Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The General Suggestions Thread

Dialogue Immersion Role-Playing Mechanics Reputation Resolve User Interface

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Hello all.

I love the reputation system. It's fantastic. Obsidian's decision to have dialogue options in most conversations that have different ways of saying (essentially) the same thing isn't new. The IE games had that kind of thing all the time for flavor. What I absolutely love is Obsidian's decision to attach role-playing mechanics to these previously-just-for-flavor dialogue choices. Now if you go around acting like an aggressive ass all the time, people will remember you as one. It's great.

What I don't love is the fact that the dialogue options not only tell you which type of reputation each option will increase (a must-have for player clarity in my opinion), but how severe the reputation increase is. So you'll see something like [Aggressive - Minor] next to a dialogue choice. This is a bit too much information, in my opinion. It changes what was previously a brilliant marriage of role-playing choices and mechanics into a mechanically-driven decision.

Now obviously the presence of this severity indicator doesn't ACTUALLY keep someone from role-playing with their choices - but in my opinion it breaks the immersion. Instead of being like "oh, I can be aggressive here, or I could try to be clever" the player goes "hmm, do I want a minor aggression reputation increase, or a minor cleverness reputation increase?". I'd love it if this severity indicator was removed or (even better) a toggleable option in the options menu. That way people could choose if they wanted to see it or not.

That's my $0.02. Thanks for reading!

• cognatus, Sarky, BLnoT and 1 other like this

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

Double-clicking an area of the map should close the map with that area centered, as in the IE games.

PS--shouldn't these collector threads be stiickied??

• Sensuki, Posbi, Karkarov and 7 others like this

Ahvz

Ahvz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts

PS--shouldn't these collector threads be stiickied??

I support this suggestion.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^they are: http://forums.obsidi...ussion-threads/

Edited by Osvir, 21 August 2014 - 03:53 PM.

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

Ah...they should still sticky the individual threads IMO. There aren't that many of them, and posters will be more likely to notice them this way.

I've come to instinctively ignore the very top sticky in forums anyway, as you can see :D

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, but isn't that a bit contradictory? Would you have noticed this thread if pinned? Also, I suggested the same thing, but Rosjberg (creator of this thread) said that then half the first page will be stickys, and that's no good, and it makes sense.

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

If they sticky 5-6 threads up top, there's less room for active conversations below on page 1.

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

I'm gonna post my solution poe's attribute system:

I've looked into this issue and I believe I have a simple solution to poe's attribute woes:

A) Might should not affect healing rate. Damage and fortitude defense is enough. Right now might is op. This will fix it.

B) Resolve should affect healing instead of might. Resolve is both under-powered and not useful enough for every class. This will fix it.

C) Perception needs to be given a very minor chance to increase your crit rate. I'd say about +0.25%. This will fix perception.

Done. Poe will now have balanced attributes.

• Meepalasheep likes this

Ahvz

Ahvz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts

B) Resolve should affect healing instead of might. Resolve is both under-powered and not useful enough for every class. This will fix it.

So Resolve will only be useful to classes with access to healing?

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

So Resolve will only be useful to classes with access to healing?

Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for healers due to the healing boost.

before they would rush for might, but now it would be a tougher call.

Edited by Namutree, 21 August 2014 - 05:52 PM.

Ahvz

Ahvz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts

Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for front-liners due to the healing boost.

I thought one of the problems with Resolve was that casters (positioned correctly) weren't getting hit at all and so interruption never even came into play. 

I like the idea of adding a crit bonus to Perception, though.

• Karkarov likes this

ctdavids

ctdavids

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, here's another thing that may not deserve its own thread.  Please respect my formation when walking during scripted cutscenes.  Specifically, if I have put my squishy caster character at the back of the formation please don't shove them up under the nose of the boss and his 5 cronies with slows (and 1 shotting deep wounds, but that's another issue).  Please leave the meat shields up front.  It's what I pay them for.  I can talk just fine from behind their backs.

Edited by ctdavids, 21 August 2014 - 05:58 PM.

• Seari, Sarky, crackwise and 2 others like this

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

Resolve is already useful for casters due to the concentration boost. Now it will also be useful for front-liners due to the healing boost.

I thought one of the problems with Resolve was that casters (positioned correctly) weren't getting hit at all and so interruption never even came into play. 

I like the idea of adding a crit bonus to Perception, though.

The fact they aren't getting hit has more to do with the ai and current engagement mechanics so far. Once the ai is improved (and it will be improved) you will find keeping casters completely safe to be a real challenge.

• Karkarov and Ahvz like this

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

The self-harm mechanic (being able to attack yourself) is amusing, but could annoy new players. I showed my wife the bear companion and let her loose to maul some villagers with it. The bear's selection circle overlapped the villager's, and she accidentally clicked the bear, which proceeded to maul itself. Just desserts or design flaw? You be the judge :)

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

The self-harm mechanic (being able to attack yourself) is amusing, but could annoy new players. I showed my wife the bear companion and let her loose to maul some villagers with it. The bear's selection circle overlapped the villager's, and she accidentally clicked the bear, which proceeded to maul itself. Just desserts or design flaw? You be the judge :)

I'd say it almost justifies a samurai class. 

• Sloul and PrimeHydra like this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3115 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think we need to change the human racial "special".  Every other race gets a different special buff based on their subrace, humans however have the same special skill no matter what subrace you choose.  This is just a little disappointing and seems odd that only Humans get snubbed.

• GrinningReaper659, crackwise, Arden and 3 others like this

ratiocinative

ratiocinative

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1.   Unless I missed it there is no option for party member AI, such as auto spellcasting and healing. It's nice to not have to micromanage everything all the time.

2.   The descriptions of the attributes during character creation seem a bit vague to me. Does Dexterity add to the accuracy of magic cast by wizards, as is implied by the "all attacks" line? I don't know. And if so, why? It is magic, which should be guided by intelligence and concentration. Does Perception's interuption chance count for spells? I can't tell.

3.   Where is the spell book page? Starting as a wizard I had access to the level one spells I started with, but when I leveled up and learned level two and three spells, they did not become available. Even upon resting.

4.   The health/stamina/damage threshold battle system is, as noted in the latest update, unintuitive. A simple optional tutorial intro would be greatly appreciated.

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hope developers don't rush with beta feedback suggestions <_< I mean, like, accidentally making resolve overpowered before they make interruptions more obvious since resolve is actually not that bad stat it just isn't obvious when its being used.

• Sarky likes this

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

I hope developers don't rush with beta feedback suggestions <_< I mean, like, accidentally making resolve overpowered before they make interruptions more obvious since resolve is actually not that bad stat it just isn't obvious when its being used.

Indeed. Resolve's base effect doesn't need to be improved. Resolve merely needs more appeal to more builds. By moving the power of healing from might which has too much appeal over to resolve; the attribute system would be better. Enhancing resolve's effect would only make perception worse.

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

The title music starts off a little slow, but after a while it gets really epic. I think that Obsidian should make the title song start a little further in. Then it would sound epic upon starting the game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dialogue, Immersion, Role-Playing, Mechanics, Reputation, Resolve, User Interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users