Unplayable for me as it is now...

rujo

Question

The way the game is now, it is unplayable for me. I`ve been trying of couple of fresh starts and are experiencing the same bugs on all saves.

1. Slotted weapons are disapearing.

2. All spells that the Wizard have is disapearing.

3. When I have zoomed max out, and keep it that way for a while, I cant zoom back in again. 

4. All quests disapear when I reload. (I`ve red that loading from the menu is fixing this).

5. General path finding problems.

6. During fights witch contains many characters, it is just chaos on the screen. It`s totally impossible to get a good overwiev. An example; I want to make the rogue attack the same character that my warrior is attacking to get the bonus dmg, I just cant filter out who it is on the screen.

Well, thats just some of the stuff I can recall now. Hoping, and know it will, be fixed. I`m really looking foreward to the final release of this game! :)

16 answers to this question

The way the game is now, it is unplayable for me. I`ve been trying of couple of fresh starts and are experiencing the same bugs on all saves.

3. When I have zoomed max out, and keep it that way for a while, I cant zoom back in again. 

4. All quests disapear when I reload. (I`ve red that loading from the menu is fixing this).

I was seeing all of these problems. In most recent play through I didn't save as often, only when something  bad happened (like a character getting stuck) or when I was taking a break. Then, I always quit the game and stopped the steam client so I was doing a clean start to load the save file. This seemed to help a lot. I was able to finish all four of the quests without too many bugs.

I had the same issue with my wizard and priests weapons disappearing, as well as the wizards grimoire. It seemed to happen after resting in the most expensive inn room, since that's the only thing I did differently to my other playthroughs where that didn't happen.

5. General path finding problems.

6. During fights witch contains many characters, it is just chaos on the screen. It`s totally impossible to get a good overwiev. An example; I want to make the rogue attack the same character that my warrior is attacking to get the bonus dmg, I just cant filter out who it is on the screen.

Well, thats just some of the stuff I can recall now. Hoping, and know it will, be fixed. I`m really looking foreward to the final release of this game! :)

Your issues are common. I've opted to wait until the next patch to play this further, because there's really nothing to be done for these issues until then.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

The same for me.

Waiting... 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Your issues are common. I've opted to wait until the next patch to play this further, because there's really nothing to be done for these issues until then.

Yes, too many issues up front to really find anything that isn't an already a known issue or a repercussion of a known issue.  Bugs aside, I enjoyed it a ton.

Edited by vril

I attempted 3 separate playthroughs and after running into the same basic issues all three times: Disappearing inventory, quests that won't complete, zoning problems when exiting WInfrith's shop, having to re-load when a character becomes unresponsive and feeling like the game gets worse the more you save and re-load.

I think it's best if I wait for the next update. I don't feel like I can give honest feedback because everything has been so halting and choppy or just outright broken.

Some intitial impressions regardless.

Pros: The writing and world design so far is good - The aesthetic is right on.

Cons: Not enough feedback in combat, aforementioned game-breaking bugs, not really sure if differences in attributes really make a character feel all that distinct, even when those attribute differences are wide (i.e. a 3-18 spread in D&D feels wildly more important and impactful than the 3-18 spread in PoE).

• Like 1

Yes, too many issues up front to really find anything that isn't an already a known issue or a repercussion of a known issue.  Bugs aside, I enjoyed it a ton.

I think it was Eric (one of the devs) who said that we've discovered about half of all bugs that Obsidian are already aware of. Meaning they have a large list themselves. We have probably discovered a couple of new bugs too, from what I've seen from the QA team activity in the Bug & Support forum when they have been online and replied. This is why save files are important and output_log.txt files as well, and screenshots and following the Report Format.

If you follow the Report Format and give Obsidian all the data, they can figure out how the game runs on YOUR machine, meaning that you'll get a better experience on your machine or similar machine the more you report.

Speaking of the Bug & Support forum, does this thread belong here? (feels and seems like a discussion/opinion/thought-thread).

am gonna add that Gromnir has had all these issues and more. your number 6 is not a bug and may be the most disturbing as it is not fixable as a bug. distinguishing between friends and foes is troublesome. inability to determine which foes is currently suffering status effects is also problematic. for example, the ranger has a debuff ability that it may use once (am thinking it is once) per encounter, but there is no easy way to identify which enemy Gromnir has targeted with the debuff. 

beyond the simple visual problems related to unnecessarily chaotic combat, we have more than a few problems understanding what is actual happening in combat. in the old ie games, if Gromnir equipped a two-handed sword in our fighter's hands, and had him don splint mail, we could look at the character record sheet fort that and instantly see what his thac0 would be, as well as his AC. it would be easy to see damage potentials as well. PoE feedback pre-combat is non-existent as far as we can tell. am believing that rangers get a bonus to accuracy with ranged weapons, but equipping a bow doesn't change accuracy numbers on character record sheet at all, and such accuraccy bonuses are not readily apparent from combat log neither. armour can be puzzled out by looking at the armour icon itself, but the actual impact o' the numbers provided can be confusing-- if there is class ability or trait modification to the efficacy of armour, they is enigmatic. 

the combat log itself allows only an extreme brief look at most recent combat, so attempting to reverse-engineer combats is creating numerous problems. am understanding that weapon types (piercing/slashing/crushing/etc) weapons have greater or lesser usefulness when used against particular armour types, but the brevity o' combat logs is making such information unnecessarily obscure. 

our ranger appears inordinately weak in combat, but am having difficulty puzzling out the why behind this fact from combat logs. we took a talent that suggested that our efficcy with war bows was increased, but am not certain what that means, and so far we haven't seen evidence o' that fact. our bear companion does considerable damage, but our only option for using the bear is to have him/her attack a single target with mundane attacks. the comp is actual a poor meat shield as our ranger suffers similar/same damage as the bear, so we is in point o' fact receiving 2x or more damage than other party members in the party... which isn't a problem in and of itself, but am finding that there is difficulty protecting our bear.

our cipher does better in combat, but am uncertain how we is generating focus, and more than a few abilities do not appear to be translating into game the way we were anticipating their usefulness from their description. our cipher can build focus in combat via ranged weapons, but am not certain why/what actions increase focus and to what degree focus is built. 

etc.

'course, much like the genesis poster, Gromnir has largely given up on further gameplay beyond character creation as disappearing gear and quests makes even a diehard gamer such as our self see play as somewhat pointless.

there is enough intriguing aspects to PoE that make us enthusiastic about the possibility o' playing, but the reality is too damn frustrating. only way to gain xp is through quests, but quests disappear? mage and priest can't be armed as their gear evaporates. our cipher is a closet exhibitionist who casts his armour into limbo after each reload. etc. playing PoE is intriguing as it is frustrating. we need a break... or a patch.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

your number 6 is not a bug and may be the most disturbing as it is not fixable as a bug. distinguishing between friends and foes is troublesome. inability to determine which foes is currently suffering status effects is also problematic.

Yeah, I find this a little concerning as well.

Maybe "realistic" 3D character models rendered at small sizes are not such an improvement over the Infinity Engine pixel art characters, after all?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

your number 6 is not a bug and may be the most disturbing as it is not fixable as a bug. distinguishing between friends and foes is troublesome. inability to determine which foes is currently suffering status effects is also problematic.

Yeah, I find this a little concerning as well.

Maybe "realistic" 3D character models rendered at small sizes are not such an improvement over the Infinity Engine pixel art characters, after all?

I agree as well.  It has gotten to the point where just grouping everyone together and then pointing out one bad guy I can actually see is far more effective than trying to actually direct combat as there was so much chaos.  What I thought I was seeing was in fact incorrect and a slight shift by an injured baddy makes him unclickable by my own people surrounding him as ordered.   The bugs I have experienced, and they are legion, are overshadowing the fact that this could very well be a fatal flaw for the game.  Being able to rotate the camera would help considerably, but the game as it seems to be intended (something approximating real time), is never going to be playable.  The only way to actually play is to stop it almost constantly and essentially turn it into a turn based game.  Without pausing every second or less you can't move your cursor around enough to give you enough information to find out what is happening.  The combat log is helpful but so much information goes through it that you have to pause to read for a couple of minutes to see what just happened.  

I realize that it is far to late to change the real time/turn based thing now but without a serious improvement in the ability to see and click on enemies in the scrum of melee the game will loose about 75% of its playability by making any worthwhile and important large battle either an incomprehensible chaotic massof melee or incredibly tedious with pausing and deciphering.  I think one possibility is making the enemies health bar selectable, The health bars seem to move around so as every bar is generally always visible. If they lit up when you selected or move you cursor over them we could at least get a better idea of what was going on and could issue commands accordingly.

• Like 1

Also unplayable for me. Unable to load saved games or change areas other than going indoors. Going outdoors again is impossible. Tried so many times, tried re-installing..sad, I was psyched to finally play but even for early in the beta this is a bit worrying.