What is your reasoning that strength adds damage that bows do? Archer's strength determines only how strong bow they are able to use not how much power bow can put behind arrows that are shot with it.

And if magic adds physical damage that character do should that damage be determined by character's strength or intelligence? And what is reasoning behind you choice?

And how attributes should work otherwise in your system, meaning what attributes there should be, what they should do and reasoning behind them? As it is easy to demand changes in system but it is much harder to actually make them work in the game as intended.

Regarding bow: bow strings have a certain amount of kg of pull that they support, so a stronger bowman can pull further the string and transfer more force to the arrow once shoot, while the amount of force that a crossbow transfer to a bolt is only given to the physical structur of the crossbow itself.

Bu this is an abstraction because if you apply to much force to a bow string the string could snap or a bowman with a certain level of strength could always pull the string at his max capacity, it's simply another method for calculating bow damage (with some actual logic on his side).

For the rest: i'm not fairly sure what do you mean with magic add physical damage, you mean like in a lot of anime? Do we really want to move this game over the JRPG area?

And lastly:

Str:govern everithing that require physical force

Dex:given or taken as it is in poe

Con:Health

Int:govern everything that require insubstantial force like magic,intelligence(the mind,the psyche call it as you want) rapresent the will that people put in controlling something invisble and insubstantial

I would use only those attribute, the rest would be only a series of skill.

• Like 1

Elaboration

3 = 1 per encouner ability

18 = 6 per encounter abilities

each 3 points +1

3 at 9 Resolve

This would make resolve a mandatory OP stat. 6 knockdowns on a fighter... lol wat

And would have no benefit to a chanter. 

• Like 1

I would have to agree with you. I have found i tend to look at the type of reputation a dialog option requires and not what i am actually saying. As you said it is more of a immersion thing. I feel i am just trying to get the best option to further my reward/gain/conversation rather then roleplay what i would really say/do for that particular character.

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

What puzzles me about all this butthurt re the attributes is that by far the most common criticism -- that they don't affect builds enough -- can be changed by adjusting a dozen numbers in a spreadsheet. That's like three minutes of work. I literally can't think of anything in the game that's easier to change. Yet certain people here make it out like the entire game is rotten to the bone.

(Of course, the folks who think that wizards have to be intelligent and there can't be a stat that governs physical and magical damage BECAUSE REASONS won't be happy, but all I can say to that is... good.)

I think some people believe that because Intelligence is what determined Wizards' spell potency in DnD, it must govern spell potency in ALL fantasy settings. We could spend years arguing about which attribute should affect magic powahs for each class, but it is all moot when you factor that magic, as all fictional things, is up to the creator to determine the mechanics of. That in PoE Might affects damage of all things isn't any less realistic than how smart you are determining how hard to resist a fireball you create out of a ball of bat guano and sulfur(per Pathfinder rules) is. Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

why OP stat? 1 strong kdown or 6 whimpy ones there is a choice

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

What is your reasoning that strength adds damage that bows do? Archer's strength determines only how strong bow they are able to use not how much power bow can put behind arrows that are shot with it.

And if magic adds physical damage that character do should that damage be determined by character's strength or intelligence? And what is reasoning behind you choice?

And how attributes should work otherwise in your system, meaning what attributes there should be, what they should do and reasoning behind them? As it is easy to demand changes in system but it is much harder to actually make them work in the game as intended.

Regarding bow: bow strings have a certain amount of kg of pull that they support, so a stronger bowman can pull further the string and transfer more force to the arrow once shoot, while the amount of force that a crossbow transfer to a bolt is only given to the physical structur of the crossbow itself.

Bu this is an abstraction because if you apply to much force to a bow string the string could snap or a bowman with a certain level of strength could always pull the string at his max capacity, it's simply another method for calculating bow damage (with some actual logic on his side).

For the rest: i'm not fairly sure what do you mean with magic add physical damage, you mean like in a lot of anime? Do we really want to move this game over the JRPG area?

And lastly:

Str:govern everithing that require physical force

Dex:given or taken as it is in poe

Con:Health

Int:govern everything that require insubstantial force like magic,intelligence(the mind,the psyche call it as you want) rapresent the will that people put in controlling something invisble and insubstantial

I would use only those attribute, the rest would be only a series of skill.

Bows have certain draw length which is optimal them, and pulling over it will only hinder usage of bow, as if you draw arrow to behind it will not leave cleanly from bow and lose accuracy and speed and if you use longer arrows there is still limit how long you can pull bow and longer arrows are also heavier, which means that longer draw don't necessary compensate speed lose which their weight will cause, and drawing bow too much also risks their structural integrity. So stronger bow man needs to use stronger bow to actually get any more strength to their shots. You can also in theory put more gunpowder in blunderbusses, pistols and arquebuses to get more velocity for bullet, and stronger man can use more gunpowder as they can handle bigger kick from the weapon, but in reality those weapons can handle only certain amount gunpowder, before their structural integrity is compromised, which is usually amount they are recommended to use with. 

For example spell sharper edge that adds physical damage that your sword does, is this damage covered by strength or intelligence in you system.

So what skills you would then add to replace mechanics that are in PoE (health, concentration, interrupt, size of areas and duration of effects for abilities that aren't from insubstantial force (like barbarian carnage, and rogues special attacks))

(Of course, the folks who think that wizards have to be intelligent and there can't be a stat that governs physical and magical damage BECAUSE REASONS won't be happy, but all I can say to that is... good.)

:/

Really think you didn't have to be so spiteful here. There are good reasons and there are bad reasons for being against a stat that governs physical and mental damage. There are also simply different points of view concerning the role attributes play as a mathematical abstraction of a character.

I mean I guess this wasn't directed at me and more at the people who aren't even interested in having a discussion about this, but... yeah, I have a problem with a stat that does physical and mental damage. Because reasons. Reasons that I listed and carefully explained. Reasons that you're allowed to disagree with.

I agree about wizards and how stupid wizards should be an option, at the same time I think it's a bit of a stretch when you look at the description. They're described as well-educated and of high mental discipline. So a stupid wizard with low discipline will be kind of an oddity. It should be possible; it should maybe not be one of the preferred wizard builds. I don't know.

• Like 1

@Fearabbit I didn't mean to be spiteful. 

(I freely admit that I am enjoying the epic butthurt of certain people here though, it's freakin' hilarious. You're not among that group though; you're on the whole quite reasonable. I didn't care for your revision to the attribute system but I already explained my reasons in that thread.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Not sure if anyone else out there is as dense as I am, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to add camping supplies to your total in order to be able to rest more than three times in the beta. Finally figured out it happens automatically when you give them to your main character. Ye gods, I've found a total of 6 or 7 bundles of supplies in all the runs I've done so far, and every time it was one of the NPCs that picked them up. And there I was, scratching my head wondering how on earth to add them to the total. Finally found out last night when moving things around in the inventory.

So yeah, my suggestion. assuming this isn't already in the works, is no matter who in the party picks them up, just add them to the camping supply total automatically instead of having to move them into the main character's inventory.

• Like 6

Must be for balance reasons, because I refuse to believe they actually enforced something as simulationist as camping supplies while a big chunk of the game system is anti-simulationist.

• Like 1

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Is there a blog post or article that explains why they went with a system that limits the number of rests?

Not that I recall. But I'm sure it has to do with the game mechanics, which are very similar to D&D 4th Edition, where your powers/abilities/spells/talents are based on unlimited/per encounter/per day uses. Restricting resting means you can't have unlimited uses of your most powerful abilities. As well, they wanted to limit the ability to heal health damage, which can only be healed by resting.

Yes, limited supplies are there to stop rest-spamming after each battle

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I couldn't find a really fitting UI thread for this (You are not allowed to search for "UI" on these forums, its too short):

My suggestion is that we get to have two small buttons (and even better two hotkeys) for cycling through our party members (instead of just clicking on their portraits), backwards and forwards. Over the course of several hours of playing, this would alleviate stuff considerably. :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What I want more than anything, is to have the timer bars on the portraits, the tags on the people get to cluster ****ed with all of the mobs and themselves.  Along with the action icon, so that I know what each person is doing from the portraits, rather than the tags.

• Like 2

Guest Madolite

I noticed that the Moon Godlike's head 4/4 is not visible on screen, and this made me think a little.

Assuming that the absence of the head is a bug, wouldn't it be cool if all the races had an option to have no head? Imagine a floating helmet about a headless body or similar. This would obviously be for kicks only but, since this is a single-player game, then why not add it to the game as an easter egg thing?

It might even make more people talk about the game through social media, since this is something almost no roleplaying game ever implements. In fact, I've yet to play a single game with this option, even though it could in some settings even make sense (though probably not PoE).

What do you guys think? I don't want the devs to be distracted from all the other stuff they need to do, but I don't see how it can hurt. We're just talking about a head model with 100% transparent texture mesh.