Dual Wielding Shields Possible?

I looked through the topics briefly but if this has been covered let me know.  I know that dual wielding is possible, and shields exist and increase deflection, but would it be possible to have a dual wielding shield guy run around and just block the entire game?  

Hear me out here:

1. This would mitigate the issue of fighters losing health faster because who's going to be able to hit a guy deflecting with 2 shields?  You'd need at least 3 arms! (watch out for spiders)
  2. No need to worry about accuracy penalty! You're not going to be hitting anything!  Simply wear out the opponent after an hour or so of hitting a wall and have the squishy wizard in the back throw books or something at the guy until he drops.
  3. Not only are two shields imposing, if someone tries to break engagement you can always switch to another weapon really quick and get them with a disengagement attack!  They'll be forced to pound away for Eternity!  May I suggest weapons like: edge of shield, front of shield, shield with pointy spike on it.
  4. This is just an idea, but possibly have some sort of ability that would make enemies attack you, like a taunt?  (hey man, your mom smells worse than an ogre, I bet you can't get through these shields!)
  5. It's possible the sight of a stoic warrior carrying two massive shields could be too imposing, as they could be mistaken as a castle, mountain, or glacier moving at slower than normal speeds.  This could also be an ability for crowd control and striking fear into enemies.
  6. Maybe dual shields can be used in conversation to end conflicts peacefully, or via a scripted interaction.  Certainly offers another route for most quests and events, great for replay value.

I hope that this capability will be considered by the developers, it could always be nerfed if it's too powerful or game breaking.  Too long have RPG characters been left to fend for themselves in a world with too many swords and weapons.  I think it's silly how these scantily clad, bloodthirsty characters nearly always have the ability to swing around two giant swords the size of lampposts but can never consider the trusty shield to be so nice to have twice.

• Like 6

[Obligatory complaint about lack of combat realism]

Good, now that we have that out of the way, yeah, that would be cool. While I wouldn't want it to get in the way of developing other things (which makes implementation of something like this unlikely), I wouldn't mind being able to play out that scene from Jack and the Spartans in-game.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

This post made me smile, heh. But seriously, not a bad idea at all. A person could also have a heavier shield in other hand to block larger and multiple attacks, while directing a smaller buckler in other hand for strikes that got through and to make some swift counter-strikes with it. Like a more directed shield-bash to enemy's forehead or to disarm a weapon. 

In overall, i like it, when there is a usable system for shield in a game, be it a FPS or RPG.  To figure out a way to make an use of two shields, now would be ground breaking. 

• Like 1

"The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."

[Obligatory complaint about lack of combat realism]

I agree, it was more of a humorous post for sure.  One of the biggest things I treasured about the BG and BG2 games were the comical portions, and I feel like a lighthearted feature here or there really would make the game more fun.

While it is highly unlikely to be in the game, I like the thought process and can see it being strategically acceptable in certain situations. I wouldn't want to employ the strategy for an entire playthrough as that seems like it would get boring rather quickly.

You could "beetle wing" the edges of the shields together, to smash fingers and hands and arms, etc. 8D!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm glad to see intelligent backers for this noble cause.  In addition, I don't think it would be too hard to code, if dual wielding pointy things means they can be put in the shield slot, shields should be easily grasped in the weapon slot.  Hopefully the developers won't be too defensive about letting us stay on the defensive.

• Like 1

I'd rather be able to wear two suits of armor at the same time to be honest.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Guest Madolite

One warrior could dual-wield shields and the other could dual-wield double-bladed sword staffs. Both would be superspecialized and kick ass. :D

Lol interesting topic. How does one defeat someone using two shields though? I guess feinting is key here. Or getting someone to help you kill him. Or maybe 2 more people if he is really skilled in using 2 shields. Or keep attacking until he becomes exhausted and keep him on the defensive since depending on the shields he's using, the weight could exhaust him quickly.

Edited by xLegionx

Dual Wielding Shields Possible?

LOLWUT :blink:

That fits in the same category as sword-chucks, if you ask me.

tumblr_l3o85y3yGJ1qarkg3o1_400.jpg

Yes please to sword-chucks! I feel like this should be the developers new top priority! Along with dual shields of coarse.

I don't think dual wielding shields makes much sense in realistical terms. As always, a good offense is also a good defense.

What keeps your opponent at bay is most of the time your weapon's reach. If you dont have any weapon with sufficient reach and have two shields instead, then your opponent does not have as much to fear. He automatically gets a huge reach advantage over you. Doesn't matter if you cover 80% of your body with those shields, you will eventually get stabbed in an opening.

By gaming terms this might be fun though. Holding some specialized bucklers with daggers in both hands could be fun.

Lol interesting topic. How does one defeat someone using two shields though? I guess feinting is key here. Or getting someone to help you kill him. Or maybe 2 more people if he is really skilled in using 2 shields. Or keep attacking until he becomes exhausted and keep him on the defensive since depending on the shields he's using, the weight could exhaust him quickly.

Nnnnot really. In real life, two shields would be generally worse on the defense than a weapon with a shield, since you'd lack the ability to constrain, counterattack, and threaten at a greater range that a weapon provides. Much of the defensive efficacy from the combination of weapon and shield comes from the ability to defend at multiple different ranges simultaneously, or to defend at one range and attack at another (thus why the buckler, IRL, was the most advanced shield and the last to develop - it's the most active). The second shield doesn't offer you much additional protection, mostly covering angles that are already seen to by the first shield.

But hey, it looks cool, and in video games, that's way more important.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.