Revamp of Atrribubte that actual reflected a persons attributes not his general power. Example Might shouldn't effect spell strength and melee damge, instead Intelegence, Wisdom or mental prowess attributes should do that, while physical attributes effect melee damge.

Bashing of Doors and chests should be allowed

So, you want D&D stats? Absolutely not. Having your might impact your spell damage prevents dump statting on all characters. There's a reason it's might and not strength - it encapsulates both your physical and/or magical power. D&D states are a step backwards in PoE, they've done really well with the attribute system in making you create a balanced character.

And yes, bashing I would like to see.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Elaboration

3 = 1 per encouner ability

18 = 6 per encounter abilities

each 3 points +1

3 at 9 Resolve

Thanks for the more concrete example! However it illustrates why I at least don't like it and don't think it fits with the rest of the system.

No other stat currently has threshholds below which it is useless. No other stat currently has no effect if you put 1 or 2 points into it but a significant effect if you put 3.

Furthermore, while the current values need a lot of work I am strongly against introducing stats that do have these sorts of threshholds, I believe it has the following problems:

• It is both unsatisfying and unintuitive that putting 1 point into a stat does nothing
  • It will have a weird effect on the rest of the system because suddenly you have a stat that must be pumped/dumped in multiples of 3
  • It creates a trap/trash option (as Josh talked about recently in the interview that was linked): putting anything other than a multiple of 3 in the stat.
  • It makes the only current benefit of racial stat bonuses useless for that stat (going over the limit, currently a race that gave +1 or +2 to Resolve would effectively do nothing because even if you maxed the stat you would be at 20 which is a useless number under the threshold)

These are just some of the problems I see with any suggestion that includes threshholds for stats, and I'm sure I could come up with more if I kept thinking about it.

Consider also that in PoE your stats are permanent, you do not get periodic increases like in D&D. D&D (at least 3rd edition and up) have a threshholding system where essentially only every 2 points matter (since your bonus from a stat is [stat-10]/2) but there at least you get an extra point or two every 4 levels so that starting with a 13 or 15 in an ability score merely delays that stat being useful since you can raise it to a 14 or 16 after a few levels if you wish.

make a major derivative (1 stat point=1derived stat point) and a minor derivative (3 stat points=1derived stat point) for each stat, problem solved.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I usually have quite the inspiration for suggestions, but in POE's case, I think most I could come with already been voiced in this thread.

- I would like to be able to pick my weapon of choice at character creation, and in order to achieve that, I would like a shop style to end character creation.

Player starts naked with some gold and use this little gold to buy its equipment, equipment range to poor to average quality.

You can buy a fine piece of shortsword (etc.) but then, will be limited to buy anything else. Choices, choices, choices.

Arcanum style.

Maybe some bonus from stats when achieving very high numbers.

In DD, high wisdom would give mind shield

In Arcanum every stat had a special bonus when at 20,

Strength was double damage for melee

Dexterity was a big bonus to speed 

Constitution was poison immunity

Beauty was reaction modificator +100%

Intelligence was +10% hit chance with spell

Willpower was immunity to will-based spells

Charisma was 100% loyalty from characters (so they didnt get angry or leave your party due to your karma)

Achieving 20 in a stat was hell of fun, and you could feel special already.

Although you would get attribute points with level up.

• Like 1

I really can't stand the floating damage numbers, they really break immersion for me. Is there a way to turn them off? If not, I would really like if they add it as an option, because I'm not playing a ****ing mmo, and the combat log serves all my needs( well not in it's current state anyways, but hopefully it will).

• Like 2

I would love for tab-highlighting to highlight the container/bodies dropped by slain enemies like it did in the infinity engine games.

Just want to reaffirm this position.  Enemy dropped loot seems to have become even harder to see this patch (hiding behind grass, etc.) and I really want to have it highlighted when I press tab.  Pixel hunting is not fun. Just show me where the loot is.

I would also like for ingredients to be highlighted, but maybe them not being is a design decision.  I still stand by pixel hunting not being fun though.

• Like 3

Need a bulk "move to stash" function to move stuff from the tactical inventory to the stash, as well as the ability to move loot directly from pickup to stash.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Three things.

1: Make dots only do stamina damage.  As it stands now taking a full poison duration will take a third of most characters health pools so two poisons or deep wounds in one fight is basically a forced rest.

2: Assuming you won't do #1 up the stam to health ratio.  Make it 6:1 for everyone and 8:1 for barbarians.

3: Lower the action recovery penalties on wearing gear, perhaps reduce them all by 10% at least so padded for example has no penalty.  As many people have pointed out for ranged characters the penalty of even just padded armor out weighs any DT benefit since they never get hit unless you mess up.  Something seems seriously wrong about the mechanics of the game encouraging everyone but tanks to be naked all the time.

Need a bulk "move to stash" function to move stuff from the tactical inventory to the stash, as well as the ability to move loot directly from pickup to stash.

You can move stuff directly from pickup to stash.  You can either drag/drop it onto the chest icon (the stash) or click the chest icon and then select "Take All" to grab everything.

I don't like that the status effects icons above party members icons are too tiny. Also, it would be nice to see status effects of enemies.

Suggestion: Add a mouseover popup tooltip showing status effects (buffs, debuffs, modals) of player controlled characters and possibly enemies too (similiar to what the "Show Relative Defenses" is doing now).

One thing I would like is a tool tip explaining what a talent does on the character sheet once taken. I took Soldier weapon focus for greatswords, and couldn't remember the other weapons it helps when I was looking for a second weapon.

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I don't like that the status effects icons above party members icons are too tiny. Also, it would be nice to see status effects of enemies.

Suggestion: Add a mouseover popup tooltip showing status effects (buffs, debuffs, modals) of player controlled characters and possibly enemies too (similiar to what the "Show Relative Defenses" is doing now).

I don't think a mouseover for the PCs is required: just make the icons a bit bigger.  Totally agree about the enemies though.

One thing I would like is a tool tip explaining what a talent does on the character sheet once taken. I took Soldier weapon focus for greatswords, and couldn't remember the other weapons it helps when I was looking for a second weapon.

This would be very helpful.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Talents should mechanically explain what they do. Choosing between them is difficult when I have no idea how much accuracy is being boosted or how much more damage soul whip will do.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, there are several examples of this lack of consistent information between various views.  Other examples include:

1) Abilities: when selecting you get a brief blurb, but when using an ability in combat you get all the exact figures (would be nice to know that when choosing the ability)

2) Skills: when selecting you have info about what lore means, etc., but in the char sheet when you right click on them you just get the number of points you have

Character creation needs its order changed. It makes absolutely no sense that something that affects attributes should come after the attributes, altering the values you decided on. Also, portraits more fully define your character, and appearance is usually altered to fit t he portrait, not the other way around. If I make my character look a certain way, and then can't find a portrait that fits, that's just bad The order should be like this:

Sex

Race

Portrait

Sub-race

Class

Culture

Attributes

Appearance

Voice

Name

• Like 9

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

When 2 or 3 AoE effects go off around the same time, you can't see anything in a battle. Pretty effects are lovely and all, but if the green/red selection circles for players and enemies could remain on top of them, that'd be handy. That or tone down the bloomy glarey brightness of those effects so we can see what's going on behind them. As long as I can see the outline of a character behind the swarm of buffs and debuffs, I'm happy.

• Like 1

When 2 or 3 AoE effects go off around the same time, you can't see anything in a battle. Pretty effects are lovely and all, but if the green/red selection circles for players and enemies could remain on top of them, that'd be handy. That or tone down the bloomy glarey brightness of those effects so we can see what's going on behind them. As long as I can see the outline of a character behind the swarm of buffs and debuffs, I'm happy.

They need to tone down Spell FX or we'll have the same cluster**** as in NwN2 at higher levels.

Edited by Seari
  • Like 1

I usually have quite the inspiration for suggestions, but in POE's case, I think most I could come with already been voiced in this thread.

- I would like to be able to pick my weapon of choice at character creation, and in order to achieve that, I would like a shop style to end character creation.

Player starts naked with some gold and use this little gold to buy its equipment, equipment range to poor to average quality.

You can buy a fine piece of shortsword (etc.) but then, will be limited to buy anything else. Choices, choices, choices.

Arcanum style.

Remember the beta is part way through the game. In the videos showing the normal start for the full game you start with the same equipment (maybe lesser quality) and a bit of cash with merchant right next to you. So in the full game with the normal start you'll have a chance to buy different weapons straight away.

Edited by aeonsim

There had better be a 24 hour clock in the shipped game, as opposed to the archaic am/pm nonsense you use in the colonies.

• Like 2

[slap Aloth]

I would like the ability to alter the clothing colors of all six party members from the character sheet.   In the current version of the beta, your main character is stuck with the colors you chose at character generation, and your companion's clothes can't be customized at all.   Hopefully this feature is already planned because it would be easy to implement.

• Like 7

Please discuss your thoughts, ideas, complaints, suggestions etc. on Pillars of Eternity here.

Some of my ideas after 3-4 days of gameplay. As usual, just my 2 cents :)

BUGS

- When a character dies I cant replace it with a new one from the inn. Seems like the died character is ghosting.

- The prerolled characters "BB_classes" have no weapon tallents at the games beginning.

NEEDS

- More character portraits!!! Pwetty pwlease with lotsa honey and sugar on top!!!

- Change prices and money lootdrops please! Having everything in coppers only makes my head in! Introduce Silver- and Goldcoins too please!

- Would be nice with some more choices during character creation

- Not sure if there is yet, but if theres none, please consider spells for healing health and ditto potions.

- Please allow stacking more than 6 camping utilities. Theres no reason really for limitting it to 6 since you can place more camping utillities in your chest. Or is there?   

- Savegames need an overhaul. The most recent one should always be on top for example...

MY PERSONAL IDEAS WHICH MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT BE RIGHT THE GAME..

- Its more than fine with very little dialogues from the characters! I am not into voicing everything! But right now I think there is way too quiet. Would it be possible with having them coming with comments, remarks or aknowledments now and then during ordinary gameplay? Because I miss NPC personalities very much in this game! Characters like Minsc from BG! For me, theres no need for other NPCs than we just have now named like fighter, priest, rogue and wizard. Because there is no feeling of life from them. Just a machinery that provides a sword or a spell during battles..

- More alternative ways for generating attributes! Die rolls please??

- Increase the skillpointspool for distribution..

- Although I can live with it, I would very much that you please reconsider at least a little XP for kills. Feels so very weird killing stuff without gaining anything for it. Specially for creatures like spiders where the lootdrop can be little or nothing.

- Its very possible im the only one, but I find it a little confusing picking armours (and maybe other things too..) for my characters. What to chose?? Could you add recommendations on the armours for who these are best suited for? I find the numbers/info a little confusing, but then, i have only played this game for 3-4 days now and are not fully into it. Still, I would like to just point it out..

- Attributes. I would very much that you consider changing Intellect into intelligence. A little more classic streamline, and fits better in with the four first attribute points. Resolve I guess is ok, but it will take me som time to get adjusted to it after 25 years - or so - of playing classic D&D where we after all use Charisma..

CONCLUSION

- More Cowbells! :)

Great game though!!!!!

Edited by Niccolado

I would like to see more time-of-day related events, such as:

-  the villagers not wandering around in the middle of the night

- shops closing for the night & owners moving between sleeping area and shop

- different encounters for time of day eg night clerk in the inn vs dangler in the day

- different people in the inn and different size crowds for time of day and day of week

- ability to rest for x hours to allow appointments and specific times to be easily aimed at

- different animals roaming during day and night in same areas

- variation in daylight/moonlight and visibility

• Like 1