To Obsidian Entertainment - What is the status of the disappearing gear bug?

Marceror

For me, and I know a large portion of the backer community, this bug renders the game unplayable.

I'm aware that this bug was identified prior to the release of the beta, because I saw it occur in one of Adam's Gamescom streams. So I'm curious how the progress to squash this one is going. Was this the result of some sort of minor coding mistake, which simply logistically couldn't be fixed prior to the BB release on 8/18? Or is this one of those head scratchers that you have absolutely no idea how to fix yet?

I'm reaaaaally anxious to play this game, but randomly disappearing gear, in a game where gear is the difference between success and failure often times, is just far too demoralizing for me to just try to ignore and roll with.

I know you've discussed likely pushing builds every few weeks, but is it possible that this fix could be considered for an emergency release far sooner (assuming that you know how to fix it at this point)?

Overall the game is looking extremely promising, and I would love to be able to sink my teeth into it soon! Any dev response here is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I speculate this bug is related to the Save/Load-file system. Losing gear occurs most often when you load a game, pretty much everywhere.

Try making a backup folder for all your current save files, and then start a fresh new game.

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Any improvement?
Edited by Osvir

I speculate this bug is related to the Save/Load-file system. Losing gear occurs most often when you load a game, pretty much everywhere.

Try making a backup folder for all your current save files, and then start a fresh new game.

Hey all, just want to confirm some information on this issue. People that are saying they are missing upon a new game, after this happens the first time, are you completely closing the client and relaunching or just quitting to the front end and starting a new game from there? Relaunching the client and starting a fresh game should temporarily solve the issue so you can go on testing. 

Also, I would recommend clearing out your save game files when an issue like this occurs.

They are located at: C:\Users\ (USER NAME) \AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Any improvement?

Another poster reported that even when playing Trial of Iron mode this issue is still prevalent, with one and only one save present. So while this might have some benefit for this with multiple save files, it doesn't sound like it comes close to fixing the issue.

Hello ctdavids,

Thank you for your added information. We are aiming to have a resolution to this bug by the next backer update as this is one of our top priority issues.

Please continue to enjoy the beta and thank you for your support!

Based on the language used, it sounds like the fix is still a work in progress, which seems to indicate that an expedited release of a fix in the next few days isn't likely. :(

Any improvement?

Another poster reported that even when playing Trial of Iron mode this issue is still prevalent, with one and only one save present. So while this might have some benefit for this with multiple save files, it doesn't sound like it comes close to fixing the issue.

I don't mean to "check" the Trial of Iron button, but rather play on Easy-Hard and never save (Most stable this way). No saves whatsoever and performance becomes much better.

Sounds to me like it's flagged as an A or A+ priority issue that is at or very near the top of the debug list. It'll get fixed. In the meantime, it's a good opportunity to playtest Heart of Iron mode and never save.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Sounds to me like it's flagged as an A or A+ priority issue that is at or very near the top of the debug list. It'll get fixed. In the meantime, it's a good opportunity to playtest Heart of Iron mode and never save.

I'm planning to wade in again today without saving to see if that improves my chances of not losing gear. Will just keep my "gaming desktop" running all day, no alt-tabbing out (I have my laptop and other options if I need to do other stuff).

A or A+ priority sounds about right, but I do hope this issue isn't so complex that a lot more time will be required to create the fix. A Monday release of that fix would be great. Well sooner would be too, but I have little hope of that happening. Would be nice to get some sort of "target" ETA from the Devs on this.

Unholy F#$%er of Mothers! I just played for four hours without saving an lost it all due to a CTD. Not saving in an rpg feels soooo wrong. On the positive side, I never lost an item or dropped a quest. Pretty sure once the figure out the bug with save/load most of the utterly game-breaking bugs will be squashed. Sigh, I actually got enough XP to level up...

That's a bummer, to be sure. But if this approach actually allows me to get through even a combat or two without losing gear that will be an improvement over what I've been able to do thus far in the game.

Damn, I'm almost scared to launch the game. I haven't launched it since the 18th, and am just worried I'm going to be utterly disappointed if I go in again. Just hesitating left and right at the moment.

Okay, though. There's nothing for it. Just got to do it. I'm going to play on easy, no saving, and by extension, no loading. My previous saves have been deleted. I go until the game crashes, or I get wiped out... or (hopefully won't happen) my gear starts evaporating.

That's a bummer, to be sure. But if this approach actually allows me to get through even a combat or two without losing gear that will be an improvement over what I've been able to do thus far in the game.

I know this is probably poor bug-fighting edict, but before I started my new (ill-fated) play-through, I was using this ( http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67612-exploitable-inventory-item-duplication/) bug to pack up my items, especially the BB Wizard grimoire. It's even more simple than described. Just open the inventory screen, double click something equipped, then close out the screen. Now you have a back up.

Damn, I'm almost scared to launch the game. I haven't launched it since the 18th, and am just worried I'm going to be utterly disappointed if I go in again. Just hesitating left and right at the moment.

If that is really how you feel then you should wait until the game is fully released.  This is a beta version for testing only, and testing really requires a special mental patience  that very few have.  There is very little value in testing this current version until a hotfix with the main issues is released, even when that is released, there are still going to be quite a few other bugs that we were not able to find simply because the current issues leave us in a state that the game breaks before we find them.

If that is really how you feel then you should wait until the game is fully released.  This is a beta version for testing only, and testing really requires a special mental patience  that very few have.  There is very little value in testing this current version until a hotfix with the main issues is released, even when that is released, there are still going to be quite a few other bugs that we were not able to find simply because the current issues leave us in a state that the game breaks before we find them.

Good advice, I'm sure. But I won't be following it. :p

Good advice, I'm sure. But I won't be following it. :p

I figured, look forward to reading more of your demands. :)

+1 on the bug making the beta unplayabe for me

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Well, I managed to make it through a couple of battles with no disappearing equipment. That's definitely an improvement.

Currently my BB_Fighter is stuck and unable to move. I'm guessing that this occurred because I used his crossbow to draw out a beetle, and things seemed to be out when I tried to switch back to the axe. At least now I know not to switch weapons in combat.

Going to restart and go in again.

Edited by Marceror

Hmm, I figured what the hell and went ahead and save + reloaded. So far all my gear is present and the Fighter isn't stuck any more. Will push a bit further and see if I get lucky.