Bug: Fog of War in dungeon at Dyrford Crossing

Dray Truoc

Question

[Description of the issue]

When I first entered the dungeon under the partial statue & skull puzzle, the fog of war (or lack of) allowed me to see hostiles walking around in rooms on the other side of walls, and much further away than I would have expected.

[DETAILED list of steps to reproduce the issue AND what to look for]

1) Enter the dungeon

2) Straight away, I can see enemies and rooms

3) Moved into dungeon, and could see behind closed doors

[Expected behaviour]

I would expect that my party would not be able to see around corners or through walls (or doors) to see enemies who were outside our field of vision; especially in a previously unexplored area.

[Other remarks / Comments]

Apologies if this is how it's meant to be, but it seemed like I had magical vision of way more than I would have expected. I don't recall this behaviour in IE games?

[Files]

Attached some screenshots

Img 00001 - You can just see my party's circles at the top of the screen, and you can see how far down and around corners you can see upon entering the dungeon.

Img 00002 - Party is completely off screen, and you can see enemies waiting in undiscovered rooms.

Img 00003 - Party moved slightly into dungeon, and can see everything inside the round hall behind closed doors.

post-45136-0-75775700-1408625028_thumb.jpg

post-45136-0-14240300-1408625033_thumb.jpg

post-45136-0-42962000-1408625187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Hello Dray Truoc,

Thank you for your feedback. This is actually a design decision that has not been completely set in stone yet, I believe. The designers wanted to try and find a way to make the party not feel so boxed in or enclosed, but while balancing obvious issues with visible enemies and objects through the walls. 

In traditional IE games you could not see an area that you were not in line of sight of at that time, with the exception of being able to see only the environment in areas you had previously visited.

I will pass this feedback onto the team and I would expect that the way party vision is handled may change somewhat over the course of the project.

Thank you for your support during the beta!

• Like 1

Hello Dray Truoc,

Thank you for your feedback. This is actually a design decision that has not been completely set in stone yet, I believe. The designers wanted to try and find a way to make the party not feel so boxed in or enclosed, but while balancing obvious issues with visible enemies and objects through the walls. 

In traditional IE games you could not see an area that you were not in line of sight of at that time, with the exception of being able to see only the environment in areas you had previously visited.

I will pass this feedback onto the team and I would expect that the way party vision is handled may change somewhat over the course of the project.

Thank you for your support during the beta!

Thanks NCarver!  If you don't mind I might raise a Beta Discussion thread on this to see how others feel about it.  There's probably a happy balance between the two views.  I would think, though, that we certainly shouldn't be able to see through doors which have not been opened yet.

Appreciate your feedback!

• Like 1

You shouldn't be able to see over dungeon walls and stuff, if you decide for some reason to not have black fog over dungeon walls, make sure that it is grey fog (where you can see over the geometry, but it doesn't actually reveal any unit positions).

I might also do a video on this with my opinions.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1