All NPCs but BB Rogue have better stats than main character can have?

F.ex. BB Priest has a total of 82 points in attributes while main character makes do with 78 (which is pretty big given the difference of +4 in a stat makes), IMO this is just plain bad design if it's going to be like that in the actual game. Please make all followers have the same point total as the ones you make yourself at character creation or in the adventurers hall.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

Pretty sure NPCs(Except those created by you) will have special abilities, traits, and/or better stats than the normal player, just like in the old IE games.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Pretty sure NPCs(Except those created by you) will have special abilities, traits, and/or better stats than the normal player, just like in the old IE games.

In BG1/2 which is the only one this applies to (as Icewind Dale had no non-player created characters and TNOs stats increased as you leveled) CHARNAME had as high stats as you had the patience to roll for and had special abilities of his/her own.

Making NPCs you pick up in the game simply better (higher stats and special abilities) than ones you can make in adventurers hall would just be devs favouring their own little pet NPCs.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

...And you don't know that he won't in PoE.

A: These are generic BB characters.

B: Giving companions a leg up over created characters makes them more appealing than just creating the whole party yourself.

C: Why is this even an issue?

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

...And you don't know that he won't in PoE.

A: These are generic BB characters.

B: Giving companions a leg up over created characters makes them more appealing than just creating the whole party yourself.

Having actual written personalities/backstories should be enough to make them appealing,

I don't want to arbitrarily gimped just because I don't care for a couple of the companions.

As I said above in my edit, its basically the equivalent of PnP GMNPC favouritism.

• Like 1

Having actual written personalities/backstories should be enough to make them appealing,

I don't want to arbitrarily gimped just because I don't care for a couple of the companions.

As I said above in my edit, its basically the equivalent of PnP GMNPC favouritism.

Which was alive and well in all the IE games except the Dales. So they are just being true to their spiritual predecessor! Haven't you heard? Everything the IE games did was brilliant and perfect and should be copied. Especially killxp. But this too. Though it is not as important as killxp.

No but seriously there was definite favouritism and rule breaking among the NPCs in IE games. So someone will probably want to defend it,

I actually agree with you and I hope they play by the same rules. I also hope every NPC is a blank slate I can level up from 0 including attributes but I probably wont get that wish.

Edited by Shdy314

It might mae people think those classes are better than they really are. I and a few other have made the case that fighters are under-powered after using them. Some have responded that BB fighter is good so that means we made a mistake in building ours. If BB fighter has super stats then he isn't a good representative of how good the fighter class really is.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I think in some cases it was warranted, like Minsc having beserker abilities abilities despite being a ranger. It made sense given his lore. Other times, it seems like they were just handing out the weirdness.

Interestingly, if you are counting how the devs set up characters as favoritism, then they hated Anomen too, he had fewer pips in weapons than he should have if he was built intelligently.

• Like 1

I also hope every NPC is a blank slate I can level up from 0 including attributes but I probably wont get that wish.

I've used the adventurer building feature and you've already gotten your wish. You build them from scratch; just like IWD/IWD2.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Which was alive and well in all the IE games except the Dales. So they are just being true to their spiritual predecessor! 

Not really. My pc is usually way better than the companions in BG1/BG2. Since BG let you roll for your stats the pc could be pretty over-powered.

Edited by Namutree

The total number of attribute points given to player character and non-player characters is one of the most easily pushed difficulty-knobs developers have in games like this.  It's something that Obsidz can and will be adjusting up until the moment of final publication. 

The BB PC and NPCs probably just reflect some adjustments of this that hadn't been made standard prior to its release. 

Which was alive and well in all the IE games except the Dales. So they are just being true to their spiritual predecessor! 

Not really. My pc is usually way better than the companions in BG1/BG2. Since BG let you roll for your stats the pc could be pretty over-powered.

Nah they didn't usually cheat in stats. They just got special powers (Kiel mentioned Minsc), extra spells, classes they'd be barred from, races you couldn't be etc. Corran's dex was impossibly high though along with a cheated amount of proficiency in bow. You want to be as good as Corran with the bow you gotta cheat.

Also I don't have my wish. I don't want Icewind Dale NPCs I want BG NPCs I just want to build them. For variety in playthroughs and to fix any awful spell selection and such.

Edited by Shdy314