.  As I understand the OP, he'd rather have the player begin the game, maybe select an avatar and other aesthetics, and then actually create the character build after the game begins.  At least that's how I'm taking it, but some of that is from reading a point he made in another thread.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I take 'storyboarding' as something like Fallout:  New Vegas or Elder Scrolls games where the character goes through a process of answering questions about his past to assign attributes, skills, and the like to create the character.  In the current system, the player selects things from menus before the game begins.  As I understand the OP, he'd rather have the player begin the game, maybe select an avatar and other aesthetics, and then actually create the character build after the game begins.  At least that's how I'm taking it, but some of that is from reading a point he made in another thread.

Yep, that is precisely what story boarding is. And it should be an overridable feature for sure.

I voted Yes. BUT, as stated above: It needs to be done well and you should be able to edit the finished character.

I'm also the "do it your self" type of character creator, so I wouldn't be using this, but I know a lot of people who would prefer a "quick launch" option to get in to the game for the first time.

• Like 2

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

And it should involve sweetrolls and villianous rogues.

Also goats.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?