Combat XP Poll - Let's See What We Think Now

SergioCQH

Combat XP Poll  

291 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you have had a taste of it, what do you think of no kill xp?

• I love this system and I am glad the game went in this direction.
    • I slightly prefer this system.
    • I think it makes little difference.
    • I dislike this system somewhat.
    • I hate this system and think it makes combat less rewarding.

Personally, I thought it was a cool idea prior to playing beta. Now, I absolutely hate it. The major problem I have is that I cannot anticipate level-ups. I have no idea when I will get any xp or how much the xp will be. Combat is now a chore instead of an opportunity. Basically, I really want combat xp back.

• Like 6

How many of these polls are we going to have, exactly?

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I do not want large xp gains from combat, especially the completely inconsistent XP rewards of BG1 and BG2 but I do want to feel like I get a little something by doing it.  If the game releases without any xp from combat I will attempt to avoid the combat, and part of exploration of areas is combat, I feel that will make exploration somewhat less rewarding.  The vast amount of xp gained in the game still should be from quests though.

Edited by vril
  • Like 6

Having combat XP wouldn't allow you to anticipate level ups any better, unless you somehow psychically knew how many enemies there'd be in an area, and where they all are, and how much XP they'll grant, all before-hand.

Also, just because the current state of the system isn't perfect doesn't mean throwing combat XP back in will fix everything. Or, to put it another way, there can be a problem without that problem simply being "there's no combat XP for every kill I make." And there is a problem. Right now, it's not working like they want it to, exactly. And even once it is, it'll probably still need some tweaking.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

This poll is really limited <_< I mean, I find it that it could be improved by having it give exp for scripted encounters, finding locations, doing small stuff and not just reaching quest objectives. So if I say I don't like the exp, it sounds like I'm saying "Bring combat exp back!" when in fact I don't want combat exp to be back

• Like 7

Personally, I thought it was a cool idea prior to playing beta. Now, I absolutely hate it. The major problem I have is that I cannot anticipate level-ups. I have no idea when I will get any xp or how much the xp will be. Combat is now a chore instead of an opportunity. Basically, I really want combat xp back.

That's cause the quest log is bugged and experience is not always being properly reported for some reason.  Once they fix the log and the reporting issues it will be fairly easy to tell when you have gained exp.

This poll is really limited <_< I mean, I find it that it could be improved by having it give exp for scripted encounters, finding locations, doing small stuff and not just reaching quest objectives. So if I say I don't like the exp, it sounds like I'm saying "Bring combat exp back!" when in fact I don't want combat exp to be back

Sounds like you prefer this system, you just want it improved. I want this poll to be simple. Do you want kill xp or not?

Having combat XP wouldn't allow you to anticipate level ups any better, unless you somehow psychically knew how many enemies there'd be in an area, and where they all are, and how much XP they'll grant, all before-hand.

If kill xp is consistently low then we can at least have a pretty good idea how much experience we'll be getting from combat. If I see 5 beetles and every enemy I have fought so far has yielded at no more than 50 xp I can assume I'll make a little progress, but not a whole lot.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

That's cause the quest log is bugged and experience is not always being properly reported for some reason.  Once they fix the log and the reporting issues it will be fairly easy to tell when you have gained exp.

I don't care about knowing when I have received xp, I want to know when I WILL receive xp and exactly how much. If you kill one rat and you get 50 xp, then you know that you have to kill X more rats to level up. It's not possible to anticipate like this with quest xp unless it's a replay and you have all quest xp rewards memorized.

I fully support the devs making a "Trial of Grinding" mode for all those whose heads explode without kill exp.

The only serious game balance issue I have is making sure that even players that like to kill everything on the map will still get a more or less equal amount of quest exp somehow, even if a quest giver is killed.

I fully support the devs making a "Trial of Grinding" mode for all those whose heads explode without kill exp.

The only serious game balance issue I have is making sure that even players that like to kill everything on the map will still get a more or less equal amount of quest exp somehow, even if a quest giver is killed.

The game as it currently stands is truly a "Trial of Grinding" because you still have to wade through tons of enemies, but now you're not rewarded for it.

• Like 3

I'm perfectly fine without combat XP. No one but psychopaths (from a roleplaying perspective) kills everything in sight because "If I kill 42 more rats, I'll be able to swing my axe harder!". I enjoy not having to kill stuff without being penalized for it, or losing on XP rewards. Give me XP rewards for exploration, quests (including major fights with plot / side plot consequences) which I could resolve in other ways than violence without having to kill every post-reward, and other minor and major achievements.

Want to get to the chest in the rat lair? Need rat tails for crafting?  Random bandits? They'll still have loot even if you don't get XP.

If you think it's worth the risk, Rat-kebabs' will have to be on the menu.

Don't want to kill rats? That's fine. You lose on rat tails and the chest in the rat lair.

Oh just be the rat-killer because you enjoy things going squish under your hammer, and some idiot in town will pay for rat tails.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 4

No Combat XP! for me!

today testing i started a new game and went right to kill some lions, after some time i was, man i not geting any XP.

And i was glad!!!!!!

And im not troling, I just feel that if you start to plan ahead, if i kill 10 lions, then ill be level 5 and ill get X thing.

Thats Just wrong, thats metagaming, And i hate it.

For now ill keep the system Quest only XP, and thats it, and even then ill love to only level up at camp, once you contemplate in your past actions.

But thats just me.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly fine without combat XP. No one but psychopaths (from a roleplaying perspective) kills everything in sight because "If I kill 42 more rats, I'll be able to swing my axe harder!". I enjoy not having to kill stuff without being penalized for it, or losing on XP rewards. Give me XP rewards for exploration, quests (including major fights with plot / side plot consequences) which I could resolve in other ways than violence without having to kill every post-reward, and other minor and major achievements.

Want to get to the chest in the rat lair? Need rat tails for crafting? Rat-kebabs' will have to be on the menu.

Don't want to kill rats? That's fine. You lose on rat tails and the chest in the rat lair.

Oh just be the rat-killer because you enjoy things going squish under your hammer, and some idiot in town will pay for rat tails.

Actually, giving xp for combat makes the MOST sense from a roleplaying perspective. Of course killing a lot of things will make you better at killing other things. It's called practice.

What does NOT make sense from a roleplaying perspective is getting xp from a quest where you used stealth to complete the objectives, then putting points into your axe skill.

• Like 1

Likewise, killing rats with your dagger doesn't let you sneak around better. Or watching the barbarian destroy a mob of spiders from afar doesn't make you cast spells better. We could go around all day.

Combat XP encourages metagaming. (Random) combat will still have its rewards, and that reward is loot. Loot is enough of a reward for a random encounter. You'll see plenty of combat in quests, if you so choose. Except instead of getting 50 XP for each of the 8 bandit you fell, plus 100 XP for the bandit leader, you'll get 500 XP all at once after you've resolved the quest. Even if you didn't have to spill blood because you were clever enough to find an alternative.

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 9

What does NOT make sense from a roleplaying perspective is getting xp from a quest where you used stealth to complete the objectives, then putting points into your axe skill.

And how, exactly, does stabbing beetles make you better at lockpicking?

You're just regurgitating arguments that have been shot down in every other thread on this same subject. At least think through your own reasoning before posting stuff, dude.

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Likewise, killing rats with your dagger doesn't let you sneak around better. Or watching the barbarian destroy a mob of spiders from afar doesn't make you cast spells better. We could go around all day.

Combat XP encourages metagaming. Combat will still have its rewards, and that reward is loot. Loot is enough.

Except that loot currently sucks too, so we don't even have that. Beetle shell gets you 50cp. New boots cost 5000cp. Hooray, 99 more beetles to go. Now we're grinding for money instead of xp, which is even worse.

• Like 1

You're just regurgitating arguments that have been shot down in every other thread on this same subject. At least think through your own reasoning before posting stuff, dude.

This is rich. You're using an argument that applies to ALL XP systems to denigrate kill xp. That's idiotic because this game uses an XP system, so you're basically saying this game makes no sense according to you.

This horse has been rotting with maggots for eternity.

As I have been saying for years, any mechanic that eliminates rewarding psychopathic kill counts is a very good thing.

This game will track reputation. I don't want to be known as the guy that butchered an entire xvart village. And you know what? BG rewarded me for it, with no hit to my reputation or alignment!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Combat XP encourages metagaming. (Random) combat will still have its rewards, and that reward is loot. Loot is enough of a reward for a random encounter. You'll see plenty of combat in quests, if you so choose. Except instead of getting 50 XP for each of the 8 bandit you fell, plus 100 XP for the bandit leader, you'll get 500 XP all at once after you've resolved the quest. Even if you didn't have to spill blood because you were clever enough to find an alternative.

So basically you admit that quest xp makes as little sense from a roleplaying perspective as kill xp. Why did you bring up that argument in the first place then?

I don't think you understand what the term "metagaming" means. Anticipating xp rewards from kills for level up is just plain old gaming. Metagaming would be anticipating quest rewards because you have already done the quest or read about the quest in a walkthrough.

How does turning in a quest and receiving objective XP make you better at lockpicking?

I don't know how many times people have told you that XP is simply an abstraction, yet you repeatedly keep on bringing up the same nonsensical argument. You seem to have problems understanding this.

Edited by Helm
  • Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.