Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The General Suggestions Thread

Dialogue Immersion Role-Playing Mechanics Reputation Resolve User Interface

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

adam77

adam77

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

fight is confusing and fast = mess. Looks like I have no control over my characters during combat and it seems that the strategy is not important at all.

- Reduce frames per second. Maybe limit the fps to 30 fps. You'll get a more cinematic look.

- Mow the lawn.  I can't see anybody on the grass :)

Edited by adam77, 13 September 2014 - 07:47 PM.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1589 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It would be really useful to have free level 5 hirelings, and a kill option in the tavern. Maybe you could order a round of poison?

Put simply, the beta has hugely more potential if people can play around with a lot of builds. To make this convenient, allowing them to purchase new pcs easily is a must, but so is killing off the companions you presently have, preferably on the same map.

The alternative is grinding for cash and running off to find a beetle to merc your BB pals. Just think of how many class combos people can play around with, if they can get a new party set up in town quickly with every new game?

search for the save-game editor thread - you can add cp to your party with that and hire who you like ;)

(doesn't help with killing off the BB-chars and removing them from your team ... at least, I don't think it does - maybe give it a try?)

Edited by Silent Winter, 13 September 2014 - 07:33 PM.

• happyelf likes this

happyelf

happyelf

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Good to know, but i'd still prefer a more direct option.

(edit)It sounds like it allows some editing of characters, as well.

Edited by happyelf, 13 September 2014 - 09:09 PM.

adam77

adam77

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

fight is confusing and fast = mess. Looks like I have no control over my characters during combat and it seems that the strategy is not important at all.

- Reduce frames per second. Maybe limit the fps to 30 fps. You'll get a more cinematic look.

- Mow the lawn.  I can't see anybody on the grass :)

- status bar above characters is useless in such mess

Attached File  Battle.jpg   268.73KB   0 downloads

lordkim

lordkim

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Do quest items and  keys etc etc,  you use, disappear ?

Remember in BG that they always stick in your inventory..

Edited by lordkim, 16 September 2014 - 10:37 AM.

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

Please color the icons for offensive and defensive spells consistently. Currently most defensive spell icons are blue, but a few are red, and most offensive spells are red, but a few are blue. That coloring is huge in terms of what it communicates to the player. I hope you decide to bring them into line with the IE games in terms of consistency. I realize the icons of the backer beta aren't final, but I wasn't sure whether some spell icons were.

• Seari, Sarky, AlekzanderZ and 1 other like this

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Please reduce the tooltip delay for spells significantly or make it customizable in the options menu. It's really annoying hovering over every one of ~10 spells for about a second just to find the one I want. Personal preference would be for near-instant, but it should really just be a slider in the options menu. 

• DCParry, Seari, Cluas and 1 other like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

They need separate tooltip delays for Combat HUD and UI tooltips

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

This may have been mentioned, but class abilities could use some kind of description in their tooltip when creating a class. Creating a monk right now, and under the Class banner, under Monk, there are icons for Transcendant Suffering and Swift Strikes.

Transcendant Suffering's tooltip simply says "Passive".

Swift Strikes' tooltip says "Requires 1 wound".

I can find the descriptions for these abilities in the general Monk description, but shouldn't the ability icons themselves also describe them? Just found it a wee confusing.

PS - this is in build 301.

Edit - Also getting this in the character level up screen. I unlocked "Long Stride", and mousing over it I just see "Combat Only". No description. Bug, or incomplete tooltips? I wasn't sure.

Edited by PrimeHydra, 01 October 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• AlekzanderZ likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3007 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This may have been mentioned, but class abilities could use some kind of description in their tooltip when creating a class. Creating a monk right now, and under the Class banner, under Monk, there are icons for Transcendant Suffering and Swift Strikes.

Transcendant Suffering's tooltip simply says "Passive".
Swift Strikes' tooltip says "Requires 1 wound".

I can find the descriptions for these abilities in the general Monk description, but shouldn't the ability icons themselves also describe them? Just found it a wee confusing.

There used to be descriptions. I'm chalking it up to bugs.

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

It would be great if we could set how often characters played "acknowledgement sounds". I like to turn mine off after hearing "very well", "going", "very well",  etc. enough times :-)  This was a nice little feature of the BG games.  "Always", "Sometimes (20% of the time)" and "Never" were the options I believe.

• Namutree likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
This is really minor (and I may just be not remembering things correctly -- I haven't gotten to play the beta in a little while), but...

Having some music continue during loading screens really makes even short load times less jarring and annoying. Maybe just have whatever music was playing when you entered a loading session (went to world map, entered a building, etc.) continue, then transition into whatever's supposed to play in the new area.

Hearing jolly tavern music, then abrupt silence for 8 seconds, then travelly forest music just kind of kicks you in the face with the Boot of "Hey, Your Game's Kind of Just Paused Right Now!"

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

The wording of the Cancel prompt for hiring a new adventurer is a little confusing due to the button captions.

"Cancel hiring of new adventurer?"

[Accept] [Cancel]

I accidentally clicked Cancel, thinking "yes, Cancel it."  Of course, [Accept] is what actually cancels it.

Possible new wording:

"Are you sure you want to cancel?"

[Yes] [No]

• IndiraLightfoot, Doppelschwert, Cluas and 2 others like this

DCParry

DCParry

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

There had better be a 24 hour clock in the shipped game, as opposed to the archaic am/pm nonsense you use in the colonies.

But the game takes place IN the colonies!

You imperial bastard ;-)

• Lephys likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5308 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The wording of the Cancel prompt for hiring a new adventurer is a little confusing due to the button captions.

"Cancel hiring of new adventurer?"

[Accept] [Cancel]

I accidentally clicked Cancel, thinking "yes, Cancel it."  Of course, [Accept] is what actually cancels it.

Possible new wording:

"Are you sure you want to cancel?"

[Yes] [No]

Great find!

I'd post that in the bugs section with a "[301]" at the start of your thread title, then it will most definitely get noticed.

Bruiser

Bruiser

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, I haven't had the chance to read through the thread yet, but it would be nice to have a non-violent resolution when talking to Trygil after unconvering the Skaen plot.  The options I chose were sympathetic to the conspiracy (spoilers: aligned with the blood pool and sent Aelys back to murder her uncle), so it seems strange that Trygil would be hostile towards me.  I even wear the Skaenite robe and hood :(

ctn2003

ctn2003

Lord Gil Wood of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Aright i want to be able to drop items on the ground its just dumb that i flat out cant. and i want helmits to not be usless in the game their are magic helmits i know but their far and few between! i a think all helmits need a + 5 deflection bonuses  PLEASE just ask the other backers they understand as well. Having helmits that are basscly just hates is just silly :/ ;(

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

Would love to be able to set movement waypoints via Shift+Click, like in the IE games. This is great for skirting hazards, setting up sneak attacks, scouring an area for hidden items, and compensating for the inevitable shortcomings of pathfinding algorithms.

Queuing spells and abilities via Shift+Click would also be cool, and could make battles less micromanagement-intensive. But please, movement waypoints at the very least! :)

Edited by PrimeHydra, 08 October 2014 - 07:03 PM.

• morhilane, JFSOCC, Lephys and 1 other like this

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

The crafting dialog could use a filter to show only recipes for which you have the ingredients. Being able to scroll through recipes with the arrow keys would also be nice!

• JFSOCC likes this

PrimeHydra

PrimeHydra

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts

Clicking the combat log entry for "Bestiary information unlocked: Wurm" seems like it should bring up the Bestiary entry on Wurms. Would be a nice way to immediately view information on your newfound foes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dialogue, Immersion, Role-Playing, Mechanics, Reputation, Resolve, User Interface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users