Is there a blog post or article that explains why they went with a system that limits the number of rests?

To encourage strategic use of your per-rest abilities. If you have unlimited resting, then effectively every ability is per-encounter since you can just rest between every fight. Same reason (probably) they came up with the Spirit Eater mechanic in MotB. 

(FWIW I loved that mechanic. Probably in the minority, but I loved it.)

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

To encourage strategic use of your per-rest abilities. If you have unlimited resting, then effectively every ability is per-encounter since you can just rest between every fight. Same reason (probably) they came up with the Spirit Eater mechanic in MotB. 

(I thought it was a good mechanic but I wish it had been a little more punitive. I didn't eat a single spirit but I never had any trouble keep my spirit meter up.)

Anyway PoE, ahem, this same bug happens with quest items. You have to drag them to your hero in order for them to go into your quest items and actually register as such when your trying to open doors/hold up severed heads and so on.

(You could suppress it to oblivion if playing a goody-goody. Try embracing the curse for spits and giggles. It is awesome and psychopathic, easily the best 'evil' arc I've seen in any game. I still feel awful about those poor nice migrants I sent to be eaten by cannibal monsters...)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It is broken though. Maybe 12 year olds can't see that, but it is true.

Obsidian can fix it if they want. Or they can deprecate it. Both would work.

Dude, you're an idiot.

No one here is saying attributes are flawless and perfect. We all have critiques and suggestions and little issues with them to some extent. The difference is we recognize this is week ****ing one of the ****ing beta. Plenty of time to MAKE those fixes.

You wanna know why everyone makes fun of you? Because your attitude is basically on par to if Obsidian were going to compete in a marathon running race, and then before the race even starts, you're raging and ripping up your gambling tickets representing the money you bet on them solely because they're drinking water instead of Gatorade and therefore they're ****ing idiots of a grand calibur and there's no way in hell they can hope to accomplish anything but last place.

Calm the **** down and provide reasonably presented constructive criticism and people would treat you better.

The thing is, the beta has been released - obsidian are at least halfway through the race. If people are tearing up their betting slips, it's because it seems like obsidian have been running in the wrong direction.

Let me be clear, that may only be their opinion but, they have as much right to voice it as anyone else does. Further, they don't need to justify it to you or anyone else.

Nothing @Helm has said comes close to being as offensive as the attitude displayed in that post. ^^

• Like 7

One of the most memorable things in BG2 for me is the screen shake and voice feedback whenever a critical hit occurred. Not sure how common critical hits will be in PoE, but I would love this more than anything. Korgan: "Skullbreaker!", Keldorn: "Torm take you!"

• Like 13

Revamp of Atrribubte that actual reflected a persons attributes not his general power. Example Might shouldn't effect spell strength and melee damge, instead Intelegence, Wisdom or mental prowess attributes should do that, while physical attributes effect melee damge.

Bashing of Doors and chests should be allowed

Rolling for Stats would be AWESOMESAUCE.

More Options for XP then just quests

I just tried playing for a few hours with a ranger.  It was not a fantastic experience.  Here is what I noticed:

• PoE throws a lot of stats at you right away, and gives you very little information on what choices are good or bad.  The goal is that there are no "bad choices" but clearly that is not the case.
  • The town and character models all look good. The background looks great.
  • The UI is a little compressed. The ability icons in particular are very small and hard to distinguish from each other.  And heaven help the wizard and priest whose abilities are further tucked behind the "I/II/III" menus
  • The font in the combat window is too big, everything scrolls out of view very quickly.  Also, changing the text contents when you hover over items in this window makes scrolling with the mousewheel very difficult.
  • When I have the whole party selected and click on someone to talk, a different party member approaches the NPC every time.  Why? Is it always assumed that my PC is talking, or do different characters have different conversational abilities? And if the latter, why can't I set a "party leader" to do the talking?
  • Combat is insanely confusing.  The box helps a little, but it's still overwhelming for me, and I'm not new to RPGs.  My party died almost immediately on the first encounter, and I had to switch to "Slow" mode to figure out what was going on. 
  • In general, there are a lot of abilities that seem like slight variations of each other, which makes it hard to keep track.
  • My ranger character was awful, partially because I didn't give him enough Dex to hit anything, but partially because he spent the majority of his time reloading his weapon.  Which attribute governs reload speed and why don't the other classes have to reload?
  • I assume you know this already, but there is no quick save or quick load that I could see.
  • There should be an option to adjust the window and arrow key scrolling speeds.
  • When selecting a unit, it needs to be clear visually what the unit is currently trying to do (or about to do.)  Currently the icon distinguishes between attacking, moving or using an ability, but it doesn't make the target clear.
  • Targeting units hidden behind other units is very difficult.  The isomorphic perspective seems much closer to the ground, somehow, than IE games.
  • Making healing and other buff spells AOE is slightly confusing - do the stamina recovery spells affect enemies, too? I miss the ability from IE to have the healer target healing spells on other party members by click on the UI icon of the character rather than the actual character's avatar.
  • I really hope the final game has some kind of tutorial for the battle system that starts you out with 2-3 characters against 2 enemies, because starting 6 on 6 is overwhelming.
  • Like 3

I think there is a really great game in this. Some of the spell animations are great and I think that there will be a really cool dynamic between the character classes that will emerge later on especially with the chanter. Aside from the obvious issues with disappearing items, abilities not working, etc. etc. there are some really nice touches in this. I like how the circles under the characters get distorted when they go underwater, that was really cool.

They need to dramatically reduce the recovery time IN GENERAL for this game. That way I can actually observe what is going on in combat. At the moment, it's a mosh fest and combat becomes incomprehensible. Like I don't know if my mage casted a spell and stuff. 

• Like 1

Calibrating...

A suggestion about picking locks: I had the BB Rogue attempt to pick a lock tonight, and her skill was too low (Mechanics of 7) and I got the message: Lockpicks Needed: 8.

Now, I know it should be obvious that you don't need 8 lockpicks, but this could easily be a little confusing (I admit I at first thought "What the hell, I need 8 lockpicks?"). Maybe change the message to say "Mechanics skill (7) too low. Needed: 8", and then it will be obvious you need a certain number of lockpicks to open the container. A small change, but I feel it would be less confusing.

• Like 2

They need to dramatically reduce the recovery time IN GENERAL for this game. That way I can actually observe what is going on in combat. At the moment, it's a mosh fest and combat becomes incomprehensible. Like I don't know if my mage casted a spell and stuff. 

The recovery time isn't the cause for the combat becoming an indecipherable dogpile though. Let's get those sorted first, then we can comment on the timing.

The only timing-related thing I'm fairly convinced about is that movement speed is too fast.

• Like 2

I would love to see a page somewhere in the GUY that collects all the different lore books I have found. It'll be great to go back and re-read through them all once I've found dozens and dozens.

I guess there'll be web pages up eventually where I can just read through them all, data-dump-style, but it'd be nicer to be able to do this in-game.

• Like 2

Strength - melee and ranged damage, weight allowance

Dexterity - accuracy, reflex, deflection

Constitution - health and stamina, fortitude

Intellect -  spell duration, AoE size

Might/Spirit/Soul power - spell damage, healing

Resolve - concentration, will, interrupt

• Like 3

Shield Bash (Talent): Gain the ability to Shield Bash, pushing an enemy away and stunning them briefly (Knockback Effect)
- Requires Shield

Anyone should be able to pick the talent up, and if flintlocks are one-handed, shield bash with gun too :D

• Like 2

I reported this in the bug forums, but not sure if it's a bug, so I'm posting it here as well in case:

When you get a popup notice of an addendum added to the quest log (top left of the screen), if you click on that banner notification nothing happens. My suggestion would be to have the journal open when you click on it.

• Like 3

Must be for balance reasons, because I refuse to believe they actually enforced something as simulationist as camping supplies while a big chunk of the game system is anti-simulationist.

I always found it weird that my party would actually sleep in dungeons and then a ridiculous amount in BG2.But this camping supplies thing as a requirement I really like as it adds a backstory to what is happening.3 rests and back to a town is much more immersive for me then the rest spam I did in the IE games. :(

Is there a blog post or article that explains why they went with a system that limits the number of rests?

Great to hear!

Edited by wolfstriked

Binding Web: should not slow down/hold spiders.

Ehhh, spiders can get stuck in their own webs if they forget where they put the sticky strands. Webs are made up of regular strands and sticky strands. Spiders don't get stuck in their own webs because they know which ones are going to get them stuck.

• Like 1

Binding Web: should not slow down/hold spiders.

Ehhh, spiders can get stuck in their own webs if they forget where they put the sticky strands. Webs are made up of regular strands and sticky strands. Spiders don't get stuck in their own webs because they know which ones are going to get them stuck.

Fun fact: Theirs a kind of wasp that pretends to be stuck in a spider web and when the spider comes out and tries to kill it, it geats eaten by the wasp.

EDIT: Theirs also a kind of wasp that preys on jumping spiders, it paralyzes them with venom, injects its eggs and cuts off all its limps. Wasp are truly evil.

Edited by Mayama
  • Like 3

Okay so recently I discovered there are buttons to hide the combat log and center ui right now.  Request: Make the center ui button placed on the bottom when minimized and make the button for the combat log be directly to the right.  It seems weird having the combat log button jump up to the middle of the right side of the screen and the middle button go to what may be thin air if you don't have a 6th party member.