Combat could use feedback about pending actions.

Combat in this game promises to be deep and rewarding. I've had a lot of fun with it. But one annoyance (other than the bugs) is that I can't tell what command I just issued to a character. I don't know whether my mage is in the process of casting a Lightning spell, for example.  I sometimes have to check the character's spell/ability counts just to see whether he's in the process of casting it, or just cast it.

In Baldur's Gate they remedied this by showing the pending spell/action on the bottom-right corner of the portrait. Some sort of indicator like this would be awesome when issuing orders during a pause.

PS--sorry I didn't see the General Threads before posting this! Next time I'll use 'em if they apply :)

Edited by PrimeHydra
  • Like 7

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Can't quite remember exactly, but I too was trying to see if there was some kind of feed back last night when I was playing. I seem to recall that there was some very subtle indicator in or around the portrait, but it certainly wasn't obvious. Either that or I mistook it for something else heh. But yes, I agree, clearer feedback would be much appreciated.

Agreed. Do it IE style, with little icons on the portrait, displaying the current action being attempted.

*Weapon's icon for attacking

*Footprints for movement

*Potion's or scroll's icon when potioning (yes that's a word shut up)/scrollcasting

*Spell's icon for spellcasting

*Etc...

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 4

I dont know if Headbombs comment was ironic or not lol. 

Anyways, i was lost at first regarding pending actions. But then i saw the small icons and it clicked. I think it is nicely implemented, maybe make them a little bit bigger or flashier so they are easier to notice? As soon as i got used to checking them combat felt much better to me.

I dont know if Headbombs comment was ironic or not lol. 

Anyways, i was lost at first regarding pending actions. But then i saw the small icons and it clicked. I think it is nicely implemented, maybe make them a little bit bigger or flashier so they are easier to notice? As soon as i got used to checking them combat felt much better to me.

I must be missing something...where can I see my character's in-progress action?

Ask a fish head

Anything you want to

They won't answer

(They can't talk)

Combat in this game promises to be deep and rewarding. I've had a lot of fun with it. But one annoyance (other than the bugs) is that I can't tell what command I just issued to a character. I don't know whether my mage is in the process of casting a Lightning spell, for example.  I sometimes have to check the character's spell/ability counts just to see whether he's in the process of casting it, or just cast it.

In Baldur's Gate they remedied this by showing the pending spell/action on the bottom-right corner of the portrait. Some sort of indicator like this would be awesome when issuing orders during a pause.

PS--sorry I didn't see the General Threads before posting this! Next time I'll use 'em if they apply :)

agreed with suggestion. of equal importance to Gromnir is some indicator o' which enemies is suffering from debuff.  some such debuffs is indeed obvious. if rogue uses as crippling strike, we gets an actual graphic indication.  unfortunately, not all lingering negative effects has such easy-to-spot visual indicators.  half the time we can't tell which wood beetle or spider is affected by a debuff, particularly as they is all jumbled together. is most annoying.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)